Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ddr2-ddr3

• Please log in to reply

grassi

grassi

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Hello, im building a cpu, and ive got the corsair pc2 8500 ddr2 memory, the only thing left to buy is the graphics card, the recomendation given to me was the 8800GTS 512, however does it have to be ddr2(not sure ddr... wise, what i need to match? I found this deal and thought it would be better?
http://www.tigerdire...p;Sku=P450-8800

MB: EP35-DS3L

Edited by grassi, 22 September 2008 - 07:45 PM.

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
The memory on the video card has nothing to do with the system RAM. I would recommend the HD4850 over either of those cards.

grassi

grassi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
thanks for the quick reply, ill look into your recom...

The reason was i only am interested to get the best video card for enemy territory. I found this...

http://www.tomshardw...on,2007-15.html

Edited by grassi, 22 September 2008 - 08:41 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
If you're only playing that one game, then (according to that single review) the 8800GTS (512) wouldn't be a bad choice. There were some mixed results in that review, though, as cards varied quite a bit depending on the resolution being tested.

Let's not forget that the 4850 is an excellent card, and will still run the game well. Also, the 4850 will play other games better (if you play any other games).

Troy

=OSS*ROID=

=OSS*ROID=

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
its awesome how sometimes the older cards outperform the new cards in some games. U would think that the newer cards would wipe the floor with the older ones, but i guess not. The 8800GTS is a pretty good card, i had it for about a years and its still running strong. I do recommend nVidia, but i do have to admit, the 4850 is a very good card especially for the price. It will run anything you throw at it. :)

grassi

grassi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
http://www.tomshardw...on,2007-15.html

I thought i was looking for the higher fps? If so then seems to me 8800 gts oc is a good choice. Other than the 1920x1200 spec. I dunno, im getting real confused with the terms/cpu language, lol. Maybe im not understanding this enough.

The following is located on the top of that page, and i thought its was being negative about the HD 4850? I dunno?

"Quake wars runs with OpenGL and reacts very differently to SLIsli and CrossFire. Whereas the older graphics chips do at least benefit from the doubling of 3D power in the higher resolutions, the Radeon HDradeon hd 4850, HD 4870, GeForce GTX 260 and GTXgtx 280 show no improvement"

Edited by grassi, 23 September 2008 - 09:24 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

Other than the 1920x1200 spec.

This was my point about some differences being there. If you are running at this resolution, then you can see that the 8800GTS does not always come on top.

"Quake wars runs with OpenGL and reacts very differently to SLIsli and CrossFire. Whereas the older graphics chips do at least benefit from the doubling of 3D power in the higher resolutions, the Radeon HDradeon hd 4850, HD 4870, GeForce GTX 260 and GTXgtx 280 show no improvement"

If you aren't intending on running SLI or Crossfire, then this point is irrelevant.

Cheers

Troy

grassi

grassi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
okay thanks for the lesson :) .
Im not using sli or crossfire. Actually not sure what they are. But im sure i will learn soon enoough, and might even try going those routes. For now i guess im staying simple(helps me sleep at night, lol.).
Thanks for the replies...