Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win 98SE windows media player error 80040256

• Please log in to reply

BKB

BKB

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Basically, the problem is that my windows media player won't play a .wav audio stream.
The first error I got stated that the msdxm.ocx file was missing, and the windows media player didn't work at all.

(The file was probably deleted as the result of a spyware infection a year or so ago.
I didn't need windows media player for anything so I didn't much care at the time.)

I replaced the missing msdxm.ocx file back into its proper location (c:\windows\system) and the windows media player is now partially fixed.
However, it will still not play a .wav file needed for a video game.
The windows media player gives an error code 80040256 which says:
"cannot play back audio stream-no hardware or hardware not responding."

I tried looking up this error on the internet but didn't find a great deal about it.
Other sounds seem to work, such as the basic Windows startup and exit sounds.
The CD player also works fine.
I don't think there's anything wrong with the hardware.
The windows media player will play .rmi files but not .wav files.
I downloaded windows media player 9 for Win 98 and thought about installing it over the older version(6.4.07.1124) currently on the computer, but decided to wait until I had more information about the problem.
(I also have the older windows media player version application.)

The video game and windows media player work fine on another computer that is also using Windows 98 SE.
The problem rests somewhere in this computer but I don't know what the next best step is.
I'm a novice so I don't have a great deal of experience in this area.

Advertisements

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
Windows Media Player Cannot Play Back the Audio Stream

Get On Speaking Terms With Your PC Audio System

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
These sites may be helpful too:
Codec Installation Package

Windows Media Video 9 Series Codecs

Windows Media Audio Codecs

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 26 March 2007 - 01:41 PM.

BKB

BKB

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I had looked at the Microsoft site before posting here and found the following:

CAUSE
This issue may occur if either of the following conditions is true:
• Your computer does not have a sound card, or your sound card is not working correctly.
• Another program is currently using your sound card, so it is not available for Windows Media Player to use.
Note This cause is specific to Microsoft Windows NT-based or Microsoft Windows 95-based computers.
• The hardware acceleration is set to too high.

I can manually play the .wav files if I use Start-Programs-Access-Entertainment-Sound Recorder to test the .wav files. The sound card seems to be working.
I shut down all other windows before trying to play a .wav file, but that didn't help.
The hardware acceleration is set at full but cannot be changed.
It won't set to a lower level even after pressing the apply and ok keys.
It just resets itself back to the way it was.
The other computer also is set at full and works fine on .wav files.
The Media Windows Player plays them with no problem.

As I said earlier, I had to copy the msdxm.ocx file from the other computer over to this one because it was missing. (Both have version 6.4.07.1124 on them) Perhaps there's something else missing that I'm not aware of.
I don't use Windows Media Player for anything, but that seems to be the default for playing .wav.files, at least with this video game and on this computer.
The other computer has a default play that uses ATI Multimedia File Player, not Windows Media Player.
If I could play those game sound files with another player that would interface with the video game, I could bypass the Windows Media Player problem, but I don't know if that can be done.
I have version 6.4.07.1124, which I believe came with Windows 98 SE, but I couldn't locate it on the Windows 98 SE cd. If I could reinstall it, maybe that would fix the problem.
I was able to find and download Windows Media Player 6.4 but it doesn't say which exact version it is. I could do an install of 6.4 and see what happens but I don't want to cause more problems. I'd rather not try to install version 9 unless I know it will work.
Any further suggestions?

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
I installed WMP 9 on my 98SE drive and had no problems with it.