Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stuttering mouse when reading CDs/DVDs

• Please log in to reply

tomdrayson

tomdrayson

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Hi, I have just fitted and installed a new graphics card, and now my mouse goes very jerky whenever my DVD/CD drive is reading a disk. I have the latest drivers for my card, and this only happens when my DVD/CD drive is in use. This did not happen with my previous graphics card. Any ideas what I should do?

Many thanks

Edited by tomdrayson, 21 November 2006 - 02:21 PM.

Advertisements

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Did you update the drivers for the new card? We may have a resource issue going on here.

For those whose mouse jitters, hops, jumps, stutters, etc. here are a few other "causes" not directly related to this specific issue: ... one should work for you :whistling: They all seem to have one think in common. I also have noted my optical mouse goes haywire when I've reached the edge of the pad :blink:

1. From a gamer: "A mouse pad that does not perfectly reflect light or whose surface is not slick will cause a mouse to stutter."

2. "Not NVIDIA Issues—SLI
• GeForce 6800/6600 GT: Slow performance with World of Warcraft in SLI mode.
This is not an NVIDIA bug, but instead the result of a recent patch for World of Warcraft to reduce mouse lag on slower computers by synchronizing the GPU(s). This change is unnecessary for NVIDIA users, and particularly for users with SLI configurations.
For optimal performance when playing World of Warcraft in SLI mode:
• Disable vertical sync within the World of Warcraft in-game video options.
• Enable "hardware mouse" acceleration and disable "smooth mouse" within
the World of Warcraft in-game video options.
"Smooth mouse" reduces mouse lag when the frame rate is low and "hardware mouse" is disabled."

3. I've run into this problem with a couple of standard Logitech optical mice. The problem does not appear to be with the mouse, but with the mouse pad. Try using the mouse on a flat, hard surface such as a table or desktop surface. If this fixes the problem, then it's the mouse surface that you are using.

4. I use a MSFT Intellimouse Optical, and I noticed this same problem whenever I used the mouse on my gel mousepad. Now, I have to use the mouse on the hard-wooden surface...so far no problems.

5. i have a msft intellimouse explorer and i found i was able to get rid of the jitteryness by screwing with the settings in the control panel for it

6. Is this a laptop? Maybe a conflict with the driver or support software for the built in pointing device? Since you using a USB mouse ..try disabling the PS2 mouse option in your BIOS if it is there. (...too many devices trying to control one pointer

7. The optical eye requires a lot of detail to work properly. Optical mice won't work properly on shiny. smooth or surfaces that are highly repititive like newsprint. I had a Intellimouse Explorer that would work on my leg and the woodgrain on my desk but sometimes on my smooth mousepad the cursor would head in the opposite direction.

8. I use a several brands of optical mice on a plain black neoprene mouse pad and I haven't noticed this problem. However, when using a plastic coated mousepad, I get that problem due to the reflection. Even the slightest reflection seems to throw the mouse off...

9. I use my Logitech Opti Scroll mouse on a white sheet of paper. This is when I want more movement for the mouse.

Probably a ton more out there...

tomdrayson

tomdrayson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Thanks for your suggestions, but I did not have this problem 5 minutes earlier with my old graphics card.
The issue is not with the mouse itself - I have noticed that the CD reading actually effects the general smoothness of everything, which would attribute the problem to the CD drive - but I don't believe this is the case either, because the problem only arose after I fitted my new card. It seems as if the new card/drivers are affecting my CD drive for some reason....
And yes I have downloaded the latest drivers from nVidia.

Thanks

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Does the old card work at all, so that you can return it to its bay and see, at least, if the mouse still jitters? i.e. to determine if it is the card, the mouse, the drivers, something else?

And also check with the hardware forum...which may be more appropriate in this situation, since we are dealing with hardware responses...

tomdrayson

tomdrayson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Replacing the old card solves the problem - the mouse works pefectly smoothly when disks are being read/written.
Also, with the new card, when the Lead In is being written, the mouse on the screen freezes completely, no matter how much I move it physically. This is actually quite a long time when writing dual layer DVDs.
Any more suggestions? Thank you!

Edited by tomdrayson, 25 November 2006 - 11:15 AM.

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Have you taken the problem to the hardware forum? What did they say?

Not being a hardware "person" myself, I have to rely on my own logic in such cases...if it works with the old card, then why change to a new one? [rhetorical] Performance? Ability to do other functions? ...

Reviewing your notes...and then tossing a few ideas around...

1. why new card...be sure that you are clear in what you want it to do, and what you are asking it to do, based upon the system parameters that you are dealing with
2. was it "set up" properly...and were no others bits and bobs disturbed in the process, while working inside the "box"
3. was it "set" into the bay tightly and "square"
4. was the bay "aired" out with compressed air before installing the new card
5. were the resource settings checked to see if a conflict is causing a fight for resources
6. were dll dependencies checked to see if two progs or more, are fighting to share the dll at the same time
7. did you do a blanket dll upgrade for the whole computer...especially the DivX drivers, ATI or NVIDIA
8. is the card defective
9. can you haul the unit, with both cards in hand, back to where you bought the new card from, and show them the problem with the new card...play dumb...and see if you can get them to figure it out
10. change cards to another "new" one while there
11. not all cards are created equal...did you get the best quality card you could find for what you want it to do
12. is there "other" hardware that should have been updated to accommodate the "new" cards demands
13. was a hardware check done prior to and post install of the "new" card to see if any probs were intimated [there is software to do this in a cursory way, as I understand]

etc...

Again, check with the Hardware folks for more definitive suggestions...

Edited by b1caez01, 25 November 2006 - 01:26 PM.

tomdrayson

tomdrayson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Hi again, I have had no reply from the hardware forum.
I upgraded purely for gaming performance. My old card was a Radeon X600 Pro, and my new one is a GeForce 7600 GT.
I am confident that it is fitted and installed properly.
I must admit, I did not air out the bay with compressed air - does everybody do this?
Not sure how to check the "resource settings" or DLL dependencies...
All my drivers are up to date as far as I know.
I don't think the card is defective. The performance isn't as good as I expected, but it works fine, apart from the the freezing mouse problem.
I bought the card online, and I don't really want to send it back.
Not sure what you mean by a hardware check - I have an ASUS P5B motherboard, 2GB OCZ DDR2 6400 RAM, a Core 2 Duo 2.67GHz, and my DVD drives are a Plextor PX-755A and a Pioneer DVR-111.

Anyway, if you have any other suggestions, they would be welcome!

Thanks

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Sounds good...

1. dust is often the silent killer inside the computer...when exiting anything, dust may sneak in as you both take the old hardware out, and when you insert the new hardware into the bay...mostly, it causes heat build up...so a good snort of O2 is a good habit to get into
2. check out DependDLL.exe for checking on dll dependencies; if you find a conflict you may need to just upgrade it or shut down one bit of software that uses it, while running another that also uses it
3. download a good hardware checker...type into google "hardware checking software" a whole whack of them pop up...the draw back, for me anyway...is that since I have not hardware skills, I don't have a clue as to what I am supposed to look at...and when I see it, what am I looking for...so I am a dud on this score...
What I mean by a hardware checker, is something that will tell you what is installed, and how well it is working...as well as its driver dependencies, and then are these drivers being affected by anything while working...that sort of stuff... A hardware person would be the person to advise...hopefully, they'll catch up to you :help:
4. I now see that you are a gamer, I don't think that I was aware of that before..."you guys" will have a whole set of needs that I as a non-gamer would not have...RAM and speed, the top two I suppose :blink: So, if it is not too much of a burden, can you pop one card out and the other in when doing the separate tasks?
5. are you sure that the new card is really the most compatible with all else that you have on board? You said it is performing a bit "off" so I wonder if is something else in the works and not the new card, or even the old card...was the MB circuitry checked out...again, heat can be a pain and will affect all sorts of those wee gizmos on the mother board :whistling: The Tech shop has the hard tools to check this out...

Ultimately, you might have to take it into the shop for a good checkup...