Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading, need advice!

• Please log in to reply

DOH!

DOH!

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Guess its a stupid post, but I am clueless when it comes to this stuff, so I rely on the amazing people of G2G for some help. I ran pcwizard and this is what it dished out at me, I knew I had the majority of this, but not specifics, so maybe this will help some of you point me in the right direction.

> Mainboard : ASUSTeK Computer Inc. K8V
> Chipset : VIA K8T800 (VT8383)
> Processor : AMD Athlon 64 3200+ @ 2000 MHz
> Physical Memory : 512 MB (1 x 512 DDR-SDRAM )
> Video Card : Nvidia Corp GeForce FX 5600 [NV31.2]
> Hard Disk : SAMSUNG (80 GB)
> CD-Rom Drive : SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-252B
> DVD-Rom Drive : SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-816B
> Monitor Type : 17 inchs
> Network Card : 3COM Corp, Networking Division 3C940 Gigabit Ethernet PCI CODEC
> Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Professionnal 5.01.2600 Service Pack 2
> DirectX : Version 9.0c (March 2006)

No reason for really upgrading, just feel its a little past do, this setup right here handles more than enough of what I do on a computer. Game, winamp, and have fun. Was really in the market for more memory just to have it. Then I was like well, why not a video card, and maybe another hard-drive? None of it is necessary keep in mind, just I want to get new stuff for piece of mind :blink: . I dont need the brand new not released yet stuff, cause that would just be me throwing money down a toliet for no good reason. So how about you guys shoot out some recomendations on what you see on that list that I should upgrade?

Thanks in advance guys!

Also looking for a GOOD soundcard, cause I love my music and winamp is never turned off around here. :whistling:

EDIT: Wifey wants a pretty case, preferrably with the side window, and has mucho lights (the blacklight and/or blue lights) I found an example of something she liked -- > http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811144151

Edited by DOH!, 15 April 2006 - 12:31 PM.

Advertisements

FuM

FuM

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
No post is stupid. we try to help everyone as much as possible.
Also what are you ganna be using your computer for and how much is your budget

DOH!

DOH!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Just a gaming rig, nothing like oblivion, I mainly just do like CS, CoD, BF1942, and it seems to handle all of them just fine. I am a big music freak, so a better sound card would probably benefit me alot. This Sound Blaster Live! has given me some trouble.

I would like to get more of this Physical Memory : 512 MB (1 x 512 DDR-SDRAM ) for more games, and a card that will handle all of them. And probably another hard drive.

DOH!

DOH!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Bump for all the help going on outside my thread.

DOH!

DOH!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Going out to eat bump, praying for some replys.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Exactly what are you wanting to do that you currently cant or have trouble on???

Do you want to be able to play the newer 3d graphic games without it being choppy or what??

Memory is a good start and a new video card will help tremendously in games.. especially the newer 3d games that requires a faster video card.

Id say another 512mb stick of ram will help out abit. Its a big difference from 512mb to a gig of ram.

Whatever you do to the system like the memory or video card you will see a better performance increase in games. You will be able to raise the video settings up higher in games and it will look better if you get a faster good video card. On a video card you get what you pay for ofcourse. No since upgrading it unless your willing to spend $150-$200 max id say for you. You dont need a video card over $150-$200 for your uses that I read above.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
We dont like people bumping threads its the fastest way not to get your thread replied to at all.

DOH!

DOH!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

We dont like people bumping threads its the fastest way not to get your thread replied to at all.

I dont understand how that makes sence, but understood. Wont bump it anymore, thanks for chiming in on some upgrades man! --> New keyboard without the bump key, first on the list for you my man :blink: .

I didnt plan on spending over 250 for a new video card, but some recommendations for some would be good. I am pleased with nVidia, so I will probably stick with them, unless there are cheaper better brands? I was going to get another stick of ram, and then I thought why not get another hard drive?

Everything else meets the requirements, but a new case would be awesome, this plain [bleep] alienware case = no fun. Thanks for the 'helpful' replys that my bumps get. :whistling:

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

I dont understand how that makes sence, but understood. Wont bump it anymore, thanks for chiming in on some upgrades man! --> New keyboard without the bump key, first on the list for you my man :blink: .

I didnt plan on spending over 250 for a new video card, but some recommendations for some would be good. I am pleased with nVidia, so I will probably stick with them, unless there are cheaper better brands? I was going to get another stick of ram, and then I thought why not get another hard drive?

Everything else meets the requirements, but a new case would be awesome, this plain [bleep] alienware case = no fun. Thanks for the 'helpful' replys that my bumps get. :whistling:

Your motherboard supports agp video cards. We need to know how big your powersupply is. Faster video cards take 350watt powersupplies atleast. Sometimes 300watt powersupplies are not enough, especially for the newer cards.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
A 6800gs would be your best bet for an agp videocard they range from $179-$200 but they are all out of stock at newegg.com right now..

Advertisements

DOH!

DOH!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

A 6800gs would be your best bet for an agp videocard they range from $179-$200 but they are all out of stock at newegg.com right now..

Could you get me a link to that product? Also, what are your recommendations on sound cards, hard-drives, and ram?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Could you get me a link to that product? Also, what are your recommendations on sound cards, hard-drives, and ram?

sound cards, creative make good sound cards some for general purpose and some for gaming some for music.
All of the quality creative cards do it all. Dont get a cheap sound card.. Depends how much you want to spend on the sound cards but the x-fi is the newest series that is the best, audigy 2 is next best for creative cards.

Western digital and maxtor make good harddrives and I havnt had a problem with either of them. Find out if your motherboard supports sata (serial ata) harddrives. If not then you only have regular Ide controllers for ide harddrives.

Corsair makes excellent ram for pc's. Crucial is pretty good, kingston is okay, mushkin is okay. Many others.. but thats the top bunch that I like. Corsair is the #1 leader in memory, they sell more than anyone..

DOH!

DOH!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
I know of certain brands that I read around this site alot, ex corsair, kingston, ect.

But I dont know what would work with my computer. This is what I was looking at for RAM, but I dont know what all of it means lol...Also the unbuffered, and the timing means what?

CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory - Retail

Also I dont know if my mobo is SATA compatible so I dont know what kind of hard drive to get, but this is what I was looking at if it was...

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200KS 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - again I dont know what all those numbers are haha..

And heres a sound card I was looking at. would hate to repeat myself for a third time :whistling: . hehe

Creative SOUND BLASTER X-Fi Platinum 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound Card.

Let me know if these are fine, or if another one is recommended. I am pretty set on the sound card, cause nothing means more to me then the music, but for the other two let me know. Also I am still looking around for a case to cram all this new stuff in. Is there anything in perticular I should be looking for?

Edited by DOH!, 15 April 2006 - 10:04 PM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

I know of certain brands that I read around this site alot, ex corsair, kingston, ect.

But I dont know what would work with my computer. This is what I was looking at for RAM, but I dont know what all of it means lol...Also the unbuffered, and the timing means what?

CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory - Retail

Also I dont know if my mobo is SATA compatible so I dont know what kind of hard drive to get, but this is what I was looking at if it was...

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200KS 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - again I dont know what all those numbers are haha..

And heres a sound card I was looking at. would hate to repeat myself for a third time :whistling: . hehe

Creative SOUND BLASTER X-Fi Platinum 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound Card.

Let me know if these are fine, or if another one is recommended. I am pretty set on the sound card, cause nothing means more to me then the music, but for the other two let me know. Also I am still looking around for a case to cram all this new stuff in. Is there anything in perticular I should be looking for?

I found out that your motherboard has sata 150. There is like 3 different boards that has the same chipset so it was hard to find it.

The sata 3.0gb/s harddrives wont work with your motherboard. You have to get a serial ata 150 harddrive.

Look for a sata 150 harddrive with 16mb cache.

*edit* here is a link to sata 150's with 16mb cache...

http://www.newegg.co...&SubCategory=14

Edited by jrm20, 15 April 2006 - 11:58 PM.

DOH!

DOH!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Awesome, so will this hard drive work with my samsung hard drive?

But the RAM, and the sound card are good to go? Would you explain to me what all those numbers and text in bold are/mean? And the timing and buffering of the RAM sticks mean/do, and what I should be looking for, cause my only stick now is 2.5/3/3/7 according to PCwizard.

When I am looking for a case, how many internal/external drive bays should I be looking for?

One more thing, is my mobo sufficient for all of this stuff, or should a mobo upgrade should be performed as well?

Edited by DOH!, 16 April 2006 - 01:41 AM.