Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

dvd rw and dvd rom not showing in my computer?

• Please log in to reply

dannarangi

dannarangi

• Pip
  • 2 posts
i've had my pc since feb of this year, and all of a sudden my dvd roms are not showing up in my computer... I went to the device manager, and i have the yellow exclimation marks next to both of them. I uninstalled the driver, reinstalled the driver, unabled it, and enabled it, and then i went to update driver and it wont update a new driver... i'm lost because i dont have a way to back up my data.
Any help would be wonderful.
Thanx

Advertisements

The_Sloth

The_Sloth

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Have you recently uninstalled any cd burning software?

dannarangi

dannarangi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
i uninstalled all of my burining s/w and reinstalled it all, still having the problems...

The_Sloth

The_Sloth

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
First try uninstalling your burning software and going to http://sloth.is-a-ge...Uninstalled.exe and running the file.

If that doesn't work, go to http://www.geekstogo..._me-t43749.html and read what I told worcesteradam to do. I originally thought his problem was the same as yours, but it wasn't. Turns out what I told him to try first wasn't the solution for him, but it is for you. Follow the steps I listed up to the point where I finish the Yahoo convo with the guy I thought was worcesteradam.

Edited by The_Sloth, 13 July 2005 - 05:15 PM.

The_Sloth

The_Sloth

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Update: Received an e-mail from dannarangi stating that the link in the above post was the correct solution to his problem. The thread I mentioned states how to do the fix manually while the executable will do it for you. Only attempt this on machines running Win 2k or XP.

ravineo123

ravineo123

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
hi mr sloth,
in my computer also dvd-rom is not showing. i cant find it in device manager also.even in the boot menu its not there.but when i insert any dvd i can hear the sound like it is reading dvd but it doesnt show anything. i have tried microsoft fixit,in registry also i have tried deleting upperfilter but nothing..few days before i gave my laptop in service centre to fix IC..battery was not getting charged.after that when i received from that time only its not showing dvd-rom..can it be the reason that they left any cable unconnected?? my laptop is dell-inspiron 1525.please help me.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Direct to: ravineo123

Please start your own topic
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping especially a topic where the last response was over 7 years ago. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system. I suggest posting in the Hardware forum where one of our Techs can give you the attention you deserve one on one. :thumbsup:
Please post more information as to your exact issue in your topic. Include any error messages you get as well as your system specs. This will help us to assist you more efficiently.
Thank you for your cooperation.