Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB ports stopped working

• Please log in to reply

thepiper

thepiper

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
Hello everyone....
My USB ports have stopped working. I get no response when I plug in a device. All devices used to work perfectly before.
All my drivers are in order. USB is not disabled in my BIOS setup. There is no such option anyway.

I have
ASUS A7N266 VM SE nForce 220D(Bios rev 1008 beta (don't jump at beta, been using it for 3 yrs without a hitch))

AMD Athlon XP 2000+
256 MB PC2100
OS- WinXP Pro 2002, with SP2 RC2 (installed this to resolve the USB issue, didn't help either)
mobo drivers:- nForce UDP 5.1 (installed this after SP2, but USB had stopped working with original)

Please help. I can't print.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Have you opened your case recently and added any new hardware?

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Topic: USB Stopped Working
Date: 18th Sept-2005

Reviewed your earlier POSTS – Appears that you have or had some [MALWARE] issues – Also it appears that your USB problem appeared right after completing > [G:\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe] per Metallica instructions – which was done earlier today – Was USB working before today –

Also reviewing earlier POSTS – this is your [RESOURCE DEVICE LIST] – It lists only 1 Type of USB [HOST CONTROLLER INTERFACING] – Usually there are 3 -

Resource Device Status
IRQ 9 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System OK
IRQ 0 System timer OK
IRQ 8 System CMOS/real time clock OK
IRQ 13 Numeric data processor OK
IRQ 6 Standard floppy disk controller OK
IRQ 4 Communications Port (COM1) OK
IRQ 3 Communications Port (COM2) OK
IRQ 1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard OK
IRQ 12 Microsoft PS/2 Mouse OK
IRQ 5 NVIDIA nForce PCI System Management OK
IRQ 20 Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller OK
IRQ 20 Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller OK
IRQ 21 NVIDIAฎ nForce™ MCP Audio Processing Unit (Dolbyฎ Digital) OK
IRQ 22 NVIDIAฎ nForce™ Audio Codec Interface OK
IRQ 14 Primary IDE Channel OK
IRQ 15 Secondary IDE Channel OK
IRQ 19 NVIDIA GeForce2 Integrated GPU OK

How many USB [DEVICES] are installed on PC – Go to following Web Site – Download the FREE EDITION of [EVEREST] - - http://www.lavalys.h...p?pid=1&lang=en - - Expand [DEVICES] – Click on [DEVICES] then Left Click [REPORT] on Top Menu to [PULL DOWN MENU] > Select [QUICK REPORT] > [HTML] – Click on [HTML] then [SAVE to FILE] & Attach it to your POST –

Repeat the same for [MOTHERBOARD] Folder – I need to know INFO on Motherboard & CHIPSET – Also it looks like you now have WINDOWS XP w SP2 – How old is PC – and did you UPDATE OS from WIN98 – Was it an [UPGRADE] or [FRESH] – Do you have Installation CD –

It is hard to step in the middle of problems without seeing the FULL PICTURE -

I assume that your printer is a USB INTERFACE – Did you move it recently – The reason I ask – is that the USB Connector for most printers is [USB SERIES B] and is taller & thinner than the PC END – this connector pulls out VERY EASILY & that is often the case when USB Printers stop working suddenly – Just disconnect & reconnect both ends – to Verify > [CONNECTED PROPERLY] – It takes a little more effort to SEAT the [PRINTER END]

Jack123

thepiper

thepiper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Thx for the response... I've been desperate. I'll do everything you say, I'll answer all your questions, but I'll give you a little history 1st.

Abt. 6 months back, I was hit by some malware which hijacked my host file. I couldn't access the internet at all. I had WinXP Pro 2002, 5.1 with SP1 installed separately
I reinstalled windows from the CD I had. Didn't help. Then I used LSPfix.exe (had it from before) and everything was normal.
After that I installed AVG Free,ZA, Spybot, Ad Ware for protection. Weekly checks, all updated.
Printer , USB were working fine throughout.

Later, when I started playing some games, they started BSODing and stuttering, error:- nv4_disp.dll, Page fault in non paged area... etc etc.

I had updated Detonator drivers, so I unistalled , reinstalled, restored, fiddled, what not...... I started threads here and in Guru3d.com.

Finally I realised that the Win reinstallation had unistalled SP1 (Java VM missing) and also my mobo drivers.
Installed mobo drivers........ everything fine... games running awesome with new detonator updates. NO PROBLEMS WITH USB YET.

Now I wanted to update my mobo drivers to the latest UDP 5.1. But wouldn't install because I didn't have SP1 . Documentation also said that "Sp1 is a must or USB 2.0 will fail to function". I attempted to install the drivers a no. of time...... BUT THEY NEVER DID INSTALL. The installer just exited . This is a documented problem on their website and SP1 is required. Also, I don't think I have USB 2.0 .

However, it was around this time that my ports stopped working.
Documents in the print que just stagnated and the window did not respond. NOTE: I'm USING ORIGINAL MOBO DRIVERS AND NO SP TILL NOW.
I unistalled the printer. This took a lot of time, and looked like the computer was hanging. However it finished.

Then I installed SP2 RC2. And then the UDP 5.1 (latest mobo drivers) immediately. (primarily to solve this problem, and get perfromance boost)Yet no USB response. The same thing. Everything else fine. All devices recognised.
However, a new prob started. CPU usage became 100%, Log off / Shutdown takes unusually long, some programs start slow, non - admin acc. hangs frequently. For this I posted in the malware forum, and for the USB I posted here. I hope you've gone through the malware thread. I posted two thumbnails.

I'll install everest, but here's little prelim info...

Bought my comp. in April 2003, location-India
AMD 2000+ Athlon XP
Asus A7n266vm se mobo, nForce 220D
256 MB PC2100 (-32MB shared)
Bios :- 1008 Beta (updated in 2003 itself by me)
Installed Win 98SE, then above mentioned XP on it (upgrade), and later uninstalled 98SE (remove old sys files)

PROBLEM FREE OPERATION TILL THIS YEAR (THAT ^^malware attack).
(had also been hit by Blaster when it hit, and a desktop hijacker. Used Geekstogo help. done away with , all more than a yr ago)

Printer is fine........ HPDJ 3745. I print from my notebook. It's a Compaq Armada 1700, system req are way below (PII 233) the min req. for the printer (PIII). Prints without a hitch. ANyway it's still within warranty. You can rule out that.

SO thats the whole story. Now u hv a pic. Please read the other thread too.

Now I'll follow ur instructions.

thepiper

thepiper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
PS:- I've uninstalled the USB controller. Windows just detects them and reinstalls like normal. But no use....

thepiper

thepiper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Everst reports

thepiper

thepiper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
err.... I'm not exactly a newbie.... I do know a little stuff abt. comps.... so if you have specific questions, I can answer

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Thanks for the info – I have to review & digest – You have been busy !! I have a few POSTS to follow up on 1st – but I will get back soon –

1st – I would suggest that you visit Gibson Research Corporation and test your PC’s [Internet Security] and browse the site for good [Safe Internet Use]- Use SHIELDS UP & LEAK TEST –
Click on LINK below -
https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

This will show how well your FIREWALL is & give Internet precautions – It is a lot easier to find out the FIREWALLS weakness this way – then the way you have endured – Check out your LAPTOP also -

If you have a PORT open on the Internet – You have close the door in order to clean PC - To keep from getting re-infected -

From India? - How/why is your time is 2 ฝ hours earlier?? do not understand the ฝ hour??

The reason for EVEREST is that it is a lot easier to use then DEVICE MANAGER & ADMINISTRAVE TOOLS – plus it gives more complete info - & can be distributed easier – You can learn a lot about your PC –

Just some quick observations of your PC:

Thought that you might have had WIN 98 on PC – Earlier 2000 XP had no USB support – SP1 had USB 1.1 support & I believe SP2 has USB 2.0 support - However it is your PC that has the HARDWARE – And you are correct – You do not have USB 2.0 –

You only have listed -
Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller 5.1.2600.2149

This is a USB 1X – USB HOST CONTROLLER INTERFACE – and controls USB devices primarily thru Hardware -

Your CHIP SET is NVIDIA Corporation – this is what determines USB Properties – BIOS will support – I need to research version of Chip Set to determine direction -

What is OS on Laptop?

You can install Everest in Laptop & see what USB HOST CONTROLLER INTERFACE you have & what Controller is required for printer – See if you can INSTALL in PROBLEM PC

Printer HPDJ 3745 is not listed – I need to research this also – You are using printer on Laptop – USB Port? If it is USB – Can you use install this USB Driver on PROBLEM PC??

1 - You need to LOAD Driver & Printer Application 1st – without printer connected
2 – Restart PC to [WINDOWS INSTALL] Driver
3 – Connect Printer to USB Port & turn ON – PnP should [FIND] New Device

Will POST more after reviewing Everest Report-
Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 19 September 2005 - 01:16 PM.

thepiper

thepiper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Thanks for the info – I have to review & digest – You have been busy !! I have a few POSTS to follow up on 1st – but I will get back soon –

1st – I would suggest that you visit Gibson Research Corporation and test your PC’s [Internet Security] and browse the site for good [Safe Internet Use]- Use SHIELDS UP & LEAK TEST –
Click on LINK below -
https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

This will show how well your FIREWALL is & give Internet precautions – It is a lot easier to find out the FIREWALLS weakness this way – then the way you have endured – Check out your LAPTOP also -

If you have a PORT open on the Internet – You have close the door in order to clean PC - To keep from getting re-infected - 

From India? - How/why is your time is 2 ฝ hours earlier?? do not understand the ฝ hour??Indian time is GMT +5:30

The reason for EVEREST is that it is a lot easier to use then DEVICE MANAGER & ADMINISTRAVE TOOLS – plus it gives more complete info - & can be distributed easier – You can learn a lot about your PC –

Just some quick observations of your PC:

Thought that you might have had WIN 98 on PC  – Earlier 2000 XPI was using XP SP1, until it got uninstalled, but then again, USB was working had no USB support – SP1 had USB 1.1 support & I believe SP2 has USB 2.0 support  - However it is your PC that has the HARDWARE – And you are correct – You do not have USB 2.0 –

You only have listed -
Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller    5.1.2600.2149

This is a USB 1X – USB HOST CONTROLLER INTERFACE – and controls USB devices primarily thru Hardware - 

Your CHIP SET is NVIDIA Corporation – this is what determines USB Properties – BIOS will support – I need to research version of Chip Set to determine direction -

What is OS on Laptop?98 Plain, laptop's old and almost broke

You can install Everest in Laptop & see what USB HOST CONTROLLER INTERFACE you have & what Controller is required for printer – See if you can INSTALL in  PROBLEM PC

Printer HPDJ 3745 is not listed hey its a standard HP inkjet, low end though– I need to research this also – You are using printer on Laptop – USB Port?  If it is USB – Can you use install this USB Driver on PROBLEM PC??How do I isolate that driver and copy it?

1 - You need to LOAD Driver & Printer Application 1st – without printer connected
2 – Restart PC to [WINDOWS INSTALL] Driver
3 – Connect Printer to USB Port & turn ON – PnP should [FIND] New Device PnP should detect even before installing drivers, at least the device. That's what's not happening

Will POST more after reviewing Everest Report-
Jack123

View Post

thepiper

thepiper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
How do I know I haven't burnt out or blown my ports, physically?

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Topic: USB HP-3745 PRINTER Research Results -
Date: 20th Sept-2005

HP-3745 [PRINTER RESEARCH RESULTS]:

Here are some Web Sites for HP-3745 Printer – Do you have Installation CD? – If you do – Browse CD for [SCRUBBER.EXE] Utility Program – Click on [SCRUBBER] Link for more info – There was a reference to a situation where – continually loading failed drivers may need to RUN [SCRUBBER] Utility –

The fact that you lost SP1 & other events – you may not have the proper [HP WIN 2000 USB] Driver

Anyway – Browse thru the Links & see if you can get some help here on installing printer – You might need to update driver – you need WIN-2000 OS – Just something you can do – While I research more on System USB capacity/ability –

In the meantime I will be analyzing your motherboard – Chipset – USB Support – It looks as if all you have in the way of USB – Is USB 1.1 – [OPEN HOST CONTROLLER INTERFACE] – which is an USB 1.1 Host Controller that is mainly a Hardware Managing Controller – I will research motherboard and see what USB Support is there -

Printer HPDJ 3745
http://search.hp.com...45 &la=en&cc=us

Printer HP3745-Specs
http://h10010.www1.h...336-372337.html

Printer HP3745-Support
http://h10025.www1.h...n&lang=en&cc=us

Printer HP3745 Setup
http://h10025.www1.h...&lang=en&cc=us

Scrubber
http://h10025.www1.h...cname=c00095818

Drivers
http://h10025.www1.h...&lang=en&cc=us

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 20 September 2005 - 02:18 PM.

thepiper

thepiper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
thx again.....
Yes I had been to the HP Website. Under 3745 trouble shooting, there was an issue called " print jobs hang in queue". That is how it all started But I uninstalled my printer after that. However, no USB devices detected after I plug in (I have only 2, a data cable for my phone and the printer. Don't know otherwise) It's atleast supposed to detect something!!!!! and they rest is supposed to follow automatically..... But thats not happening.

Remember, I had been printing with those drivers (Standard OHCD) with XP SP1, without SP1 after uninstallation. It stopped suddenly mid way (print job hung in queue, ref. history).

I would like to have your attention regarding a certain thing in the devices report in Everest. When you've done researching, I'll point it out.

Thx......

PS:- You watch tennis? We're having a WTA Open here..... got Myskina and Likhotseva and our own Sania Mirza ......
I'm going for a game. Only wish Sharapova were here.......

Edited by thepiper, 21 September 2005 - 05:20 AM.

thepiper

thepiper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
[color=red] SCRUBBER DIDN"T HELP. SAME PROBLEM

thepiper

thepiper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
I also posted on USB Man.com.
They asked me to reinstall OS.
I uninstalled SP2 then reinstalled XP original. (upgrade). This didn't help either.
Now I'm without SP again.
However high CPU usage has gone.

How do I know I haven't burnt my ports?
Is there anything in the registry causing this? A ghosted device or something?

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Topic: ASUS A7N266-VM Motherboard
Date: 23rd Sept-2005

Looks as if you have been around the world with your problem – I have a hard time keeping up with you –
Of course I have a 5 ฝ Hrs. + 2 generations handicap – You have answered my last 2 POSTS before I could transmit – I research & verify my info 1st – [Do not want to add to the problem] – I have noticed you on the other Forums – [USB MAN] has [GOOD INFO] – but seems to have [Boilerplate/Canned] answers –

You probably do have a [Registry] problem/s – we all do – Just the nature of [WINDOWS?] – How many times have you gone thru the OS installation? – Still am confused/question when or how USB Printer problem occurred – You are trying to solve too many problems at once – Here are some registry related Web sites – Have you been there yet?
RegistryFix –
http://www.registryfix.com/?hop=truval
RegistryMechanic –
http://www.pctools.c...ic/?ref=googleA

About [Ghosting] effect – That is what [SCRUBBER] Utility was to address – That is a problem – and is more than likely related to your problem – All the times you have changed/reinstalled OS – The remains are still there – Plus all the times of Uninstalling USB Controllers & Reinstalling has to be a problem – Plus the Printer Drivers – which Scrubber was to cure – It probably did correct the Printer Driver issue – but did not address the USB Controller ISSUE –

Try the Registry approach & then inquire [USB MAN] about USB Controller Ghosting – I believe that there is a way to Uninstall the [HIDDEN] instances/occurrences of the USB CONTROLLERS – I think(?} that it may be that you might be able to accomplish this by:
1- Using [SAFE MODE]
2- Using [CONTROL PANEL] > [ADD or REMOVE HARDWARE] and/or [ADD or REMOVE PROGRAMS] to Uninstall these [HIDDEN INSTANCES]
3- You may have to set [PROPERTIES] of FILES & FOLDERS to [VIEW HIDDEN] in order to see them

I know that there is a way to view these [Ghosting/Sticking Drivers] – There are Driver Removal Utilities that you can try – Have you been there yet – Maybe I will see there –

Try the Registry & Driver Removal approach – while I research/develop a USB HARDWARE TEST method – all these other issues keep getting in my way –

Just be careful with PLAYING with REGISTRY – Only do 1 item at a time – Always establish a GOOD RECOVERY POINT – before trying the next item – ALWAYS have a recovery plan before ACTION -

I am a [HARDWARE] person – and usually find the HARDWARE to be fine – usually find:
1- Operator Error
2- Installation Problem / errors
3- Wrong application / Specification error
4- Setup errors / Resource conflicts
5- Software complications /
6- Failed Components (Usually as a result of aggressive Trouble Shooting) or CONNECTION ERROR
7- Once in awhile it is a OUT & OUT FAILURE – (Mainly on Initial Turn ON)
8- And if it is a Component Failure – I look for ROOT CAUSE – AND CORRECT - Problem is not FIXED until ROOT CAUSE is corrected – (I am from the OLD SCHOOL)

Still working on USB Printer problem – Having problems analyzing your [EVEREST] Reports – Ghosting seems to be evident there (??) – Do you have any FREE PCI Expansion slots – Looks like your PC has 3 PCI slots – Cannot verify if any are free or used – Do you have a NETWORK Card installed –

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 23 September 2005 - 10:12 AM.