Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

comp freezing and trouble booting

• Please log in to reply

Krymzon

Krymzon

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
My laptop has been freezing and has been having toruble booting up. i think the freezing is from cpu and ram being maxed whilst being used..it freezes up for 2-20 minutes..cant do anything. It unfreezes and i can do whatever afterwards...i also have trouble booting up my laptop it started a couple weeks back it tarted by lagging and freezing whilst switching power modes and now it's progressed to rebooting several times before even getting to the windows loading screen. I ran memtest in windows and hd check in my bios , and no problems. I'm at a loss so far no virii or malware scans so far have found anything so..as i said i'm at a loss for what is going on. please help..

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Please, post some computer info:
- processor type, amount of RAM (hold Windows logo key, hit Pause/Break key)
- hard drive size/free space (open "My Computer", right click on hard drive letter, click "Properties")
- security programs in use (antivirus, firewall)

Krymzon

Krymzon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
it's in my sys descrip but here
System (optional): presario v6000(rp203ua#aba) laptop
amd turion 64 mk36 2.00 ghz
1gb ram
Operating System: vista home premium 32bit

80 gb hdd with about 2gb free, but it's ben that way for awhile

spybot s&h, teatimer
super antispyware
malwarebytes anti malware
proxyfirewall and privoxy

all i cna think off off hand

Edited by Krymzon, 17 October 2009 - 10:12 PM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

80 gb hdd with about 2gb free

The above is not good at all. Windows needs at least 15% of a free space to operate correctly, 12GB in your case.
You need to free some space.

What is your antivirus program? None of those, you listed, are AV programs.

Krymzon

Krymzon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
multivirus cleaner, ClamWin Portable, avast portable

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Oh boy....you better...

I suggest that you start a new topic in the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal area.

Before you start a new topic click on this link --> Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide, Please read before starting a new topic. This will give you a few preparations to make, as well as instruction for posting your OTListIt2 log.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Krymzon

Krymzon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Well I was sent back over here from http://www.geekstogo...ng-t256436.html . so yea I'm at a loss right now as to what to do...locks up during flash games too..more so then most other games I have played.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I have to agree with Broni on at least part of your issue is due to the amount of free space available on your HD.
You MFT (Master File Table) is probably corrupted and that is in part causing some of your problem.

Krymzon

Krymzon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
well i now have about 11.6 gb free dunno how to rmove anymore space right this minute, it's an 80 gb but only 72 show up and i have a 6gb or so recovery virtual drive

Krymzon

Krymzon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
How might one fix this if there were something messed up about it

Advertisements

Krymzon

Krymzon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I used my recovry disks i made from my restore parition on the laptop, seems it only made things slightly worse..

Reality Land

Reality Land

• Pip
  • 5 posts

I used my recovry disks i made from my restore parition on the laptop, seems it only made things slightly worse..

I am a novice but here is what I would do. Go get SuperAntiSpyWare Free edition and scan your PC. Make sure you are off line at the time of your scan. Do this after you clean you HDD and free as much memory as you can and then do a defrag. You do need that 15%. BTW, a bigger HDD may be in order here. Although some people disagree, I love my Registry Mecahanic. It solves a lot of registry issues. Do the malware scan twice and then see how things are working. To keep my OS working I have two Malware programs, a registry cleaner, and Norton firewall/antivirus. I run all daily along with updates. I defrag and clean un-needed programs / files regularly. Good luck.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
We here at GTG do not advise the use of any Registry cleaner or optimizer program.
A registry cleaner will not increase your system's speed or performance, and has the potential to break your registry to the point that your PC is no longer bootable. We strongly advise that people stay away from any of the registry cleaners out there. Go HERE to get more information about why registry cleaners aren't needed.

Thanks to Sari for the explanation

Krymzon

Krymzon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I've done malware virii and other scans, did memtest thru windows repair and done hd testing via my bios Already. I just used my recovery disks i ade before hand trying to free more hdd space, by removing the presario rp partition i do believe, i have almost my entire hdd empty now from doing so and i still have the issues, now even more so than before. Now I run fine in sfae mode with no trouble so far as far s locking up goes but i'm going to use it in safe mode for awhile to see if it does lock up in such. i'm thinking my fan might be going out, but I'm not entirely sure it still runs and it doesnt sound like the bushings/bearing are gone out of it no squeaking or funny sounds. I'm just at a loss, I figure dI'd give factory defaults a try and see if it worked...but so far no go for the most part, it actually locks up for hours now, and it can happen anytime in normal mode. Any help would be of great benefit..and I have no idea how one might fix the MFT unless that woud require a full format and reinstall which I dont know how to do in vista myself and even then I dont know if it would help. I dont wanna have to send it to compaq, because I dont have the money on hand right this second to spend on it, it was a gift form my uncle and he only had a like one year or 2 warranty and it rna out lasttime I sent it back. I'm thinking on gtting a alienware m15x when i get some extra cash flowing, but that'll be a month or two away and not having this work is killing me, I'm a graphic esigner and all and i like doodling on my graphics tablt as well and running my emu, and seeign as I cant do any of that it's driving me crazy lol anyway nay help would be greatly appreciated.

jtscustomcomputers

jtscustomcomputers

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
I would start by giving any and all fan/air vents a good cleaning with some canned air to ensure you are not overheating somewhere and causing a lock up. I would also reseat memory modules...............Don't attempt this unless you know how to get around a laptop and understand proper safety precautions!

Do you get any beeps when this happens at startup? If so how many?

Edited by jtscustomcomputers, 10 November 2009 - 09:46 PM.