Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

i cant create a new folder why?

• Please log in to reply

camjamlar

camjamlar

• Pip
  • 5 posts
hi i am new to this forum :thumbsup:
but i hope someone here can help
here goes
i have noticed it for a while but its driving me insane now :tazz:
when i rightclick on my desktop there is no option to create new folder and when i go to my documents and click on file there is no option but when i have my documents file and folder tasks open the option is there at the top when i click on the make a new folder i hear a error sound no message appears and no folder appears so i am getting frustrated as i need new folder space
does anyone know exactly where the option as gone and how i can get it back as i have searched high and low with no results thank you ;)
shelly

Advertisements

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go.

Please read this post: http://www.geekstogo...?showtopic=2852

And post your log here:
http://www.geekstogo...hp?showforum=37

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

camjamlar

camjamlar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
:tazz: sorry for the double posts i clicked by accident and it landed in windows 98 forum
so i will apoligize again ;)
just so you know im not someone messing around ive just found this site

shelly

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
It's not a problem, no one's mad ;) I just have to close duplicate posts because it gets confusing to staff when 2 people are fixing the same prob in 2 different posts ya know? Also we'll get all kinds of others posting in there too, and it just turns into a big mess. No worries :tazz: Just get the hijack log posted and we'll fix ya up :cheers:

-=jonnyrotten=- :thumbsup:

Tim Wellman

Tim Wellman

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
You're probably not logged into your computer with full rights to make folders, that's why you can only do things in your own personal 'my documents' folder. It can happen if you decide to change your login name, but don't set it up with full privileges. So, try to remember the login and password you first used when you installed Windows... log out on the Start button window, then log back in as that original username... see if that gives you full privileges. If it does, and you're using XP, click on Start (when you're logged in under the original admin privileges name), then Settings and Control Panel... double click on User Accounts, and you should see your other username there... double click it and you can give yourself more privileges

At least that sounds like what the problem is to me :-)

camjamlar

camjamlar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
thank you so much ;)

i will give this a try i just want to say though i have the main user account so i am the administrator but i have 2 other additional accounts so maybe something as been changed i will have a see like i mentioned in my other post i am running out of room for my files as i save to copy spare ones
i have also noticed the same problem with not being able to make a new folder when on the interent when i click on file/ save as then i small icon comes up new to the uponelevel and go to last folder i cant create one there to
but it baffles me as to why i do not see any error message but i hear a sound like the type of sound tyou hear when youve clicked on your mouse or keypad when you click the wrong key (do i make any sence?) sorry if i dont had a very long week (already lol)

ill let you know how it goes
:tazz:

shelly