Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP service pack3 - edit "Boot.ini file"

• Please log in to reply

rustyagain

rustyagain

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hi and Good morning to all
I have first tried upgradeing the service 3 from the update page then down loaded the full service pack 3 from http://support.micro...kb/327101/en-us.
In both cases refused to load due I think to 3rd party Boot.ini file as shown -

[boot loader]
timeout=3
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /TUTag=4OTSMU /Kernel=TUKernel.exe
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (TuneUp Backup)" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /TUTag=4OTSMU-BAK

I have removed the Tuneup program using windows add/remove program but this has not removed or changed the above Boot file - as I understand I now have to edit and remove all ref to Tune up and just leave

[boot loader]
timeout=3
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition"

before I dive in and stop my machine booting up at all I would appreciate any advice or cofirmation
thanks for your time
rusty

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Don't have an answer to your question, but this is a link to others that are having SP3 problems.

Ron

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello rustyagain...

SP3 won't download/install properly with windows running on a non-windows kernel. Remove the text shown in red below from your boot.ini file, then click "File" on the toolbar and choose "Save". Close all open windows and reboot...then try to download/install SP3.

[boot loader]
timeout=3
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /TUTag=4OTSMU /Kernel=TUKernel.exe
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (TuneUp Backup)" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /TUTag=4OTSMU-BAK

wannabe1

rustyagain

rustyagain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Wannab 1.5, Thanks for help, advice and confirmation of what to remove, Could you advice if would be ok to reload the Tuneup software after loading SP3 or will it clash again ??
thanks for time & help

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yes...it should be ok to reinstall Tune-Up after the SP3 installation.

It's not so much that Tune-Up clashes with SP3...it's just that the SP3 download and installation is picky. It wants to be running on standard Windows core files when it installs...Tune-Up has Windows start with some if it's own kernel files instead of the Windows ones...so SP3 throws a fit.

rustyagain

rustyagain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Wannabe1 - just a big vote of thanks for your replys and assistance, all went well and now doing same on 3 more computers
Thanks again Rusty

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You are quite welcome... :)