Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

lsass.exe system error - can't find object name

• Please log in to reply

KiAnKo

KiAnKo

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,

I just read about Zem's problem (http://www.geekstogo...tup-t12548.html)... and then it stuck me - my friend has the same problem!!!

After installing "Norton Internet Security 2006" 2 weeks ago, he went on a vacation, and coming back to almost the same problem.

He is using "Win XP Home" on an old "HP Presario 2100" laptop.

When starting his computer the message, the computer almost starts since I can see his DESKTOP bakground. (I have disable the WINDOWS LOG IN SCREEN when WINDOWS XP is starting).

"lsass.exe system error It was not possible to find any object name"

(translated from swedish:
"lsass.exe systemfel Det gick inte att hitta något objektnamn"
and therefor it might be not be the correct translation for the error code in english).

When I hit "OK", the computer restarts and get stuck at the same point. I have tried to start in Safe Mode, logged in as ADMINISTRATOR as well as trying to start with the last know good configuration ... Nothing works...

I have looked around here and serching GOOGLE for answers, but with no luck.

According to Symantec (norton):
http://securityrespo...c.ratsou.b.html

"lsass.exe" might be WINDOWS system file if it's an "L" and not an "I" (trojan according to SYMANTEC)

Is this a "good site" (or a hoax/trojan etc):
http://www.processli...ry/files/isass/

Can anyone help me with step by step instructions on what to do?

Thanks
Kim

Edited by KiAnKo, 22 September 2006 - 09:57 AM.

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
If you have your XP install CD try and do a repair from it. When you boot from the cd dont do the first repair option, go past that one and choose the second repair option a couple screens later.

Let me know.

KiAnKo

KiAnKo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I have the
* "Compaq QuickRestore System Recovery CD" on 7 (!!!) CDs in swedish
* "Compaq Operation system CD" on 1 CD (also in swedish)
* "COMPAQ RECOVERY DVD" (in english).

Which one do you suggest? (His installed OS-version is swedish...)

Will any of them delete/erase my data from my computer?

didjmaster

didjmaster

• Pip
  • 1 posts

If you have your XP install CD try and do a repair from it. When you boot from the cd dont do the first repair option, go past that one and choose the second repair option a couple screens later.

Let me know.

I am experiencing some problems loading windows xp - I am getting the "lsass.exe - object name not found" upon startup. It never gets into the os, just restarts the computer and its vicious cycle every time you hit the "ok" button on the error prompt. I have been trying various methods of getting this error to go away, but nothing seems to work.

I have tried repairing using the first repair option on the widows xp installation cd (recovery console), although I don't know what I am supposed to put it once I get there - it eventually just restarts on its own.

I have tried deleting the partition that my os is installed on, as well as simply formatting. Both of those result in the infamous blue screen of death. I don't have any files on my computer that have not already been backed up, so I'm fine with a format. But I can't even do that.

I wanted to use JAXISLAND's option of recovering the installation (which entails NOT choosing the first option to repair with Recovery Console when using the XP windows installation; rather first going to "setup windows xp" (hitting enter), then choosing "repair windows xp installation". The problem is that I never see that last screen ("repair windows xp installation"). I choose "setup windows xp" (by hitting enter), and then my only other options are to proceed with a format and clean installation and deleting the partition where the os installation is (both of which result in the blue screen of death). Why can I not see the screen that prompts me for "repair the selected Windows XP installation"? Recovery Console is a mystery to me, so I just want to use XP own repair method.

Any help would be great. Otherwise I'll just have to throw the whole computer in the street and buy a new one.

Thanks guys.