Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP lan problems

• Please log in to reply

x_ChaOs_x

x_ChaOs_x

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
:tazz:

I have 2 pc's both with windows xp sp2.

One pc (pc 1) is the lan's server, and connects directly to the internet, I can share internet with a third computer, a notebook, without problems.

I have two network ethernet cards on pc1 , one I use to connect to the notebook, and the other is used to connect to the other pc ( pc 2). I have a xp software bridge between both connections.

There seem to be no hardware problems with the cards, and i am using a crossed cable that works correctly.

The problem is:
pc2 and pc1 can't see each other on the lan, and don't respond to pings.
On each pc, the connection's status shows N bytes sent, none received.
Each says the other computer is not found when i use "ping name", and i get only timeouts when i use "ping ip".

Ics should work even with automatic ip settings just running the wizzard, and it does with the pc1-notebook, but for some reason it doesn't with pc1-pc2.
I am trying to use static ip's just to see if i can connect pc1-pc2 just so they can ping each other..

IP configuration:
PC1
fixed ip - 192.168.0.1
mask-255.255.255.0

PC2
fixed ip - 192.168.0.2
mask-255.255.255.0
gateway -192.168.0.1
DNS and DHCP (i think..)server -192.168.0.1

I have pc-cillin and i have opened the firewall on each with an entry using subnet and the other computer's ip and mask(again i didnt do this before and ics worked with the notebook just using the wizard).

Both have netbios activated over TCP IP (it says to do so if using fixed ip's).

If I use automatic ip settings pc2 warns about non-existent/limited connection connectivity(can't get ip address), but it fixed ip's it seems fine, but just doesn't work (both pcs send, but don't receive).

Any ideas?

Advertisements

smoyer

smoyer

• Pip
  • 4 posts
You mention a third machine on the LAN. Is it also XP? If not, try turning of the Computer Browser. This is located in Services. You need to leave just one machine with it started. Sometimes in a "mixed" os environment having all the machines with the Computer Browser on causes a problem.

When you turn of the browser on a machine, reboot and then give it a couple minutes for the one computer that is running the browser to sync everyting.

x_ChaOs_x

x_ChaOs_x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
the third machine is a notebook, it has xp sp2 also.

Ill try to do that anyway, tks.

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Have you enabled File and Printer Sharing on all the Service Pack 2 computers? If not then you have to do that in order to share files, printers, etc... Also try totally disabling your other firewall for testing purposes.

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

x_ChaOs_x

x_ChaOs_x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have file and printer charing enabled on both computers.

Tried turning off firewalls, didnt work -_-

Tried turning off the computer browser on pc2, didnt work (all three computers have sp2 xp anyway)

gilazilla

gilazilla

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
hey, try changing ur PC1 ip=192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.3 cause i notice that ur gateway for PC2 is also 192.168.0.1.

that is my opinion. Dunno can work or not? :tazz:

x_ChaOs_x

x_ChaOs_x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Another thing, it seems that even with the pc1-notebook ,I have to run the network configuration assistant -every time- pc1 is restarted to get ics and file and printer sharing.