Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Both my CD-RW and DVD player stopped working at the same time.....why?

• Please log in to reply

zowiemagic

zowiemagic

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Suddenly one day both my CD-RW and DVD player stopped working. Device Manager said their drivers might be corrupted so I deleted the drivers and attempted to download new ones. That didn't work and I can't very well reinstall the original software since the two devices that can do that are the very ones that have gone bellyup. Does anyone have any idea why both of them would die at the same time? They'll still eject and light up when I put a disk in, but that's all. :whistling:

Laurie

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Use device manager to uninstall the drives then reboot

zowiemagic

zowiemagic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Thanks for the advice, Keith..... unfortunately, it didn't work. :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi zowiemagic...

You say there was a driver error associated with the drives' failure? Do you remember more of what the error actually said?

Let's take a look at the upper and lower filters for the cd-rom problem. Click Start then Run and type regedit...click "Ok"

In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SYSTEM, then CurrentControlSet, then Control, then Class, and click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} In the right pane, are UpperFilters and/or LowerFilters listed?

wannabe1

zowiemagic

zowiemagic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Only Upper Filters come up. Under Type it says REG_MULTI_SZ and under Data it says InCDPass incdrm.
There are no Lower Filters.

Please forgive my ignorance, but what are Upper and Lower Filters?

Laurie

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Many third-party programs that control CD or DVD burning (as well as some player applications) install CD- or DVD-ROM filter device drivers into Windows. These filter drivers are meant to allow for low-level hooks into the hardware, to allow for functions such as packet writing (where a CD-R/W or DVD-/+RW can be written incrementally, like a hard disk).

These filter drivers sometimes have problems that can cause the CD or DVD drive to stop working correctly. The device entry for the CD or DVD drive in the Device Manager may show up with an error descriptor that reads "The device could not start." Additionally, there may be an error message that reads "One of the filter drivers for this device is invalid." The devices themselves do not show up in Explorer. Error codes for the device include code 31, code 32, code 19 or code 39, and sometimes the even more ominous warning "Your registry might be corrupted" appears.

That being said, set a system restore point. Go back to the registry key, right click on UpperFilters, and choose "Delete". Close Registry Editor and any other open applications and reboot.

Is your drive now detected and functional?

zowiemagic

zowiemagic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Sorry for not getting back with you sooner - sometimes life beyond the Internet (unbelievable as that concept may be...) does interfere with reality. Thanks ever so much for the advice which I intend to follow (though not tonight - my eyelashes have cement blocks strapped to them). Will your instructions solve the problem for both my CD-RW and DVD player? They both stopped functioning at the same time.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If this fixes one, it should fix them both...at the ame time.

zowiemagic

zowiemagic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Thanks an awesome million, Wannabe 1 ! I'll try that and let you know. :whistling:

Laurie

zowiemagic

zowiemagic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Wannabe1, better be glad I'm not around you or else you'd be in the hospital with broken ribs 'cause I'd be hugging you so tightly....

THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU
THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU

Oh, and if I've forgotten to say it - THANK YOU!

After over three months of a nonfunctioning CD-RW, I've just spent the last few hours blissfully saving stuff to disk... YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! I'm dancing, I'm so happy....

Oh, yes, and you're right - my DVD player's now operational, too....

A maniacally thrilled Laurie :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
My pleasure... :whistling:

*wannabe1 thinks zowiemagic is a "happy camper"....

zowiemagic

zowiemagic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
What was your first clue?

(Possibly the cartwheels and handsprings of joy catapulting me off all available walls like a superball on a caffeine high ....)