Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Software Update Incomplete

• Please log in to reply

SunFaerie

SunFaerie

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
We bought this computer in year 2000. No one had been getting Windows Updates on it. When I checked there were updates available as far back as 2000. I got the first batch of updates and encountered no problems. When I tried to update the next time I received this error:

The Windows Update software did not update successfully. Below are some suggestions to help you proceed:
You may have clicked No when prompted to accept the Trust Certificate. To allow the Windows Update site software to install, click Yes when presented with the Security Warning dialog box.
Your Internet Explorer security settings may be set too high. To install the updated software and access Windows Update, Internet Explorer security must be set to medium or lower, and active scripting and the download and initialization of ActiveX controls must be enabled.

Note These are the default settings for Internet Explorer. For more information about Internet Explorer security and instructions on how to change your security settings, read Microsoft Knowledge Base (KB) Article Q174360.

Were these suggestions helpful? Send us your feedback.

I DID NOT click no to accept the Trust Certificate.
I changed the security settings to low.
I enabled ActiveX controls.
I followed the instructions in KB Article Q174360.

None of these suggestions worked.

I use AVG Antivirus protection and do a daily scan using Housecall Antivirus Free Online Scan. I also use AdAware 6.0.

Also, for your information, this computer is missing a System.INI file (we've been operating for 4 years without it).

I found this site about a week ago and have been browsing the topics but haven't seen anything that exactly pertains to this problem. BTW, the site is amazing....I've become addicted to reading the problems and what the techs have come up with as solutions. I can actually understand a lot of it - Well Done GeeksToGo! :tazz:

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. This is a last ditch effort to solve the problem myself before calling in a professional (which may very well be the best idea). The computer is used mainly to run ICAD Surveying Software so we're anxious to get to the bottom of this problem.

Please treat me as a newbie who knows next to nothing about computers.

Thank You, SunFaerie ;)

Advertisements

StarHawk

StarHawk

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
Welcome SunFaerie to Geeks to Go and thanks for using our free tech support. :)

I read your log having once faced a similar problem. :) I am assuming you are using windows 98, that's not clear from your post. Which version of Win 98 is it First edition or second edition? ;)
If You are unsure, download Belarc Advisor , install it and run it. it will open a window in your web browser and under Operating system it will say something like Windows 98 SE (build 4.10.2222). SE means second edition.

Do you have the Windows Installation CD?

Many things could cause your problem. If you have been keeping AVG up to date it prob isn't viral, but it could even be spyware related. I want to try to eliminate that possibility first. I noticed you mentioned using Adaware 6, this is not the current version of Adaware. So first I need you to
  • Download the current version of adaware Here
  • Install adaware SE and run the application
  • Be sure to click Check For Updates before scanning
  • scan your computer and fix any problems.
I also advise you to download Spybot Search & Destroy, install it, update it and run it. Also fix all problems.

If the problem persist we at least know it is not caused by an easy to fix spyware infection. Has the computer been connected to the Internet alot ?

Which version of Internet Explorer are you using? If you are unsure Open Internet Explorer, click on Help in the Menu and click About Internet Explorer. Mine says version 6.0.2800.1106IC meaning I have version 6.
Whether it is version 6 or not, download and install Internet Explorer SP1; if that link fails try Clicking Here.

Now see if you can do Windows Updates. if Internet Explorer was "broken" that should've fixed it. If not you may not have the current version of Microsoft Windows Installer, you can download it Here Microsofts web site should've told you that when you first tried to update. If you ran the Belarc Advisor program above under Software Versions it will say Microsoft Corporation - Windows Installer Version 2.0.2600.2 * if you have the current version.

If you have Windows 98 SE you may wish to consider the UNOFFICIAL Windows 98SE Service Pack. This contains all Windows98 SE updates from Windows Update site and more. It is a self-extracting and self-installing pack like Microsoft's update files. It's very Cool :tazz:

Another option is to use an "Update Manager" like Big Fix, the Home edition can be downloaded by Clicking Here. If it is a company computer you may not be allowed legally to use the home edition.But anyway this software updates windows and more. I use it. It'll work even if IE is still "Broke".
Altho I've never used it on a machine badly out of date, I would like to know how it performs in that situation. This should at least get you started. Let us know if this fixes Internet Explorer, and if not I have a few more ideas. ;)

Don't worry one of us here will fix your problem.

Edited by StarHawk, 17 May 2005 - 10:20 AM.

SunFaerie

SunFaerie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
StarHawk:

Thanks for the welcome :tazz:

I'm still carrying out your instructions. I will email next week with the results of each step. I didn't want you to think I had ignored your reply....I have limited time on that computer because it's shared, so I do a little bit each day.

Thanks n Take Care,
SunFaerie

StarHawk

StarHawk

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
No problem SunFaerie.

I too have limited time but I always keep an eye on all of my open post here at Geeks to Go. ;) At least twice daily, so I'll be watching. :tazz:

Edited by StarHawk, 22 May 2005 - 06:08 PM.

SunFaerie

SunFaerie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hey StarHawk:

I completed your instructions. The following are the results of each suggestion:

I downloaded and ran Belarc Advisor. I have Windows 98 SE (build 4.10.2222). I don't have the windows installation cd. When we bought this computer we weren't educated enough to know to ask for the installation cds that should have accompanied it.

AVG is updated and run daily. It hasn't discovered anything suspicious on any of the scans.

I uninstalled the version of Adaware I had and installed the latest version, checked for updates and ran it. I quarantined and then removed 12 items.

I then installed Spybot Search and Destroy. Updated it, made a copy of the registry (I thought that was a very good suggestion) and ran it. It found 6 spyware items. It had 5 checked and one left unchecked so I followed its wishes and removed only the 5 it suggested.

I tried Windows Update and got the same error as in my original post.

I have IE Version: 6.0.2800.1106 with SP1. It was after I installed SP1 that I was unable to update further.

Microsoft Corporation - Windows Installer Version 2.0.2600.1 *. Hmmm, apparently that isn't the current version. *I just tried installing the newest Windows Installer (followed your link) and had the following message pop up: Wrong OS or OS version for application. The download says for Windows NT/2000 but I gave it a try anyway ;)*

None of the above have worked. I'll try your other suggestions next week - UNOFFICIAL Windows 98SE Service Pack and "Big Fix". It's a bugger not being able to work on this whenever I want. :tazz: I will, of course, let you know what happens....lots of details eh :)

I find this is when I learn the most, I hate to say I love when things go wrong but I really do ;) I don't think I should be having this much fun....

Thanks again StarHawk - and have a fabulous weekend! *Ciao*

SunFaerie

SunFaerie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
"Big Fix" had me install a MDAC update. I tried Windows Update once again but it's still doing the same thing.

"BigFix" is amazing - it's very user friendly and I hope (when I use it in the future) idiot proof :tazz: I haven't installed Windows 98 SE Service Pack yet but it's next on my agenda. As usual, I will keep you apprised.....

Many thanks and take care - SunFaerie ;)

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Hello, I think I may be able to help. I've reinstalled win98 and me on some older machines and have seen that screen too. The problem is that the older Internet Explorer can't handle the script on the MS update site. So if you're updating an older machine or making a clean reinstall the first thing you nned to do is get the latest version of IE, ie6 with sp1. I keep the Install.exe on a floppy so I don't even have to access the MS pages to download it.

You can fid the link here.

http://www.microsoft...?displaylang=en

After you install it you shouldn't have any problem with the update site. :tazz:

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Psssst.. howdy Tyger..

Take another look at their thread..

Quote "I have IE Version: 6.0.2800.1106 with SP1. It was after I installed SP1 that I was unable to update further."

As you can see, they are already running the latest version !! :tazz:

Murray

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Here's a zipped copy of the system.ini file from my generic computer with win98se. It needs to be unzipped to the Windows folder and renamed to .ini to work. It looks like pretty standard stuff. At the worst you might have to go into msdos mode and delete it if it doesn't work. You may also need to change few drivers.

Attached Files

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
SunFaerie:

Tyger is trying to help but his last post is NOT the way to go..

Your System.ini file will be unique to your system..

Continue using the advice provided by StarHawk.. If he is in a quandry, we have some excellent forum Mods that will step in if we ask!!

Murray

SunFaerie

SunFaerie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Tyger - thank you so much for trying to help :tazz: Everyone here is so nice and so eager to be of service and I appreciate it very much - SunFaerie

Murray - Your site is incredible! I'm continuing to follow StarHawk's instructions. When all his suggestions have been exhausted I'll definitely post here again to let him know. My time on this computer is very limited so it's taking what seems like forever to finish. *Sighs* I just hope StarHawk doesn't think I've forgotten but I don't want to clog up the forums with unnecessary posts. Thanks for being an EXCELLENT Monitor Murray!

Have a wonderful day all - SunFaerie ;)

heyseus

heyseus

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hi SunFaerie,

I too had that particular problem and just got it fixed a few mins ago. What you will need to do is re-register the following files using the regsvr32 command (ie. regsvr32 filename.fil) in the command prompt : softpub.dll, wintrust.dll, initpki.dll, ssenh.dll, saenh.dll, gpkcsp.dll, sccbase.dll, slbcsp.dll, mssip32.dll, cryptdlg.dll
Note that a few of those files won't be found in windows 98 but for windows xp. Try those and let me know.