Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to install Vista the safe, easy free way

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
How to install Vista the safe, easy free way

Note: This is a preliminary draft of a guide for installing Windows Vista...it is a work in progress and be modified over the next week or so. However, instead of fielding PMs and multiple questions, I decided to put this up in a mostly complete form for those who need help. Please feel free to ask questions and I will incorporate them into the guide in its final form.

Caveat: Windows Vista is a beta, that means that it is not ready for the general public and you should probably not install it if you only have one computer and you are not willing to risk losing it. That out of the way, here is a simple guide on one way to install Vista that approximates what most people are going to face.

Caveat II: It goes without saying that you should ABSOLUTELY BACKUP ALL IMPORTANT DATA before doing anything as dicey as installing a beta OS. I have done this procedure more than a dozen times on a dozen different machines, and it has not failed, but be aware something can go wrong

Final caveat: the screenshots dealing with the resizing of a disk are representations and not completely accurate. You will note that the disk sizes shown in the screen captures are smaller than the basic system requirements for Windows Vista...that is because I created the screen captures on a temporary, smaller drive than required for Vista. The process is the same with a larger drive and you should create a drive at least 15 gb in size.

What you need

A working copy of Windows XP

At least 15gb of FREE harddrive space

A windows Vista Beta CD.

either download from http://www.microsoft...dy/preview.mspx or one sent in the mail)

A GParted Live CD

http://gparted.sourc....net/livecd.php

Harddisk controller drivers from the controller manufacturer if you have a SCSI or SATA drive

Minimum requirements

(from Microsoft)

A Windows Vista Capable PC includes at least:
  • A modern processor (at least 800MHz1).
  • 512 MB of system memory.
  • A graphics processor that is DirectX 9 capable.
Windows Vista Premium Ready PCs
To get an even better Windows Vista experience, including the Windows Aero user experience, a PC must meet or exceed the Premium Ready requirements described below.
  • 1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor1.
  • 1 GB of system memory.
  • A graphics processor that runs Windows Aero2.
  • 128 MB of graphics memory.
  • 40 GB of hard drive capacity with 15 GB free space.
  • DVD-ROM Drive3.
  • Audio output capability.
  • Internet access capability.
Let's get started

Most people are going to install Vista on their current machine no matter how much they are warned against it, so since that is the case, let's make it as safe as possible.

Ideally, you would want to load it on a second harddrive, but a second harddrive seems a bit much for testing Windows Vista, so we're going to assume you just willing to throw caution to the wind and go with what you have.

If no second drive is available, it is advisable to It is advisable to place Vista on its own partititon. Neither Windows XP or Vista has a tool for resizing a windows partition There are a number of third-party tools you can purchase to do this, but there is a free alternative that does the job just as well--Gparted. And luckily, Gparted also comes as a live, bootable Linux CD, available at the link above.

Don't worry, you don't need to know a thing about Linux to get this done.

Before you resize your partition it is STRONGLY recommended that you run both a chkdsk and defragment on your existing harddrive

To run chkdsk, press START > RUN, and type

CMD

<enter>

In the command line box, type

chkdsk /r

<enter>

Windows will complain that the volume is locked and ask if it should schedule a disk check on next reboot. Press the Y key and Windows will confirm. Close the command line box, and reboot.

Windows will run a chkdsk--leave it alone and let it run,

When Windows reboots, run a defrag on the volume (drive) you are going to be resizing

Start > run, type

dfrg.msc

<enter>

Choose your drive in the box and click DEFRAGMENT

Let it finish

Getting ready to resize your partition

Once you download the image, you need to burn it to a CD and boot your computer with it--this is different than burning a file to a CD. If you do not know how to burn an ISO image, then download the following program to any Windows XP machine, install it.

Note: Make certain you download the proper installation for your version of windows.

Open MY COMPUTER, choose HELP > ABOUT. Note the service pack and get the appropriate version of the iso burner power toy from the following

http://isorecorder.a...isorecorder.htm

Download and install. After installation, reboot

Now right click the gparted-livecd-x.x.x-x.iso.iso file you downloaded above and choose COPY IMAGE TO CD.

This will make a CD that you can use to resize your partition to make room for Vista

Resizing your partition

Ok, time to resize your partition. Start your computer with the just made gparted cd, which will bring you to the following screen:

vista01.jpg

This is just a splash screen, so just hit enter to load a live linux OS. You will see a lot ofstuff you really don't care about. Just let it load.

vista02.jpg

After Linux loads, you will be asked to set up Linux and Gparted for your machine with 6 or 7 screens....nothing is being loaded to your harddrive, it's all happening in memory. You can adjust your screen resolution, language, etc...but for our purposes, the defaults will work just fine, so just hit <ENTER> for the next 6 screens, which look something like this:

vista03.jpg

You'll get one more splash screen, then Gparted finally loads

vista10.jpg

Select the drive you want to resize at the top by clicking on the box that has /dev/hda (this means first harddrive) in it. so it highlights, then click the RESIZE/MOVE button, which will pop up a new dialogue box

vista13.jpg

This is where you will set the size of the new parition, Windows Vista needs a little more than 8gb of space

just for itself, so if you want a usuable version of Vista, give yourself at least 15gb.

You can either grab the black arrow, or type 15000 in the box labeled FREE SPACE FOLLOWING, which might have been better labeled, "free space after resizing."

Anyway, click the RESIZE button, which will result in the following screen.

vista14.jpg

You are not done yet; you've only set the options you want. Now you need to hit the APPLY button on the top. Gparted will ask you if you are sure you want to do this--click APPLY

vista15.jpg

Now Gparted will get to work resizing your partition, which looks something like this:

vista16.jpg

When it is done, it will let you know--the amount of time it will take depends on the size of the drive, but DO NOT INTERRUPT the program

vista17.jpg

In the lower right hand corner, press the CD button to eject the Gparted CD

vista18.jpg

Now press the reboot button (the red one)
vista19.jpg

Your computer will reboot, but before Windows loads, it is going to recognize that the harddrive is somehow different...this is normal. It is going to run CHKDSK one more time, and you want it to...do not skip it by pressing a key
vista27.jpg

After CHKDSK is complete, Windows will load, but it will detect something has changed...don't do anything while it works to detect new hardware. When it is finished, it will alert you that it found new hardware and needs to reboot
vista28.jpg

Reboot one more time,

Preparing the new drive for Vista

Load back into Windows XP and insert your Windows Vista CD.

Autoplay will kick in and Windows setup will start to load

On reboot, windows will not yet show the second drive because the all you have is unallocated space--there is no second drive yet.

START > RUN, and typing
diskmgmt.msc
<enter>
vista20.jpg

You will see an UNALLOCATED space following your now resized drive.

Right click the UNALLOCATED, and choose NEW PARTITION. The New Partition Wizard will start

Click NEXT

003.jpg

Leave it as Primary, Click NEXT

004.jpg

Set to the maximum size and Click NEXT

005.jpg

Assign it as a drive letter (leave the default letter unless you have a reason not to). Click NEXT

006.jpg

Format as NTFS. You can give the volume a new name if you like, such as VISTA

007.jpg

Click FINISH

008.jpg

If you look closely, you will see the disk is now formatting. Wait until it is complete, then close Disk Management
009.jpg

Installing Vista

Ok, now we are finally ready to install VISTA! Drop your VISTA DVD into your DVD Drive and autoplay should kick in and start (if it does not, go into MY COMPUTER and double click your DVD drive)
Click INSTALL NOW

vista40.jpg

You will get a quick, blank splash screen as windows set up begins to load and then you will be asked to enter your Product Key. Enter it in the appropriate box and hit Next (go ahead and click Automatically Activate...)

vista42.jpg

Next up, you need to agree with the End User License Agreement, check the box and click NEXT

vista43.jpg

Upate is not active for the current beta, which is OK, since we don't want that anyway. Click the CUSTOM install option

vista44.jpg

This brings you to the portion of setup that allows you to pick where you want to install..select your second drive. This screen also is where you must install any special drivers for your harddrive controller...If you are installing Vista on a SCSI or SATA drive, you need the drivers

Unlike Windows XP, you can install the drivers from a floppy or CD. Click LOAD DRIVER and navigate to the appropriate location of the driver.

NOTE: At the moment, I do not have a PC with SATA/SCSI drive controller, so I cannot show this....I will add screen captures at a later date).

After the special drivers are loaded, click NEXT
vista45.jpg

Sit back, Windows Vista will now load. At the moment, the install progress is tracked by a simple progress bar on the bottom. Vista will reboot several times throughout this process. Just let it go and do not interfere.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
100 views and no comments, so I guess it must be working....

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Thx a bunch
This is Exactly what i was looking for, I have a few q's for you thou.
1. Will uninstalling vista beta 2 be as easy as installing it on a dual boot system? :blink:
2. When you say that SATA hd's need to load drivers, does that mean all SATA hd's or just ones with controllers enabled in bios? I have a SATA HD but disabled the Raid Controlers in Bios, would I still need to load drivers? if yes where can i find the drivers?
3. Do you personally feel that Vista is something worth trying out, or should i stick to my old xp?

Again Thank you very much. :whistling:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
1.Uninstalling is fairly straight forward.

Easiest way is to go to diskmanagement in xp, right click the VISTA partition, and delete it.

Then you can remove the vista bootsector by loading your xp recovery console with an xp cd and typing fixboot c:
or
from your root directory
c:\boot\fixntfs /xp
(vista installs this directory when creating a dualboot system)

2. You need the SATA drivers only if you are installing vista on an sata drive

3. depends on the system

It is pretty, but system resource intensive. I would install it on nothing less than a p4 with 1gb of ram with a ati 9600 or better videocard. Ideally, you want a harddrive spinning faster than 5400rpms, as the beta still hits the harddrive a lot, so faster drives (7200rpm with 8mb cache or better) would seem advisable if you want to enjoy the vista experience

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Thx
I do have a SATA hard drive, but have no idea where to get that driver. Nothing came with the mobo or the hd.

Appreciate all your help

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
and do you intend to install vista on that sata drive?

Who makes your motherboard? SATA controller?

download Everest Home

http://www.geekstogo...d...=show&id=13

unzip it, install it, and then save a report and ATTACH it to your next post.

To do this, go to FILE > SAVE AS

put it on your desktop and give it a file name

Now click the ADD REPLY button on the bottom of this thread, click the BROWSE button beneath the text bo and navigate to your desktop, select your file and click the OPEN button, and then click the ADD THIS ATTACHMENT button next to the BROWSE button

Click Add reply button

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
here it is. i have an asus p4p800e deluxe with a maxtor diamondmax plus 10 sata 250gb hd with 16mb cache. SATA controller is made by Intel. BTW I didn't need to load any drivers for xp, it was simply plug in the hd and installing it.
Sry couldn't attact it for some reason even thou it's only 245kb

Computer:
Computer Type ACPI Multiprocessor PC
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer 7.0.5346.5
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Computer Name C2RRSPA7G4O4J6X
User Name Michael Gao
Logon Domain C2RRSPA7G4O4J6X
Date / Time 2006-07-07 / 20:31

Motherboard:
CPU Type Intel Pentium 4, 3000 MHz (15 x 200)
Motherboard Name Unknown
Motherboard Chipset Intel Springdale i865PE
System Memory 2048 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type AMI (04/26/05)

Display:
Video Adapter ALL-IN-WONDER 9800 SERIES - Secondary (128 MB)
Video Adapter ALL-IN-WONDER 9800 SERIES (128 MB)
3D Accelerator ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (R350)
Monitor Samsung SyncMaster 907p(T)/950p(T)/957p(T)/MagicSyncMaster CM197A [19" CRT] (HVAW114947)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter Realtek ALC850 @ Intel 82801EB ICH5 - AC'97 Audio Controller [A-2/A-3]

Storage:
IDE Controller Intel® 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers
IDE Controller Intel® 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers
SCSI/RAID Controller SCSI/RAID Host Controller
Floppy Drive 软盘驱动器
Disk Drive Maxtor 6L250S0 (250 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA)
Optical Drive HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4120B (DVD+R9:2.4x, DVD+RW:12x/4x, DVD-RW:8x/4x, DVD-RAM:5x, DVD-ROM:16x, CD:40x/24x/40x DVD+RW/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM)
Optical Drive HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8163B (16x/52x DVD-ROM)
Optical Drive KJ1359R IDI641O SCSI CdRom Device
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) 239359 MB (172645 MB free)

Edited by †Gladiator†, 07 July 2006 - 06:57 PM.

Paulisneat

Paulisneat

• Pip
  • 9 posts
SO if I do this, After awhile if I decide that I don't want to do that anymore, I can just pop in my Recovery CD's and bring all the settings back to my Windows XP media center stuff right?

Meaning....I would go back to my 2 hard drives...C...and D(D is my recovery drive thing.

Again I have not done it yet I am just waiting to get some feed back.

Thanks

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
well, I cannot find any Vista only drivers, but, that does not mean it will not work. Vista includes a lot of drivers so it may auto install without adding any drivers. You could try

I found one person with the same sata controller, but a different motherboard who could NOT get it to install -- but that was an earlier version of Vista.

What he did was install windows xp on the drive and then run the Vista upgrade.

Now, the problem is, I do not know if Beta II has upgrade enabled or not....pretty sure it is, but it's been on and off with each version. MS enables upgrade, disables it, enables it, disables....you get the picture

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Paul,

I don't know what you mean by recovery CDs

Many recovery CDs are bit by bit recreations of the factory settings. If that is the case, then yes, you will be right back to where you were when you first opened your box

However....and this is important....SOME PCs have software on a hidden partition--I am not sure I would rish the a dual boot with a system such as this, because what I have proposed is altering the partition table--which might make the recovery parition non-functional.

Since many xp installs are very large with XP and other stuff, many go this route

Advertisements

Paulisneat

Paulisneat

• Pip
  • 9 posts
So I have to be careful about this?....Why I mean I got The Recovery CDs to make...everything back to normal....Anyway

Would doing this affect my D drive?......

Or as time fly's by one day when I want to go back to my default OS, There would be no problem. And I can just do the recovery process with no problem?(put the CD's in a CD drive and press F(whatever)

If I am not making sense. please bare with me. I have been really ill. I'm starting to get better though. I just somethmes can't think straight.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you should always be careful with a OS install

Will it affect your d drive....what is your d drive? cd-rom? dvd-rom? recovery partition?

to be absolutely honest, if I had a single drive with a recovery partition, I would NOT install vista on it because of the rish of damaging the partition table and messing up that partition.

I trust paritition editing software only so far.

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
I ran the vista upgrade advisor and under the software assessment section it said that the SATA driver will be installed automatically.
So Thx for all your help, I will Give Vista a try

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
good deal...your system is old enough so the drivers are incorporated---a lot of newer systems are still waiting for drivers

Paulisneat

Paulisneat

• Pip
  • 9 posts
My D drive is my Recovery drive.......So I want to leave that alone....

So I think I can explain this better...since my headache has gone down alot.

When I do this(make a new partition) from drive C...so that will be 3 drives now(C,D(recovery)and the new drive)

If I want to go back to the 2 drives(C,D) I can insert my recovery CD's and format the C drive(thats what it will ask me..when I boot up From CD) and the Drive that I created with the program you linked will be gone and I would have my 225.4GB C drive Back...Plus my factory settings

Am I right or am I wrong.

Sorry if I still are not making since.