ATTACHMENT: (to issue/new_post:"possibleTrojans+assortedMALWARE_w/Complications" with_descrip:"TDS-3_log_incl'd" by user:bri) >> Following, lists the steps & problems which I encountered with Your (Insipid's) initial directives: 1o6>Rebooted into SAFEMODE... check.!..A-Ok. 2o6>safemode_aaw-scan.. 3o6>safemode_sb-scan... check-check.!..A-Ok. (no problems..each removed the Correct sets of things & thing) 4o6_AoB>normal-bootup.. (see note below: (a single one-time error-dialog came up "Runner Error" re:Logitech)) > ..(that is, other than the usual GuardDog.exe missing startup item) .. 4o6_BoB>Panda-ActiveScan... check...(had a BSOD in middle of scan, but she ?finished? and disinfected 1of40odd) > [] >> BSOD:.. ((Afterwards,) i hit the space bar just once, and ActiveScan came back up and ?resumed?, and all other windows likewise *seem*ed to come back up just ?fine?:..) >>> WINDOWS >>> >>> >>> A fatal exception 0E has occurred at 00288C17E9B2E in VXD VTDI(01)+ >>> 0000024E - The current application will be terminated. >>> >>> * Press any key to terminate the current application. >>> * Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart your computer. You will >>> lose any unsaved information in all applications. >>> >>> Press any key to continue. > (afterwards, ActiveScan reported: "Your PC contains spyware that ActiveScan canNOT disinfect." ..and it went on to suggest i buy-into a panda_solution in order to disinfect said spyware...) *5o6>CCleaner... check..A-Ok. (Q: Might your stated "other stuff," include WildTangent? Startup apps? Any app?) > ..(regardless, i kept all the defaults for that which CCLEANER, cleaned.) 6o6>HJT-log_2ND-posting... done.! - (see bottom (of main post)) <-snip-> *HIT_A_SNAG_(just-after-Panda-ACTIVESCAN+prior-to-CCLEANER):.. I reached for reboot (at least i *think* it was reboot) on my way to running crap cleaner, and somehow either hit the shutdown, instead of reboot, or some software shut me down (but likely just tired and didn't notice)... So, I waited five minutes, and attempted to boot up so i could run CrapCleaner.. win98 startup menu comes up, asking me to boot up into safemode, and stating:.. >> Warning: Windows did not finish loading on the previous..... {woops, missed some of the content, but i'm sure you know this particular msg/err.} >> ...choose SafeMode, to start Windows with a minimal set of drivers. I then just hit the power-off toggle-switch, and shut her down, intending to report back and get further directions, but instead went on, and completed what i could on my own as faithfully as possible (details, herein) - {yes, i finally did get the HJT-log, but something's botched up, and it appears to be the Panda ActiveScan.. read the following if you like, or cut to the chase, up to you...}:.. (I took a time-out for my fitness-workout, came back, and booted up his (my friend's) machine, and shut it back down right away (was deciding to take a shower first).. or tried, but it wouldnt shut down immediatedly, so i waited about 3 seconds, and hit the toggle-switch power on/off button again, and it shut down (during bootup). Then I changed my mind, and decided I should get the issue posted, so i could shower and do bible study while i wait for you to reply, so i waited five minutes and turned her on again.. and, aGain changed my mind, during bootup (i have done this only a very few times since i got my first pc back in the first half of the year two thousand (2000)). ANYway, so yeah, i tried to reboot (not shut down this time) during bootup (sure hope i didnt screw anything up), but the following came up, instead of the pc rebooting (no effect appears to have comemy pressing ctrl+alt+del at this point: it did Not seem to *take*/register: i believe this was simply the result of the earlier failed shutdown (ie, hitting the power button, and not this-here-and-now ctrl+alt+del'ing), and that of the 'unfinished-startup' issue) - {calm, nothing *appears* damaged}:..) ||| VVV While initializing device IOS: Insufficient memory to initialize Windows. Quit one or more memory-resident programs or remove unnecessary utilities from your CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT files, and restart your computer. Shut her down again; Went and showered; Came back from shower; Turned her on and she asked for safemode again, so i let her have it -> she came up in safemode successfully, with Display Properties dialog open to SETTINGS, and i hit cancel, and rebooted, and she then came right back up just fine, in normal display mode (normal resolution and color depth and everything)... > ..Ok:Next: This bootup is the exact same as most every other i've had of late (other than the recent one: specifically, between (just after safemode-spybot-scan) booting back up normally, and getting ready to do panda-ActiveScan) in which the odd (""?BackWeb_process?/LogitechDesktopMessenger.exe""-related) dialog box came up (enTITLEd "Runner Error") which gave the err-msg "Runner file name (LogitechDesktopMessenger.exe) lacks a '-' (the app id seperator)" ..for which there was a disabled title-bar-control close-button and one other control, an OK button, to which i pressed Ok in order to close it.. (This error dialog has NOT come up at all after that initial time - perhaps Panda ActiveScan or the app itself (?or_the_backweb_process?) has disabled any further occurrences *shrugs*) tHANKS aGain, for caring for my friend's issue.! -bri/bcc >