Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cannot run exe/application files [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

neofite

neofite

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I had a trojan horse (I believe) when I completed the removal with AVG by Rebooting, I was no longer able to open application files. Only internet explorer and Outlook will load. I cannot load any new files or install anything. When I try to open an application I get the error "Unknown File Type" and asks if I want to look for a program to open it. Checking properties reveals a blank where there should be a file type. all my short cuts have lnk or Ink next to them and a pale icon.
I'm guessing this will either be easy or impossible.
I cannot load control pannel or anything else. I can load task manager and I do have some programs such as parts of AVG running. Even though AVG will not load. I placed the drive in another computer and did a virus scan which brought up three trojan horses:
Trojan horse rootkit Pakes A
Trojan horse Agent2FJQ
Trojan horse Agent2FJP
upon loading windows and opening my account I get the message "cannot open Adobe Gamma loader lnk.
I cannot paste a log from rootrepeal because I cannot instal or run the program.
Thankyou for your assistance
bruce

Advertisements

neofite

neofite

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I've resolved the issue by doing a repair from the xp cd. It was good to find this site and the resources

thank you

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Thanks for letting us know. :)

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.