Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

home network. how, what, etc...

• Please log in to reply

Caine

Caine

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
I have one pc with broadband access, and would like to connect another upstairs so they can at least share files. I'm not sure whether giving them both access to the internet will increase the basic broadband bill from my ISP, so until I'm up to date on this point I'm not fussed about broadband for both. Could I get a run down on what I need please?
I'm not a complete newbie on the pc, but relatively understandable would be nice (if you know what i mean). ;) Thanks! :tazz:

Advertisements

Hawker

Hawker

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
you need to run the network wizard, under control panel/network connections- give each computer a name of its own, and change the line that reads MSHOME to whatever you want your network name to be. and no, setting up a network isnt going to crank your bill up....its one conection to the house. restart after you have done this, and open up my network places in the start menu, and click workgroup computers. you should see the other computer.

Caine

Caine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Thanks for the reply Hawker, and I'll get to that step soon hopefully. Hmm, maybe the jargon could come down just a tad though please? ;) It seems the term "newbie" is relative. Maybe hand puppets? :tazz:

Firstly though I'd like to have some advice on what type of NIC set-up is needed, recommendations for routers... price, reliability, that kinda thing. Also I forgot to mention that it's a Win2k connected to the printer and has the DSL connection, while the WinXP needs to be added. Also, will I be required to pull the back off the pc to add more products (network cards, that sorta thing)?

lt b0ngo

lt b0ngo

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Right i'll try and help please post back if you need more help .Sorry if the follow feels like an insult to you intelligents but im just making sure you understand it

Since the other pc is up stairs im going to recommend a wireless setup. This would invole you taking the back off the pc to install a wireless pci card (£20 to £30) or a usb wireless dongle (not sure on price but I think there cheaper then pci cards plus you dont have to open pc up)

This router would give you wireless at a speed of 54mp (your internet is properly 512kb or 1mb) and has four ethernet ports and is easy to set up (I know i have it)
http://www.amazon.co...7047291-5758001

As Hawker said run the network wizard. Follow the guide it should explain itself.

Then you just have to configure the firewalls. Post when you are ready for that you would do it now but I don't want to over load you.

Caine

Caine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Thanks for the help lt b0ngo, and don't worry, I was the one that suggested the hand puppets. :tazz: One question before I get out the credit card. On the amazon link you posted, there's the following offer:

Order the Netgear DG834G 54Mbps Wireless ADSL Modem Firewall Router before June 26th 2005 and claim a free Netgear WG111 54Mbps Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter (excluding postage and packing).

I wondered if the wireless USB adapter is the same thing as either of these: "a wireless pci card (£20 to £30) or a usb wireless dongle"? One of which, as you mentioned, will be necessary.

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
I will be rather honest with you. I know everyone has their own opinions and preferences when it comes to equipment, settings, etc., but I have never found a Netgear that I liked. I'm not a fan of their routers, NICs, or firewalls. I would use a switch made by netgear, but then again, how hard is it to mess up one of those?

I would recommend a Linksys, but that is my own personal opinion.

Greazy Mcgeezy

Caine

Caine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
At the risk of this thread turning into a "my router's bigger than yours :tazz:" type thread I'd just like to throw a different brand again into the mix, and ask advice on whether this suggestion given to me is a)suitable for this purpose b)reliable and c)value for money?

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...5783036701&rd=1

lt b0ngo

lt b0ngo

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Right to answer the first question yes that offer on amazon would allow the upstairs pc to connect wirelessly aslong as it has a spare usb (you would want usb 2 if you want to transfer files at a good rate. And yes that router you found on ebay would work two. Just a though but what isp (aol,bt) are you on because not all isps support all routers. By the way i've always found netgear easy to configue and reliable. Apart from that its your choice on router if you do the amazon offer you would get a usb dongle just like you would off ebay so its just down to your isp, money (if a few pounds matter). apart from that theres no real difference.

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
I agree with you both, the D-link looks like a great deal. As far as the my router is better/bigger, that's not what I was going for. As far as personal experience in many situations, Netgear has never provided me with a sense of durability/reliability with their configurations. Sometimes an ease of use and configuration are what cause the problem in the first place.

All in all, I would go with that D-Link a couple posts up. If you look at track records, just go a couple pages into this forum, there are a couple names that pop up quite frequently having the exact same problems. D-Link isn't one of those names.

Greazy Mcgeezy

Caine

Caine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Ok guys, thanks for all the help.

Firstly lt bongo, the reason the D-link was recommended to me I've been told is that there was apparently a d-link adsl router used on this account before with no problems. It was only when software problems caused loss of internet connection that ISP support was signed up for (which has been regretted ever since). But they INSIST you must use their Netopia modem because it's the only one phone support are trained to deal with. ;) :tazz: And after all that, when someone who knew what they were doing took a look at it, they said the D-link wasn't the problem at all, and it shouldn't have been sold. Aw well! ;)

And lastly, sorry Greazy if the "bigger better modem thing" was misconstrued, it was just intended as a little joke. ;)

Pity that deal on ebay is so long to wait. I hardly imagine it'll be as sweet in 6 days time!. Well, thanks again for now lads. :tazz: but doubtless I'll be back soon enough when the parcel arrives in the post.

Btw, do you reckon the old modem will be any use, or will it only be good for the bin?

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Well, if it's actually blown, throw it away, prob won't do you any good up the road unless you are into your own circuitry. If you think it's still ok, keep it, never know when a friend may need one. :tazz:

Greazy Mcgeezy

Caine

Caine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
It's not blown at all, I'm just not sure if it's even possible to sell it, or whether it's configuration has been set by the ISP so it is useless elsewhere. I only found 1 more the same on ebay, and it's going for $10 with 0 bids so far. Probably not even worth the bother selling. You're probably right, I'll just wait for a mate that's looking to upgrade to DSL I suppose. :tazz:

(edit: since D-link seems to have a good reputation from the feedback I've got so far, I've one last question before I choose a wireless router, and that is: what's the difference between a USB adapter, eg: here and a PCMCIA CARD KIT, eg: here)

Edited by Caine, 21 June 2005 - 04:16 AM.

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
I don't mean to sound like a jacka**, but one is USB, the other is PCMCIA!! LOL

It looks like exactly the same thing to me except that one package connects to the computer using USB connection, and the other slides into a Laptop PCMCIA slot.

So it's really just a preference.

Greazy Mcgeezy

Caine

Caine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
I see! ;) I never owned or even used a laptop you see, so I was wondering why an alternetive to the USB was available. Now I get it. :tazz:

Right so, off to ebay I go, t' gets me a wireless modem and usb adapter. Just remember I did warn you already though that this won't be the last of the questions. ;) Wait till they arrive in the post... :tazz:

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
No problem, I shall be waiting...

Greazy Mcgeezy