Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Xbox360 Live problem

• Please log in to reply

tyroto411

tyroto411

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I am trying to connect my Xbox360 that I just got yesterday to live, I just wanted to see what it was all about so I don't have gold yet. I have my laptop with wireless internet connected to my 360 via the ethernet cable that came with it. When I tried to connect it confirms everything BUT XboxLive fails. I am not banned so any ideas???

Advertisements

John Hook

John Hook

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
tyroto411,

To connect your XBOX 360 to the Internet, you'll need to connect it to a router, hub or switch attached to your broadband Internet modem. The XBOX 360 DOES NOT have built in Wireless capability - although you can ADD wireless capability if you purchase an add-on device.

There MAY be a way to setup Internet sharing on your laptop - provided your laptop has an existing, working Internet connection via WiFi - but the easier solution would be to connect your XBOX 360 via CAT5 cable to an unused port on your wireless or wired router (provided you HAVE one) OR directly to your Broadband cable modem.

Reply with more information about your setup - i.e. what type of Broadband service do you have (i.e. Cable, DSL, ?) - do you have a Router (wireless or otherwise)? If so, what is the route's make/model What kind of laptop do you have (make/model and version of Windows you're running). Is your laptop accessing the Internet via WiFi?

A better understanding of the details of your setup will help me and others here give you more detailed and constructive advice. There are too many unknowns about your setup right now to provide specific advice.

- John

tyroto411

tyroto411

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
To connect your XBOX 360 to the Internet, you'll need to connect it to a router, hub or switch attached to your broadband Internet modem. The XBOX 360 DOES NOT have built in Wireless capability - although you can ADD wireless capability if you purchase an add-on device.

I understand that but the add-on device is what the laptop is supposed to be, this is supposed to save me $100.00 because I don't want to spend it on buying an adapter. I do have WiFi because I have my laptop downstairs and my router upstairs along with my modem and desktop. I believe my Broadband service is cable. My router is a Belkin 54g. My laptop is a Gateway mx7525 with Windows XP. Yes my laptop is accessing internet via WiFi.

I hope this helps.

John Hook

John Hook

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
tyroto411,

Since your laptop is connecting to the Internet via WiFi, you should be able to set up XP's Internet Connection Sharing feature.

This will allow you to "share" the WiFi Internet connection with your XBox 360 via your laptop's Ethernet connection.

Here are the detailed, step-by-step instructions found on Microsoft's Knowledgebase:

http://support.micro...kb/314066/en-us

Feel free to reply if you have questions about Microsoft's instructions.

- John

tyroto411

tyroto411

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Ya funny thing, I already did that. Any other ideas???

John Hook

John Hook

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
tyroto411,

Sorry - I wasn't aware that you had alread configured Internet connection sharing on your laptop.

I believe the issue is with your Belkin Router. There may be port triggering / port forwarding settings that require configuring in order for your XBOX 360 to connect to the XBOX Live servers.

Check out THIS site:

http://portforward.c...ox_Live_360.htm

Before you mess around with this, I would recommend trying to directly connect your XBOX 360 to your Cable Modem (i.e. temporarily ELIMINATE the Belkin Router). This will at least confirm that this issue is being caused by your Belkin Router.

Try connecting your XBOX 360 to one of the 4 ethernet ports on the back of your Belkin Router as well.

Another thing to consider is that if you get the router set up correctly for your XBOX 360, you might still have to open up ports on your Windows XP firewall software protecting your laptop's shared Internet connection.

- John

tyroto411

tyroto411

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Nothing seems to go right for me. I entered the info but it said I can't do the step with the 88 because it will cause interference.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
What service do you have using port 88?

John Hook

John Hook

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
tyroto411,

In your first post, you stated:

When I tried to connect it confirms everything BUT XboxLive fails.

Do you have friends with XBOX 360's connected to the Internet? I ask because it would be helpful to try logging into XBOX Live! from a different XBOX 360 system to confirm that your accout IS working properly. If your Live! account works elsewhere, then the problem could be with:

1) The XBOX 360's configuration

2) The Internet Sharing connection on your laptop

3) Compatibility or port-forwarding issues with your Belkin Router

4) Some combination of all the above

Given the fact that you've got many different things which could be causing this problem, the BEST way to solve the problem is through a step-by-step process of elimination. Randomly changing things is only going to cause wasted time and frustration. In the end - if you just randomly change things - often you never truly know WHAT the exact cause of the problem was in the first place.

If possible, I would try connecting your XBOX 360 to a KNOWN working Internet connection - i.e. a friend with an XBOX 360 and Internet connection. If you are able to access XBOX Live! in this setting, the the problem is either your laptop and/or Belkin Router. If you CANNOT access Live! on another known working connection - then there's something incorrectly configured on your XBOX 360.

If you determine that your XBOX 360 works fine on another connection, then you need to determine if the problem is with your Laptop or your router. To do so, you basically need to figure out a way to temporarily RE-LOCATE your XBOX and monitor or TV such that it can be PHYSICALLY connected to your Belkin Router and/or Cable Modem. I realize that these devices are in different parts of your place - but this is the only way to determine if your cable modem or router is the source of failure. I would first try plugging your XBOX 360 DIRECTLY into the Internet connection on your cable modem. Disconnect the end of the cable between your cable modem and router from the back of the router. Plug this end directly into your XBOX 360. I would power-reset BOTH the cable modem and XBOX 360, then attempt to connect to Live! This should work - if it doesn't then the problem is likely with your cable modem or cable Internet service (blocked ports?). Chances are this direct cable modem to XBOX configuration WILL work.

If the previous step was successful, reconnect your cable modem to the appropriate connector on your router and power reset BOTH the cable modem and router. Get on your laptop and make sure that you can still access the Internet (try browsing the web). Your Belkin router has 4 switched Ethernet ports. Plug your XBOX directly into one of those free 4 ports on your router, power reset your XBOX, and then try connecting to Live! If you CAN connect to Live! with your XBOX connected directly through the router, then the problem is with the Internet Connection sharing or some firewall setting on your Laptop. If you CANNOT connect to live while directly connected to your router - then the router is all or part of the problem.

I wish there were a quick, easy fix I could offer, but your setup is rather complex in that you're accessing the Internet through a series of 3 different devices. In addition, you may have some IP or network connection improperly configured on your XBOX 360. Your Live! account might be an issue as well.

I've connected BOTH of my nephew's XBOX 360s to our home router (we also have Cable Internet) and they were both able to access Live! without any problems. I didn't have to set up any port forwarding or port triggering on our router. They didn't have to do anything special on their XBOX 360s. Once the connection was detected, tested and confirmed, I believe all they had to do was enter their LIVE! username and password.

I understand how frustrating this has been for you. The random approach of changing “this and that” is clearly NOT working. I think it would be best to start over and troubleshoot one component at a time.

You may want to seriously consider running a CAT5 cable from your modem/router to wherever your XBOX 360 is located. Wired Ethernet connections are MUCH faster and not prone to RF interference or signal strength issues. My nephew also has a PlayStation 3, which has built in WiFi. Still, I ended up running a CAT5 cable from the router in our basement to his bedroom upstairs because he was having problems using this game system with WiFi (slow, unreliable, etc.),

- John

tyroto411

tyroto411

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
well i just caved in and bought the dumb adapter, thanks for all your help john.

John Hook

John Hook

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
tyroto411

Reply and let me know if the XBOX 360 WiFi adapter is working and allowing you to connect to LIVE! I ask this because if your Belkin Router is the cause of your problems - then having a dedicated WiFi adapter for the XBOX 360 may not solve the problem.

Known all of the time and frustration this has cause you, for your sake, I hope is does work!

- John

tyroto411

tyroto411

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Well John the adapter does definatly work and I am satisfied, I just don't like the whole $100.00 idea. :)