Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Very, Very Slow to Boot (20 min)

• Please log in to reply

Clipper44

Clipper44

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi --

I've gone through the Malware forum for this problem and they couldn't find anything unusual running on my computer:

http://www.geekstogo...view=getnewpost

I can boot up in a reasonable amount of time in Safe Mode, but not in Normal Mode.

I have done the Check Disk, Degrag & Start Up Purge suggested.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Advertisements

latigid

latigid

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
general areas explained:
prefetch cache
defrag
network drives
spyware/adware

http://www.intelliad...o-start-up.html

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Since you've already done the checkdisk, disc cleanup, and disabled all unnecessary start-up processes, and since boot is normal in safe mode with limited drivers; I would suspect a hardware issue or USB problem. I know of some peripherals that actually prevent boot. As a diagnostic, I would try a boot with no peripherals attached. Also, what does Device Manager say? Any recurring errors or warnings in the Event logs?

Clipper44

Clipper44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi Doc --

Thanks for the hint on the event logging. It seems that LexBCEX.exe (Lexmark print sharing) was the culprit. I uninstalled & reinstalled the 2300 series printer and that seemed to have done the trick.

Unfortunately, even though the computer now snaps through the boot process, a number of programs that worked reliably in the past continually crash:

Serif PhotoPlus -- (When I try to save or even resize a photo)

Faulting application photoplus.exe, version 6.0.0.3, faulting module mfc42.dll, version 6.0.8168.0, fault address 0x00014ac3.
Fault bucket 204730528.

NTI CD/DVD Maker (When I try to Name the CD Volume):

Faulting application cdmkr32.exe, version 7.7.0.15, faulting module cdmkr32.exe, version 7.7.0.15, fault address 0x00019489.
Fault bucket 433801000.

Any idea what it might be all about?

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.

Clipper44

Clipper44

Clipper44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi Doc --

Thanks for the hint on the event logging. It seems that LexBCEX.exe (Lexmark print sharing) was the culprit. I uninstalled & reinstalled the 2300 series printer and that seemed to have done the trick.

Unfortunately, even though the computer now snaps through the boot process, a number of programs that worked reliably in the past continually crash:

Faulting application photoplus.exe, version 6.0.0.3, faulting module mfc42.dll, version 6.0.8168.0, fault address 0x00014ac3.
Fault bucket 204730528.

Faulting application cdmkr32.exe, version 7.7.0.15, faulting module cdmkr32.exe, version 7.7.0.15, fault address 0x00019489.
Fault bucket 433801000.

Clipper44

Clipper44

Clipper44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi Doc --

Thanks for the hint on the event logging. It seems that LexBCEX.exe (Lexmark print sharing) was the culprit. I uninstalled & reinstalled the 2300 series printer and that seems to have done the trick.

Fault bucket 204730528.

Fault bucket 433801000.

Clipper44

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Interestingly, many applications offer a Repair Install option in the Add/Remove Programs section after selecting Change/Remove. If the applications came on CD, that is almost always available from the CD. If no repair install is offered, I would just un- and then re-install the problematic applications. I think that either will do the trick.

Clipper44

Clipper44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi Doc --

I already tried reinstalling the software, but it did not help. PhotoPlus is totally useless now. If I don't try to rename the CD I'm Burning, the NTI burner software will work. I've had this happen occasionally with other programs (WordPerfect, QuattroPro) -- usually when accessing disk drive directories, but now this is every time.

They come through as Event ID 1000 & 1001, if that helps.

Thanks a bunch for your help.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Found this:

Event ID 1000 and 1001 - Windows cannot read the history of GPOs from the registry

- The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.

- Security policy cannot be propagated.

- The Group Policy client-side extension Security was passed flags (17) and returned a failure status code of (3).

If a multihomed domain controller does not have File and Printer Sharing bound to it, the following multiple problems are logged or displayed when you attempt to work with Group Policy objects on the domain controller:
1)UserEnv 1000 The Group Policy client-side extension Security was passed flags (17) and returned a failure status code of (3).
2) SceCli 1001 Security policy cannot be propagated. Cannot access the template. Error code = 3. \\domain name\sysvol\domain name\Policies\{31B2F340-016D-11D2-945F-00C04FB984F9}\Machine\Microsoft\Windows NT\SecEdit\GptTmpl.inf.
3) UserEnv 1000 Windows cannot access the registry information at \\domain name\sysvol\domain name\Policies\{31B2F340-016D-11D2-945F-00C04FB984F9}\Machine\registry.pol with (51).
4) Attempting to gain access to the Group Policy objects by using the Domain Security policy and the Default Domain Controller Security policy displays a "Group Policy Error" error message. The text of the message states: "Failed to Open Group Policy Object. You may not have appropriate rights. Details: The network path not found."
5) Attempting to access the Group Policy objects by using the Active Directory Users and Computers snap-in or Group Policy Editor displays a "Domain Controller for Domain domain name not found" error message. There are several options, none of which work.
6) Attempting to open the Sysvol share by using \\domain name\sysvol causes a "Remote Computer not available" error message.
RESOLUTION:
1) Change the binding order of the network adapters so that the adapter that is listed at the top of the Connections list has File and Printer Sharing bound to it.
2) Make sure File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks is enabled on the interface.
3) Disable unplugged network adapters if you have more than one adapters in the computers.
4) Restore \\winnt\sysvol from a backup.

Here is the source:http://www.chicagotech.net/wineventid.htm#How to fix Event ID 1000 and 1001 errors.

Are you part of a domain? I have no experience there.

Does the problem present in a newly created Admin account?

Clipper44

Clipper44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi Doc --

That's all greek to me. I'm the only user on my laptop and, though I do file sharing on my home network in the "WORKGROUP" Work Group, I don't know that I'm using domains.

The event error identified mfc42.dll as the offending culprit:

I changed the copy of mfc42.dll in the PhotoPlus Program file directory to match the version in c:\windows\system, but that did not help:

Faulting application photoplus.exe, version 6.0.0.3, faulting module mfc42.dll, version 6.2.4131.0, fault address 0x00013ac7.

Do you know anything about the mfc42.dll that I could try?

Thank you very much.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
You might try downloading a new copy: http://www.dlldump.c...0/download.html

Unfortunately I have no experience with networked computers, and it rather looks to me like that is the direction in which you are moving with this problem. I suggest that you start a new thread about this specific issue and wait for someone with this type of experience to help. Give as many details as you can.

Sorry I don't have magic for this one, but I'm still learning too.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Duplicate post

Edited by 1101doc, 28 July 2007 - 06:27 PM.

Clipper44

Clipper44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks for all your help, Doc.

I appreciate it.