Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

iTunes problem on startup, error on startup of itunes program

itunes problem startup error

• Please log in to reply

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Hi, recently my computer was reformatted, so i had to reinstall itunes (i have WinXP), before the reformet, i had sp1, now i have sp2, maybe that's the difference, because now when i try to start itunes, it tells me:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
iTunes has encountered a problem and needs to close.
We are sorry for the inconvenience.
If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on might be lost.
Please tell Microsoft about this problem.
We have created an error report that you can send to us. We will treat this
report as confidential and anonymous.

To see what data this error report contains, click here.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
And then i have "Send Error Report" and "Don't send" options, i realize this is a common error message that appears when a program doesn't work or for example when you shut down a program illegaly, but does anyone have a clue as to why itunes isn't working when it worked a week ago?

did you download the latest version of itunes?

yep

Hello , You could try to Re-install windows , Uninstall the Itunes prog, Run the AV program and then the Antispyware prog... once you are sure you are all clean:

Restart the Computer, click on Start/ Run and type: "sfc /scannow" without quotes...(NOTE: You need to insert your XP CD Installation in the CD drive before typing that command)...
When finishes restart the Computer and then try Re-installing The iTunes software... Hope this help

If you pc didnt come with an XP CD then dont use

NvidiaDude

He doesnt mean reinstall as in reformat and install, which is what reinstall means in case you are confused about that, what you want to do is just follow the steps to clean the computer of possible malware then run the sfc /scannow utility.

I assume you tried an install and reinstall, i might try downloading itunes again its possible there may have been some corruption in the download.

Warriorscot are you talking to me or Yafim

both , your last post was a little ambigous i didnt want anyone reformatting the PC because you said reinstall. ( i know what you are thinking but yes people are that daft).

Let's not use words like "daft" when talking about our users. That is offensive to some. Instead, we should say things like "some people are more computer literate than others". :)

FYI: nvideadude earned himself a ban this morning, so you won't need to worry about his advice any longer.

I found this solution on another post but wanted to let everyone know the solution that worked for me as it was very frustrating to spend most of my Christmas day troubleshooting itunes.
Basically I had to go to Apple and download the quicktime player and install it on it's own. Here is a link to the quicktime player: http://www.apple.com...standalone.html
I saved the exe to my desktop then ran the install. I did not have to restart my computer and the itunes player immediately started working again.

I was receiving the "iTunes has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." Error message. I have the XP operating system.

Hope this helps others to spend their Christmas day enjoying it more that troubleshooting software.

you deserve a hug or somethin... christmas day troubleshooting ranks very low on my list or priorities. i wish you had posted this yesterday, so i wouldn't have had to spend all of christmas eve trying to figure it out.

that did it for me..
thanks a lot!

Hi,
i am having this exact problem
so i did what you said and downloaded just quicktime
tried openeing itunes
still won't work
and when i run the installation process for quicktime, it says 'do you want to completely remove quicktime for windows' click yes or cancel.
if i click yes, then the same error as before comes up (0x80040707)
please help =(

To the person who figured out to download stand alone quicktime and fix itunes you are my new super hero. after a long nights ordeal of getting a virus then having to fix that then wanting to just chill to some tunes to find itunes completely FUBAR i was ready to throw the whole computer out the window. you however have saved my sanity and my computers life so i thank you and you have now surpassed superman on the all time super hero list!!!

Thankyou!, thankyou! thankyou! thankyou a million time times to the guy who stayed up all christmas day trying to fix this problem and finally found he could solve it by downloading Quicktime alone from the apple site at this link: http://www.apple.com...wnload/win.html Make sure to download the version WITHOUT iTunes.

Also make sure you have installed iTunes WITH THE ERROR MESSAGE before you download QuickTime 7.1.

Once you have downloaded QuickTime, start iTunes - I got a brief message saying iTunes was not installed properly and I would need to re-install it if I wanted to download music from the internet, Bollocks to that! Don't re-install! Downloading from the net works just fine.

A little bit of supplementary information which may give the experts something to think about. I am running two versions of Windows XP - the French version and the English version on the same hard drive and in the SAME partition. At boot up windows multi-boot kicks in and offers me the choice f which windows version I want to load. I have no conflicts. Norton runs fine. Anyway, after much hassle trying to get iTunes to work (many many installs and un-installs), I found it would install and run fine in the French version of Windows but not in the English version. Don't worry I uninstalled in the French version before installing in the Enbglish version - which gave the error message. Conclusion, there is nothing wrong with the installation download, only something mis-configured in the English version of XP.

I Heard recently i tunes had some problems with their compatibility with Norton and things like that, if installing an older version of quicktime dosn't work make sure to check ure firewall is disabled ^^

Thanks so much! this is so helpful.
I was starting to get very frustrated too. :P

Edited by admin, 04 March 2015 - 02:08 AM.
Archive of deleted topic

Advertisements

Fusionbomb

Fusionbomb

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Hello admin,

I'm not sure if this is a post seeking help or just for archived documentation (or both).  If this is a problem you're having and the Quicktime download idea didn't work, then I would suggest maybe trying to run iTunes in a compatibility mode.  It probably won't work, but nobody else has mentioned that yet.

Right click iTunes > Properties > Compatibility tab > checkbox + dropdown option

Good luck!

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

Thanks Fusionbomb. This is a topic that is heavily linked to, but somehow got deleted. For that reason, I decided to repost it for those it may help. Rather than go through and edit the database, I chose this route. But thanks for the suggestion! :D

4SaleUSA

4SaleUSA

• Pip
  • 2 posts

When you reinstalled windows, your PC lost its authorisation, so you will not be able to play drm protected tracks until you reauthorise which needs a store connection.

The first step with this is to post the results of your iTunes network connectivity tests - Help>>Run Diagnostics>>Network connectivity tests.