Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Colour display problems

• Please log in to reply

kash-lee

kash-lee

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hey guys :tazz:

im a little stuck with my comp.
i had to restore my windows 98 software but now i only have 2 colours and 16 colours in my display mode.
how do i get my 256 and high colours back??

cheers

Advertisements

RavenHeart

RavenHeart

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
have you installed correct drivers for your monitor and displaycard???
If not installing the drivers, should fix the problem. :tazz:

kash-lee

kash-lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
see thats my major problem, i have no idea about computers and dont know where the drivers would be. are they on the win 98 cd?

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
What is your graphics card?

Usually these problems can be fixed by re-installing your graphics driver. When you purchase your Graphics Card it comes with a CD installer, that is where your graphics drivers found. Just follow the setup procedures in it and should fix it.

Hope this idea could help ya! :tazz:

kash-lee

kash-lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
i have no idea what graphics card i have. the computer was given to me and i reformatted it and restored the software using some instructions i was given. the only cd's i have are the windows 98 cd, a 56k modem riser card cd, something called cd quadrat and my windows startup floppy. is there a website where i can get a direct download of a driver that i need?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you can download everest home edition and it may tell you the videocard, or is this PC a name brand with a model number?

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
If its WIN 98, you can view your existing Graphics Card in:

Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Information

Under System Information,expand the "+ Components" then click Display. Wait for a while as your PC gathers informations about your hardware.

Your graphics card is the one highlighted in BOLD letters.

Once known, you can have the drivers downloaded at their respective websites. :tazz:

kash-lee

kash-lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
hey guys again lol. i did what you sed and got this as my graphics card:

Standard PCI Graphics Adapter (VGA)

and my monitor is:

Samsung SAMTRON 55(M)E (Plus)

yes i know its really old but oh well lol.
soz i seem really thick but where would i get the drivers from? :tazz:

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
Just run a few search on google for drivers, but I think that is the standard VGA card. Graphics Cards have their own limitations and capabilities as well as your monitor.

If you have the software updates but your hardware does not have the capabilities then it won't give much result though.

The monitor does not need anymore driver updates relating to colors.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
kools suggestion will only reveal the driver---it is not the videocard/chip. What you are seeing is the windows standard driver for a card it does not know about

please download everest home or give us a model number for your pc

http://www.lavalys.c...ang=en&pageid=1

StarHawk

StarHawk

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
Hi kash-lee.

Wondering if you know how to change the Display settings on your desktop?
  • Right click an empty spot on your desktop and choose Properties in the pop up menu.
  • In the Display Properties window which should pop up click on Settings.
  • On the Settings Tab under Colors click on the downward arrow.
  • See if you can choose 256 Colors and then click Apply.
  • If it ask you to reboot, go ahead and do so.
Did This work?

If not let's try reinstalling the device drivers.

have you installed correct drivers for your monitor and displaycard???
If not installing the drivers, should fix the problem. smile.gif

Since you have no CD from your Video Card manufactor , we will install the best device drivers Windows supplies. Follow the below steps.
  • Right click the My Computer Icon Choose Properties.
  • On the System Properties Window Click the Device Manager Tab
  • On the Device manager tab be sure the View devices by type is checked.
  • Click the Plus mark in front of the tree entry DISPLAY
  • Underneath DISPLAY should appear the name of your video card, click this entry so that it is high lighted.
  • Now click the Properties button.
  • A video card properties window should pop up, click on the Driver Tab.
  • Now click the Update Driver Button on that page.
  • This should open the Update Device Driver Wizard
  • Click Next. Be sure the Search for a better driver... is checked. click Next.
  • Now choose CD-ROM and put your Windows Installation CD in your CD drive.
  • click Next. If it can find a better driver, follow the directions and install. If not keep the driver you have.
You may wish to repeat this process only in Device Manager click the plus mark in front of Moniters, repeat the rest of the steps. In my case no driver is needed for my monitor. Let us know if there is a triangle with an exclamation mark in front of your video card entry in Device Manager.

If this replaces your drivers reboot and see if you can now change the Display Properties, setting the colors to 256. Rebooting if needed.

Does this work? Regardless, you should consider upgrading all your device drivers with more recent versions. Have you looked around your computer manufactors web site? Companies often have a Customer Support section which includes the latest hardware upgrades. if you can find that online for your system do every upgrade they recommend is neccessary for your system. Especially do any BIOS upgrades and of course Video. Also post exactly which computer you have company name, Model number and the like. So we here have a better idea what we are dealing with. I'm assuming you don't have a custom built computer.

If you do have a custom built computer or if you wish to learn more detailed information about your system than Windows provides, gerryf provides a good tip (as always !)

you can download everest home edition

You can read about it Here or Download it here. It is a great very informative program, you may wish posting whatever information Everest tells you about your Video card.

If this doesn't work you may wish to look thru your at your system BIOS settings. Let us Know.