Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP instability

• Please log in to reply

nondaj

nondaj

• PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Computer Specs:

Dell XPS400 Dimension
XP-Pro Version 2002 SP2
Pentium ® D CPU 2.80 GHz
2.79 GHz, 2.00 GB of Ram

E Drive – Sony CD-RW CRX217 E
IDE\CD Rom Sony
F Drive – HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW
GWA4164B
Video Card – Nvidia GeForce 6800
Sound Card – Sigma Tel High Defin.
Audio CODEC
XP-Pro Version 2002 SP2
Pentium ® D CPU 2.80 GHz
2.79 GHz, 2.00 GB of Ram

E Drive – Sony CD-RW CRX217 E
IDE\CD Rom Sony
F Drive – HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW
GWA4164B
Video Card – Nvidia GeForce 6800
Sound Card – Sigma Tel High Defin.
Audio CODEC

Situation: I am always so upset when I get a message my PC is unstable and may go down that I forget to note just exactly what I was doing at the time; best I can remember is I was online looking at a site.

Problem: I got this message
Some files on XP Pro have been replaced by later versions.
To continue may subject your computer to system instability
Put in Win XP Pro SP2 disc to correct this.

I put in the only disc I have ever had, received from Dell when I bought my PC from them. Then I get this message:

This is not the computer that this disc is used for. Put in the correct disc, Win XP Pro SP2, to continue!

I have no idea what they are talking about. I have NO other disc. Only thing I can think of is again that darned SP3 that I downloaded, thinking it was an upgrade NOT a new system so to speak, is causing me more problems. I had uninstalled SP3 and of course was shuttled back to an SP2 version.

I have immediately backed up my whole system on a large scan disc to be safe. Where do I go from here? I expect at any time re that message that my whole system will go down. Would have kept SP3 but was getting messages that said in order to continue what I was doing I needed to put in Win XP Pro disc with SP3 on it! Again I have no such disc! My OS disc is simply Win XP Pro SP2 Version 2002.

I can't seem to win 'coming or going'. Can someone enlighten me as to what is going on in this situation?

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Place the CD in the drive and click Exit when windows shows on the screen. click Start > Run. Type sfc /scannow (please note the space in the command) and click Enter. Windows will look for missing or corrupt files and will replace them. Let the process run to the end.

I wonder if the process will work on a computer that had SP-3 installed. Please report the results.

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Am off to comply and will report results. Thanks so much for this info to date.

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Well, this was a quick return. I get the same message - wrong disc is in the drive, please insert XP Pro SP2 to continue! I just do not understand.

I just now remember - I think SP2 is an upgrade from SP1 if I recall correctly. It has been awhile since I got the PC with this disc, so perhaps there was an upgrade from 1 to 2 in SPs and the disc I have is SP1 but SP2 is on my PC.

If so how does one ever operate re discs and SP versions if they keep calling for a disc with certain version and one's original disc does not have the latest SP version on it?

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Went back and ran the scannow feature despite the frequent requests for correct disc. I just cancelled each window and clicked to escape the file being considered.

The scannow finished and simply closed without any notations. Not sure if that means all OK or something else not right.

The OS instability - not sure if it still exists or where I stand now re the whole situation. This all has been such a hassle almost ready to reinstall SP3 except for the message I get that something cannot be done because I need a Win XP Pro disc with SP3 on it!

Good grief we are in outer space via computers and the ones we have here on earth are not working right!!!!!

Anything more I can try re this problem without adding to the confusion?

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
What is the label on your Dell CD? What is it called?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I should have added that when the process ends the dialog box just disappears, so it looks as if the process ran correctly. Whether it helped or not remains to be seen (if the dialog box shows again). If it didn't, download SP-3 again. When downloaded (windows updates yellow shields shows at the bottom), switch off your router and close all open applications including your antivirus. Right-click each of the icons at the right hand side of the Taskbar (near the clock) and close or exit each of them. Install SP-3 now.

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
It reads: WINDOWS xp
PROFESSIONAL Version 2002

GENUINE

Rest of the info is about not copying disc and rights of MS

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
And if I install SP3 again and yet again get messages that something cannot be done because I need to insert XP Pro disc with SP3 on it - what then?

As I recall I was trying to download something from the internet when I get this message before after installing SP3. I do not want to be prevented from doing something because of this SP3 install.

Just checked with few friends who installed SP3 and find one's PC went down (according to her); another one had problems and swore off SP3; and a third had NO PRoBLEMS. Very confusing I must say.

Want to think a bit about reinstalling SP3 to make sure I do not end up on the short end of the stick. Have not gotten a 'blue sceen' but the words 'your system is unstable etc. etc. blah blah - enough to make me hesitate on many things before acting.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Your CD is OK for running sfc, and yes, if sfc doesn't find any errors, it just quits without any message.

Put in Win XP Pro SP2 disc to correct this.

I assume, Windows is trying to run repair, and for that you may need CD with SP2 slipstreamed to it: http://www.helpwithw...sp2-bootcd.html

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The installation of SP-3 on long-running, loaded computers, can cause lots of troubles. I only install it on newly formatted computers and even then it's done first thing after formatting. That never failed me. This must be done with the antivirus disabled.

In your case the damage is already done and we look for a narrow escape. Reinstallation of SP-3 will not cause further damage.

Let's hope for the best. If the computer still give you troubles after that you will have to clear format it. I see no other solution.

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
This will be rather lengthy but here are events to date:

1 - working online; get message to insert OS disc
next messge is - not the correct disc!
another error messages claims the XP Pro disc I have is for another
PC but not the PC I have! I really am bummed out now!

2 - did all you suggested and logged off for night

3 - next log on - blue screen!
could not get into safe mode (maybe be lack of 'how to' on my part)

4 - blue screen continued so was forced to call in a tech

5 - long story short
tech works a bit, asks for OEM no. of my XP Pro disc
PC will not accept number; thus the reason for wrong disc info screen I
keep getting. The number I have is for XP Pro disc which I have . So we used the
old Media OEM no. and it worked like a charm.

6 - tech examines PC, restore points and comes up with I DO NOT HAVE XP PRO
on my PC but Media Edition! And do NOT have any restore points!

7 - I am astounded!!!!!!!

8 - this is what happened the tech thinks from previous experience he has
had with Dell
I buy the Dell
Dell puts on Media Edition
I simply do not like that OS and ask for XP Pro
They send out a tech who evidently (re my tech's experience)
brought a hard drive with Media Edition on it
Took out my hard drive, put in the new Media Edition hard drive telling
me it was XP Pro and copied all my files to the new drive

9 - I could believe this because this was a tech who asked, when here, if I had sound when I said yes, he said no you can't have you have no sound card in
your PC. He had to call Dell office to learn that the sound card was ON THE
MOTHERBOARD!

10 - My tech claims Dell does not like to put in new OSs just because Customer
wants same so "did not really do so" - just put in new drive with Media Center on it and of course did not tell me.

11 - So evidently if my tech is correct this is the reason all these months I have
been getting messages about putting in OS disc and then getting message -
wrong Disc!

I just checked My Computer; Properties and it still has Win XP Pro listed as the OS on this computer.

so now am confused again - is my tech in error about all of this?

Between not trusting ANY big PC company plus finding a PC tech here in the desert that is trustworthy AND knows his stuff - almost impossible. This tech I have found is exceptionally friendly; came out on a SUNDAY (unheard of around here)

So any erudite wisdom you have to offer about all of this will be very much appreciated. So far PC seems to be working quite well.

I plan to call Dell and politely challenge them about this situation and ask that they send me a Media Edition disc. I do WANT any program on my PC without a disc backup. As it was I had to fight tooth and toenail with Dell about the discs they were supposed to supply with a new PC in order to get them!

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Addendum: Every place I now look on my PC that gives system information states that this PC is operating on XP Pro Version 2002 SP2.

Only confuses the issue - at least for me it does.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Quite a problem that you have. If, at the bottom line, the computer works "quite" well, leave it at that. Meantime try to finish your business with Dell, getting an operating system (any XP version. better then nothing) so that you have something to work with in the future when the need arise.

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
So far all is working well. However, calling Dell now - they are charging for such information because PC is out of warranty. Not sure just who to call or what number in Dell to get around this. Am certainly NOT going to have a hefty fee and get those India techs who I am always in conflict with much less cannot understand them.

Right now I am too angry about this situation and contact with those techs will result in just my 'losing it' and benefit no one. After all I suppose they are working to make a living and do not need my ire on top of things:)

I will go online to see about a chat there - think that is free and see what they have to say.

Also in digging through the numerous discs that I finally badgered out of Dell when I bought the system (guess I did a good job of haranguing them because I am discovering duplicate discs) I have found TWO XP OEM discs one is XP Pro and the other is XP Home Edition.

Now I am wondering if that tech Dell sent really did put on XP as I requested but put on Home Edition instead of the Pro? I have an OEM number with it on a card so could test it out. I remember that tech was supposed to have had some disc with him to install the new drive and he had not brought it with him! Shades of incompetence! So I remember him again calling Dell office and they told him something because he came back in the house and proceeded on with installing the OS.

All this to ask - since I do have a disc with an OEM number (home edition) is it possible to install this OS and do away with the Media Center Edition? How difficult is it? If it is a long process and at all risky I will attempt to buy a disc for media center edition OS from dell but hope NOT going to pay some fantastic amount. So if at all possible to use the Home Edition disc and it accepts the OEM number could you direct me how to uninstall Media Center and install Home Edition.

If this gets too involved - will understand and see what other means I have to acquire some disc for this PC OS.

Thanks so much for following along this thread and endeavoring to help. Do appreciate it very much as I feel rather helpless and alone trying to get this all straightened out.