Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

corrupt file: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Peepo28

Peepo28

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
Please help! my boyfriend somehow screwed up our laptop so bad that it would only go to a black screen that said "disk error press any key to restart". I somehow figured out thru my own knowledge and searching on the net, to get the windows XP cd and try to recover it somehow. I did that and tried to run the recovery console, but for some reason, i couldn't really do much cuz i was confused out of my mind AND the stuff i was trying to do wasnt working.

I was supposed to create another folder or something called md tmp, then i was supposed to copy C:\windows\ yada yada yada, then delete C:\windows\ yada yada yada. but it kept saying that there was no directory to copy from or copy into. weird...

so then i decided to delete a partition (along with my old operating system) so i could re-install windows XP. what ended up happening is that it seemed to be working until it said that a whole boat load of files could not be copied. I ignored those error messages and continued with the set up, but at the end, it was all messed up b/c so many files could not copy!

now, this is where i'm up to. Whenever I restart, its a black screen that says:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM.

Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair."

CZARINA POSTED: You need to set your boot order in BIOS to cd first (usually done by tapping the delete key at boot) and insert your XP CD. You will need to do a clean install. You cannot delete Windows files, as you have discovered. Usually, a repair or reinstall is initiated by the cd, not the GUI (User interface) or within Windows.

Are there any other suggestions? I'm going to try to do what Czarina said. But i need all the help i can get!!

P.S. I had this post in two other posts but I guess it should've been put in as a separate topic, so thats why i copied it into here. :tazz:

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

The "repair" is your only real option other than a complete re-install..

Boot up with the XP CD in the drive and let Setup run. Go past the "C" and "R" repair options by presssing Enter just as if you're doing a clean install and you'll eventually get an option to "Repair an existing installation". That's the one you want. If it asks about formatting you've gone wrong, so start over.

You'll get to keep your existing apps & settings, but you need to re-install SP2, Windows Updates & any unsigned drivers afterwards. NOTE: Be aware that you'll lose any protection from Blaster / Sasser type worms. Don't go online without a firewall, whether the built in Windows one or 3rd party.

Important - there is always an element of risk, so make sure that you have any important data that you cannot afford to lose backed up first.

Murray

Peepo28

Peepo28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
I don't see "Repair an existing installation". When i do all that, i see:

Windows XP Home Edition Setup

The following list shows the existing partitions and unpartitioned space on this computer.

Use the UP and DOWN ARROW keys to select an item in the list.
-To set up Windows XP on the selected item, press ENTER.
-To create a parition in the unparitioned space, press C.
-To delete the selected partition, press D.

Then in a box it says:
111510 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]

C: Partition1 [FAT32] 111510 MB ( 10872 MB free)

Then all i can do is press Enter to Install press D to Delete Partition or press F3 to Quit.... arghh....what do i do? hope someone can help!!

:tazz:

Peepo28

Peepo28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
then the next screen talks about formatting NTSF or FAT32 (quick) which means that i did something wrong??

Peepo28

Peepo28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
well, i'll be online for another hour, hopefully someone can help me during this time. thanks in advance! :tazz:

Peepo28

Peepo28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
<bump>!! please!! now i'm formating FAT partition to try to re-install windows xp.... this is getting so frustrating!! :tazz:

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
What you got is what you should have gotten on a wiped hdd.. So, you want to use the first option!!

Murray

Peepo28

Peepo28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
ok, fine. but then it may put me back through to the windows setup and then not copy those files...sheesh...it takes so long to set it up, then towards the end, it doesn't even work b/c it has all these error messages... i'm so confused. so i guess i'll try to re-install AGAIN....

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Before you go to far, try cleaning your cd-rom with a cd lense cleaner.. Then, use a soft, lint-free cloth and clean your XP cd..

Lastly, is your XP cd an original or a copy you or someone made for you (different setup procedure)..

Murray

Peepo28

Peepo28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
now i decided to click on R again to see if i could recover anthing and its asking for an administrator password....which of course i dont have....

i really need advice guys.. :tazz:

Advertisements

Peepo28

Peepo28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
thanks murray.

its a copy of the cd. but i have the reg. code and everything...

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Calm down. Do not panic. You want to delete the partitions, and do the full format with NTFS. Since you have XP, might as well take advantage of it. Did you click the link I sent you with the screenshots in the other post? It is not hard to reinstall Windows, and I suspect you have trashed your current install, so I don't think repairing is going to do any good. (Murray, the initial post I saw was tacked onto another, and because of the attempt to delete system files, I didn't suggest a repair)

If I were doing this, I would make a partition for Windows, about 7 to 10 gigs or so (room to install programs) and then the rest of the drive would be for data storage. Since you are doing a clean install, now is an ideal time to do this. Read through the information on the link, and follow the prompts.

Johanna

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

thanks murray.

its a copy of the cd.  but i have the reg. code and everything...

View Post

Bad burn.. Use the original cd!!

Murray

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

(Murray, the initial post I saw was tacked onto another, and because of the attempt to delete system files, I didn't suggest a repair)

Johanna

View Post

A repair wouldn't help right now anyways Johanna as she has already wiped the system.. Nothing left to repair!!

Murray

:tazz: Read almost that exact comment just before what you posted to me !!

Murray

Edited by Murray S., 18 July 2005 - 08:10 PM.

Peepo28

Peepo28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
ok. so i should format the NTFS, not the quick one, but the regular one.

also, i'm now getting a blue screen with the words:

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

The video driver failed to initialize

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed.
If this is a new installation, as your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advance Startup options, then select safe mode.

Technical information:
***STOP: 0x000000B4 (0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00050000)"