Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ati2dvag BSOD?

• Please log in to reply

ComputerNoobMan

ComputerNoobMan

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Posted Image
There's the BSOD as you can see. The problem that happens is whenever I'm playing ROSE online or Maple Story, about 5-10 seconds of actual gameplay, the screen will freeze, go blank, and the BSOD pops up. I have an ATI Card so I enabled VPU Recover to see if that would help, and it does, the screen will still freeze, but it'll come back, but after about 3 or 4 freezes, it'll freeze completely and I have to manually turn off the computer. This problem seemed to arise after I upgraded my ram, which was after I upgraded my video card.

Specs:
HP Pavilion 752n
Original
Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 2
Intel Pentium 4 2.00 ghz
60gb harddrive
500gb external harddrive
Intel Graphics Controller 82845g
512 mb ram

Upgraded Vid Card
Intel Pentium 4 2.00 ghz
60gb harddrive
500gb external harddrive
VisionTek ATI Radeon x1550 series 256 mb graphics card
512 mb ram

Upgraded Ram
Intel Pentium 4 2.00 ghz
60gb harddrive
500gb external harddrive
VisionTek ATI Radeon x1550 series 256 mb graphics card
1024 mb ram

I've googled my problem, and have tried the various solutions I found which were updating driver for PCI to PCI Bridge, reinstalling drivers, (even tried omega drivers).

I'm pretty sure both my video card and ram are fine, since I can do everything else I need on my computer, such as word processing, internet, etc. Other games work fine too, such as guild wars, star wars battlefront 2, flyff, rappelz.

The video card and RAM are fairly new, I got the ram about a week ago, and the card about 2 weeks ago, so I don't think much dust could have piled up on it, but I haven't checked that yet.

Another solution I found was to test the video card on another computer, but since I don't have another computer to test the card on I can't do that.

A last note, would a system recover help this at all? Since it's an hp computer I have this feature instead of having a windows cd, and since I upgraded my video card, and since it formats it to the factory settings, would I have to remove the video card and RAM before I do a system recover?

I hope that's enough information, please help!

Doug

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Doug
1st Thing I would try is right click on the desktop>propertities>settings>Advanced
If you have a trouble shooting tab then click on that if there is a hardware acceleration then then change the slider down towards none - try about half way. Click ok to save and exit.
Does this help ?
Cheers
Peterm

ComputerNoobMan

ComputerNoobMan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I tried putting it to none, but none of the games worked. Then i did it about putting it down a little bit, so my games would still work. but the problem still arises. On another note, I only found this problem after disabling VPU Recover in my settings. When I had this enabled, the problem was similar but no BSOD, it would freeze, blank out, then reappear. It was only until I disabled VPU Recover that I came across this problem. But either way, VPU recover disabled or enabled the monitor will blank out frequently when I'm playing those 2 specific games I mentioned.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Now for the not so good news it looks like it is your video card
Click on me

Here is a fix that works on some computers - your choice as to try or not as I said it has a degree of success.
Make a system restore point first. If you do not know how to let me know.

Right click on My Computer
Choose Properties
Choose the Hardware(Tab)
Choose Device Manager(button)
Click the [+] next to System devices
Right click on CPU to AGP Controller
Choose the Update Driver(button)

Select Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)
Choose Next(button)
Select "Don't search. I will choose the driver to install."
Choose Next(button)
Select PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge
Hit Next(button)
Hit Finish(button)
Reboot.

Cheers
Peterm

Edited by peterm, 25 August 2007 - 08:47 PM.

ComputerNoobMan

ComputerNoobMan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I've done a system restore before and I tried it but it didn't work, I restored it to 2 weeks before the problem happened, but it still keeps occuring. The solution you've listed isn't exactly applicable to me, but I found a system device called PCI Standerd PCI-to-PCI Bridge and updated the driver that way, but the problem again still persists. Would a system format work at all?

Can this really be my video card? The video card is pretty new, i bought it about 3 weeks ago, and this problem seemd to arise after i upgraded my ram. But everything else works smoothly, except for those 2 games.

Edited by ComputerNoobMan, 25 August 2007 - 09:13 PM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Ok
Step 1 is to revert the ram and see if the problem goes away.
I meant to make a system restore point before changing the driver over not to do a system restore.
Did you read the link I gave you ?

fuzion

fuzion

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am having the same problem. I have read pretty much every page that relates to this issue, but most solutions are old and don't really apply to my hardware.
I have a X1950Pro PCI-E, on an Asus A8N-SLI Premium board. I pulled the card and tested it with another more modern box (X2 3800) and played just fine.
I am running a fresh install of Windows XP Pro that I just reinstalled today. I am also running the very latest drivers for all of my hardware but I still get the same problems as before.

List of stuff I've checked already:

Temperatures
BIOS settings
BIOS version
Driver versions
DirectX
Google

Also, I should note that this issue seems to mainly affect COD2. I play BF2 just fine before I reinstalled Windows.

ComputerNoobMan

ComputerNoobMan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Ok
Step 1 is to revert the ram and see if the problem goes away.
I meant to make a system restore point before changing the driver over not to do a system restore.
Did you read the link I gave you ?

yes, i've actually found that site before i came here and followed the instructions, but it doesn't seem to work

i'll try putting back the old ram tomorrow morning, but even if the problem goes away, i don't want to go through the hassle of finding ram that's compatible with my computer again (it took a while to find some that actually worked with my computer to begin with)

Edited by ComputerNoobMan, 25 August 2007 - 11:36 PM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
As I said it seems to be the video card - lets see what the ram does

fuzion

fuzion

• Pip
  • 2 posts
For what its worth, I seem to have fixed my problem by taking out all of the cards and cleaning the PCI and PCI-e slots with compressed air.
I also cleaned out the heatsink on my video card, even though nothing really seemed dusty... Heck, the card may have just been slightly unseated... who knows...
Anyway, I played for several hours last night and even ran 3dmark a couple of times and everything was fine.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
:whistling: Well done
Thanks for reporting back it always helps to know what fixed the problem
Cheers
Peterm