Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

McAfee Uninstall

• Please log in to reply

SRO793

SRO793

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My daughter's McAfee subscription expired, so I suggested that she unintall McAfee and do the free download for AVG. She went to Control Panel, then add/remove programs. She started to uninstall McAfee and received a message that access was denied. I am in central Missouri and she is in central Oklahoma so I am giving her instructions by telephone. I went to my local computer guru and learned that it was possible that she didn't register as the administrator when she set up her computer. We checked, she is the administrator.
I went to my school district's I.T. department and they did a Google Search for Complete+Uninstall+McAfee. They suggested we try www.McAfee uninstall. I called my daughter, gave her the site, instructed her to printout the instructions and follow all of the steps. She still has McAfee!
I did a search in Geekstogo and found this topic was being discussed and it was suggested that we follow the following steps: Start>my computer>local disk (C:)>program files>open McAfee and look for an unintall. She found two folders in McAfee. They are Agent, which has two subfolders: detect.exe and mctskshd.exe. The second folder is MPS and it contains mcbrhlpr.dll.
What do we do now?
SRO793

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi SRO793...

McAfee (and Norton) are almost worse to get rid of than the malware it's supposed to protect you from... :whistling:

Ususally, when an uninstallation fails, it's caused by some portion of the application being in use at the time of the uninstall operation. Click Start, then Run, type msconfig and click "Ok". Under the "Startup" tab, look for any entries related to McAfee...particularly the files you listed in your original post. If you find anything, remove the tick from the box next to it and "Apply" the changes. Reboot.

Upon restarting, you will receive a Selective Startup dialog...this is normal. Tick the box to not show it again and click "Ok".

Now look in Add or Remove Programs...is McAfee still listed there? If it is, select it (Virus Scan first if present) and choose "Remove". Reboot.

If you still have problems, we may have to manually remove it from the registry. Let us know what you find.

wannabe1

RichP

RichP

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
I did this one recently, and this worked for me.

Try the above first. If it doesn't work:

Navigate c:\program files\mcafee.com\agent\app and delete all files in this folder.

Go to "Add and Remove Programs" in the Windows Control Panel, highlight McAfee Security Center and click on remove.