Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

format external drive in FAT32

• Please log in to reply

rabidturtle2501

rabidturtle2501

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I have a 320 GB Hard Drive that I need to be able to use on my machine at home using Windows Vista Home Premium, and a Mac at work. As I understand so far, the simplest way to do that would be to simply format the drive to FAT32. Vista apparently won't format any drive larger than 32GB in FAT32 using the regular method, but I've heard that it can be done using the command prompt.

Assuming this can be done, I'd like to know just how to do this. I'm more or less comfortable with using a command prompt, but I have had very little experience with that kind of thing, and that was over ten years ago.

So anyway, if anyone can explain how to do this, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Advertisements

rabidturtle2501

rabidturtle2501

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Also, if it's possible, it there is a way to do this as a Quick Format, that would be great too.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
From the command line:

format (Drive letter): /FS:FAT32

rabidturtle2501

rabidturtle2501

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts