[17:58] Hello everyone. [17:58] * Guest is now known as JoshFu [17:58] Hello JoshFu [17:59] I am having a problem getting an exe file to extract with winrar or winzip, or 7zip. It does this with any exe i try and extract. [17:59] I saw a post on these forums, and it seems rather unclear how to get past this problem. I am using windows home premium [18:00] I have no problem getting a text file, or any other type to unzip, but even exe files i package myself will not extract again. [18:00] If you know of a solution, please advise. [18:00] Have you tried just double clicking the compressed file? [18:00] yes\ [18:01] all it does it open it with winrar and show me the files to be extracted. the standard ui that you see anytime you open something via double click. [18:01] It still extracts all the files, but apparently either deletes the exe, or does not extract it at all. [18:01] I am wondering if perhaps vista has some kind of protection against unknown exe files? it seems odd that it wont let me extract from a rar file. [18:02] What files are you trying to extract? [18:02] In which instance? this happens with EVERY exe file i have tried to extract. [18:02] hmmmmm [18:03] It is irrelevant what file i am extracting so much as it is not letting the exe file be extracted. That is os related as far as i can tell. it never did this before i upgraded. [18:03] * gknee (gknee@bronze.supporter.wyldryde.org) has joined #geekstogo [18:03] * SpyBot sets mode: +v gknee [18:04] but for clarification it is for an item called a Trainer. even notepad.exe if i zip it, then try and extract, wont work. [18:05] * easy_way (easy_way@daveking.info) Quit (Ping timeout) [18:06] and NO, i am not using any illegal software, nor am i trying to unzip illegal software, nor am i interested in an opinion of my gaming ethics regarding a game trainer. I Would however really appreciate some actual information, and clarification of either a fix, or "I do not know" so i can continue looking. Please forgive my bluntness, but id really like to continue my lan party. [18:06] * easy_way (easy_way@daveking.info) has joined #geekstogo [18:06] * SpyBot sets mode: +v easy_way [18:08] So the origional question is in need of clarification. Is there a reason why Windows Vista will not allow ANY exe file to extract using winrar, winzip, or 7-zip? Yes i have double clicked, yes i have right clicked, i have also tried with my own fake exe files (merely changed the .txt to exe.) and it still wont allow me to extract to ANY folder. IS there a setting to fix? or is it just that Vista is broken in that regard? or do you not know [18:09] go for it then. I'm having to research this, too...and I'd sure hate to hold you up while I do so [18:09] I cant you see.... [18:09] * wannabe1 goes back to his nap [18:09] The file needs to be extracted. hence my coming here for computer help... [18:09] * Firebucket (firebckt@student.supporter.wyldryde.org) has joined #geekstogo [18:09] * SpyBot sets mode: +v Firebucket [18:11] since i am trying to host a lan party, and was unaware that vista had this problem, or setting etc. i am unable to procede until i get some type of info. Since your posting was the first in a google list regarding this issue, i had hoped to get a solution here. I did see that you were asked the same thing, some time ago in the forums, and you didnt know how to help then either, and rather than say so you tried to suggest someone was using [18:12] * twenty4 (twenty4@privatehost-F5FB5476.hsd1.va.comcast.net) has joined #geekstogo [18:12] * SpyBot sets mode: +v twenty4 [18:12] * twenty4 (twenty4@privatehost-F5FB5476.hsd1.va.comcast.net) Quit (Quit: twenty4) [18:13] Enjoy your nap. wannabe1 thanks for being as unhelpful as your forum post. Way to help a fellow out. [18:13] * JoshFu is now known as Wannabe1isaptlynamed [18:13] * Wannabe1isaptlynamed was kicked by wannabe1 (grow up)