My hope is that someone can tell me if the directions are missing a (few) step(s)or if I just missed something obvious. Thanks for your help! Installing PROPS ---------------- 1. Unpack the PROPS distribution tarball outside your web tree: tar xvzf props-x.x.tar.gz The uncompressed distribution creates a props/ directory containing the following files and subdirectories: CHANGELOG.TXT INSTALL.TXT LICENSE.TXT README.TXT UPGRADING.TXT cache/ includes/ lib/ modules/ public_html/ sql/ templates/ The public_html directory is your "web root" directory, and is the only directory which should be accessible to browsers via HTTP. All other directories contain support files, libraries, etc. and *should not* be accessible on the web. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- I took this to mean that the public_html folder was the only folder that should be in the publically accessible area and that all of the other files should be in the non-public area. ============================================================================== ============================================================================== 2. Create a database for use by the PROPS system. This database may already be in place if you are using a virtual hosting service. At the Unix shell prompt: >$ mysqladmin create props 3. Create a database user with limited permissions, for use by PROPS. Again, this may already be in place if you're using a virtual hosting provider. At the Unix shell prompt: >$ mysql databasename Once inside the MySQL command line tool: mysql> GRANT select, update, insert, delete, alter, create, drop ON databasename.* TO username@localhost IDENTIFIED BY 'password'; mysql> FLUSH PRIVILEGES; mysql> QUIT (replace databasename, username and password with the appropriate values) ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I assumed that items 2 and 3 were meant as instruction to someone who had to manually create a database. I just went into CPanel and created a database and user with password and privileges. =============================================================================== =============================================================================== 4. Populate the database with tables and data from the props-mysql.sql file: At the Unix shell prompt: mysql databasename < sql/props-mysql.sql (replace 'databasename' with the name of the database you created in step 2) ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Again, I assumed that this was just if you had to do it manually. I went into PhpMyAdmin and loaded the tables into the database I created in the previous step. =============================================================================== =============================================================================== 5. Copy public_html/config.default.php to your "props root" or "web root" directory and rename it to config.php. This is the main configuration file for the PROPS system. At a minimum, set the following variables: Publication Name Default Copyright DB Name DB Host DB User DB Pass There are other parameters in the config file - you can edit them now or later. The ones listed above are enough to get you started. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I had three problems with this item. 1.) This clearly states that the config.php file should be in the web root directory, but the comments at the top of the page in the config.php file state that the file should go in the non-public directory. I tried both ways but had no luck getting access to anything from the browser. 2.) It lists six items that need to have vaiables set. As I said, I have no experience coding PHP, but these items seemed pretty straight forward. I simply replaced the "filler" text on these lines with the real information. 3.) Once you are in the config.php file each line of code has a comment explaining what and how the code needs to be changed to point to the user's url, database, etc... Based on the install.txt instructions I did not initially change anything except the six items listed above. Most of the php was supposed to autodetect and I am not familiar with php so I figured that this would work. It didn't work, so I ended up going in and setting the full path for each item. That didn't work either. This was it for the basic installation instructions. The next line of instructions says that the user should now be able to pull up the administration screens in their web browser and starts going into how to update admin privileges, add users, change passwords, etc... The problem is that I haven't been able to access the admin screen. I'm not even sure I am trying to access it correctly. I tried www.mysite.com/admin.php and www.mysite.com/props. I've also tried using the complete path to the the admin.php file. So I guess my question is did I, before I went back in and started making independent changes to the config.php file, read and implement the instructions correctly? Am I missing something really obvious? This was supposed to be the easy to install cms, how much more difficult are all the others? Thank you for taking the time to help me with this.