Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

how to post a screenshot

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
for your consideration...would save me lots of time...

when you have the screen up that you want to capture...click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload...
then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would...

Edited by happyrock, 02 March 2012 - 06:12 PM.

Advertisements

Random Diva

Random Diva

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Awesome! Thank you so much for posting this, I have been trying to figure out a way to save screenshots for what seems like forever.
Thanks again,
You rock!
Lorri.

:)

ronknights

ronknights

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I guess that works, but it's a lot of work.

Why not just download and install Jing. It's free.

http://www.jingproject.com/

Octagonal

Octagonal

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts
To add to what happyrock suggested, if you only want to capture the active window (eg. message box etc.) then press the Alt key at the same time as the PrtScn key. :)

duckforeme

duckforeme

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am so lost. I am a old grandma who only plays games & know nothing else about computer. my problem is jave is working on pogo on aol but will not work on internet explorer :) :)

luckybreeze

luckybreeze

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I admit to not being the most savvy in computers either.... but since there hasn't been a response to Ducks request, Figured I'd start off, and Hopefully someone a little wiser will take over, Duck, have you gone into your java settings and tried tweaking around in there? I too play alot of pogo, and had some java issues, all that I had needed to do was update my java, and to set it up for internet explorer 8.... Also You may want to make sure your explorer is up to date... Sorry If you've done this already... and if not, Hope it gets you started Duck!

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts

I am so lost. I am a old grandma who only plays games & know nothing else about computer. my problem is jave is working on pogo on aol but will not work on internet explorer :) :rolleyes:

this topic here is about posting screen shots, so only questions about that should be posted here. For your problem you will need to start your own topic in Web Browsers & Email

thanks, and welcome to Geeks to Go :)

GenBullmoose

GenBullmoose

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
When I make screenshots in Vista, I use the "Snipping Tool" that comes with Vista. You can save the screenshot as a jpg (among others). I have a shortcut in my Quick Launch Toolbar for making my screen shots. You can also add some annotations on the screenshot with the Pen tool and Highlighter.

Just perform a search with the Start Button and search for "Snipping Tool" and you'll find it.

However, where is this "browse" I'm supposed to click on? [EDITED: it looks like attachments are only allowed for the original poster. I wanted to show a picture of the Snipping Tool with annotation examples, but I guess those replying can't do that]

And thank you for the tips!

Edited by GenBullmoose, 01 October 2009 - 09:07 AM.

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
I thought I'd share my guide:
A screenshot is basically a picture of what is on the screen.

Posted Image
The Print Screen button is usually located at the top right of the keyboard.

By pressing the Print Screen (Prt Scr) button you can save everything on the screen to your clipboard. Opening a photo/picture editing program such as Microsoft Paint, Paint Shop Pro or Photoshop you can paste the image edit it and save the file.

Posted Image
Pressing the Print Screen buttion takes a picture of the whole screen.

By Holding the Alt Key and pressing Prt Scr you can save an image of the active window. This is useful as saving the whole screen may be unnecessary and will make a larger file as more area is saved.

Posted Image
Holding Alt and pressing Prt Scr takes a picture of the active window only.

Save the file as a .jpg image. This provides good compression for a low file size and good image quality.
The picture will likely be too big. You should resize the image to make it smaller for uploads. Not too small, if there is text, make sure you can still read it. To do this I use Mircosoft Office Picture Manager (this comes with Mircosoft Office). You can crop, resize, rotate and adjust colors and it is very easy to use. Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro are also good. There are free alternatives avaliable such as GIMP and Photoscape.
You can then upload the file to a forum, server or image hosting site. Some good free image hosting sites are Photobucket and Imageshack.

A screenshot is basically a picture of what is on the screen.
[center][img]http://www.pc-offensive.com/home/images/stories/guides/software/screenshot/prtscr.jpg[/img]
[size="1"]The Print Screen button is usually located at the top right of the keyboard.[/size][/center]
By pressing the Print Screen (Prt Scr) button you can save everything on the screen to your clipboard. Opening a photo/picture editing program such as Microsoft Paint, Paint Shop Pro or Photoshop you can paste the image edit it and save the file.

[center][img]http://www.pc-offensive.com/home/images/stories/guides/software/screenshot/screenshot1.jpg[/img]
[size="1"]Pressing the Print Screen buttion takes a picture of the whole screen.[/size][/center]
By Holding the Alt Key and pressing Prt Scr you can save an image of the active window. This is useful as saving the whole screen may be unnecessary and will make a larger file as more area is saved.

[center][img]http://www.pc-offensive.com/home/images/stories/guides/software/screenshot/screenshot2.jpg[/img]
[size="1"]Holding Alt and pressing Prt Scr takes a picture of the active window only.[/size][/center]
Save the file as a .jpg image. This provides good compression for a low file size and good image quality.
The picture will likely be too big. You should resize the image to make it smaller for uploads. Not too small, if there is text, make sure you can still read it. To do this I use Mircosoft Office Picture Manager (this comes with Mircosoft Office). You can crop, resize, rotate and adjust colors and it is very easy to use. Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro are also good. There are free alternatives avaliable such as [url="http://www.gimp.org/"]GIMP[/url] and [url="http://www.photoscape.org/"]Photoscape[/url].
You can then upload the file to a forum, server or image hosting site. Some good free image hosting sites are Photobucket and Imageshack.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,525 posts
I use Gadwin Printscreen.
You can set the source (window, rectangular area, full window, etc), destination (where you want to save it), what key you want to press, what format you want to save it in, etc.
It is very easy to use.

123runner

CoolGadgetGuy

CoolGadgetGuy

Spammer

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
When I want to capture a screen shot of an active window, i simply hold down Alt while pressing PrtSrc(PrintScreen) then Paste it Paint.

Dog Of C0mbUsti0n

Dog Of C0mbUsti0n

spammer

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
personally, i find it easier to use uploadscreenshot.com

you don't have to go through all the hassle of pasting to paint, browsing, uploading etc...
basically, you just printscreen (or alt-printscreen for just a single window btw), and paste it on the front page.

protiti

protiti

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I thing there is not need to press the ALT button with the print screen. Am I right. By the way please help me on taking whole webpage screenshot at a time. This would be much helpful for me right now.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
protiti

This topic is a HOW TO GUIDE for posting a screenshot on a topic

If you require help please create your own topic in the appropriate forum

However the method of saving a screenshot of a webpage is the same, as explained here.