Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building New Comp need help!

• Please log in to reply

theerobby

theerobby

• Pip
  • 9 posts
OK well i have a old computer that sucks and I was wondering if i should upgrade it or just make a new computer? If i was to make a new computer I would sell the old one and was wondering what i should buy including case,mother board, cooler, etc....... And if not and just to upgrade it i was wondering what new stuff i could buy for it. My old computer has a old mother board and a bad cpu and probably not the best ram 512 lol. And a terrible video card. So i was wondering what i should buy for it to upgrade it. Ty for your help.

Advertisements

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
You're probably better off just building a new computer. If you did an upgrade, you'll still have the worst of whatever you leave in the system.

CrazyIvan007

CrazyIvan007

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
I would suggest a new build.

Couple start-off questions...

1) How experienced are you with the internal parts of a computer, diassembly/reassembly?

2) What do you want to use this new computer for? Give percentages... (ex: 50% Internet Browsing, 25% hardcore games, 25% photo editing).

theerobby

theerobby

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok well i can put a computer together and take out the parts and i would be using this computer for gaming and the internet

CrazyIvan007

CrazyIvan007

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
Kool. And what is your budget?

theerobby

theerobby

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
i would like to spend around $900-$1000 on it. if possible ! :)

CrazyIvan007

CrazyIvan007

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
I think a much better system can be built for $1000 than can be bought for $1000. I am awaiting my new system's parts, it is an AMD Quad 9950 system, I spent around $1200 after the first video card. But, you could get it down to $1k by downgrading the processor a bit (possibly to an Intel Core 2 Duo, or to a smaller AMD Quad) and downgrading the video card one step.

I can provide a detailed list if you are interested, at least we can start there and drum out the details after you take a look at it.

Edited by CrazyIvan007, 27 August 2008 - 10:18 PM.

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
Do you need the other parts like monitor, keyboard, mouse and OS? $1000 is a lot already if you have those other parts to re-use.

theerobby

theerobby

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
no i was planning on just gettin new mother board, video card, ram, and processor and hard drive

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Okay theerobby, I'm assuming you're going to be putting Vista on this, right? :)

PSU and Case come in a Combo deal on Newegg right now, you may be able to make use of this and save $$$
PSU
Case

And the rest (and then I'm off for lunch :) :) ):

Motherboard
Video Card
CPU
RAM
HDD
DVD Burner

Comes to $999.92, so make use of rebates and combos and you'll get it cheaper.

Don't forget you'll need to add an OS to this build, this is $1000 on the box only.

Troy

CrazyIvan007

CrazyIvan007

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
You can get Vista 64-Bit off of newegg or TigerDirect for $109.99. I got it, it is pretty cool. Things have changed a bit, but not so much you can't figure it out.

One thing I noticed which was different is that there is a "Program Files" folder and a "Program Files (x86)" folder. Kinda different, but now need to look multiple places for whatever...