Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ctfmon and explorer.exe

• Please log in to reply

b-dawg

b-dawg

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am having an issue when trying to shutdown my computer. When i click shutdown 2 dialog boxes show up an prevent the computer from shutting down until i click the end now button. The 2 programs are ctfmon and explorer. Please help me as this a problem when i try to shut down and leave, because when i return my computer has been running the entire time.

Advertisements

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Since the release of IE7, I have noticed an increase in the number of posts in many
forums complaining about unexplained slowness, hanging, and freezing, as well as
many more complaints about high unexplained CPU readings. IE7 activated a minor
"Office" process that has to do with voice, handwriting, and language text switching
called ctfmon.exe. This is the Microsoft info page on ctfmon:

http://support.micro...spx?kbid=282599

I found it confusing and occult at best. In plain language, ctfmon, once started
always returns at boot even if disabled in msconfig unless removed according to the
linked instructions OR by turning off "Advanced Text Services." This choice does
not prevent the other functions of ctfmon from working in Office when needed,
but does stop this often resource demanding process from starting with Windows and
running continuously.

Important note: The Windows ctfmon.exe lives in the system32 folder. There are malwares
that use the same name, notably ctfmon32. These will be found elsewhere. When in
doubt-get help.

To stop ctfmon from autostarting and running all the time:

Control Panel>Regional and Language Options>Languages>Details>Advanced,
and check the box that says "Turn off advanced text services."

Many users report many fewer "unexplained" problems after taking this action, and
it can be easily reversed by simply unchecking the same box.

b-dawg

b-dawg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
thank you. I don't know if this is going to work, but i'm going to try it. Again i thank you

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Always happy to help. :-)

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
you could give this a try
uphclean

at times the registry doesnt really close
as quick as it should some programs are still shutting down