Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

sfc /scannow.......

• Please log in to reply

pomp

pomp

the man

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
Hello. I have been having problems with explorer.exe randomly hanging at 50% cpu usage at times. I ran system file checker..and it said something about it needing to write a file or something to the DLL Cache and to insert the XP SP2 disc...so that means it found where a file is missing or corrupted? I had it skip that file and not do anything with it, so then the same box came up, I had it skip it, and the same box came up again..It came up like 5 or so times till I canceled the scan...So do you think I should definitely put the xp sp2 disc in and have it write the missing or corrupted files back onto the system??... Thanks. Never really had this problem before :tazz:.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Heya pomp86! :tazz:

If the System File Checker asks for your xp cd so it can replace the corrupted files then you want to put the cd in and let the file(s) be replaced.

Fenor

pomp

pomp

the man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
kk :tazz:. I'm not going to lose any files on my HDD or anything when using the system file checker with the xp sp2 disc in replacing the files, right??? Thanks. I can't afford to lose anything lol.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
No it only replaces corrupt or missing windows files everything else is safe.

pomp

pomp

the man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
Oh, nevermind, lol. That dialog I was getting during the sfc /scannow scan with the xp cd not in the drive is because of the way the sourcepath key was set to the cd drive. And it turns out, nothing system files wise is corrupted.