Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account

Submitter

File Information

• Submitted: May 28 2009 11:25 AM
  • Last Updated: Jul 12 2017 02:00 AM
  • File Size: 438KB
  • Views: 2612760
  • Downloads: 1,302,385

Download TFC - Temp File Cleaner by OldTimer

* * * * - 11 Votes
oldtimer

Screenshots

TFC (Temp File Cleaner) will clear out all temp folders for all user accounts (temp, IE temp, java, FF, Opera, Chrome, Safari), including Administrator, All Users, LocalService, NetworkService, and any other accounts in the user folder. It also cleans out the %systemroot%\temp folder and checks for .tmp files in the %systemdrive% root folder, %systemroot%, and the system32 folder (both 32bit and 64bit on 64bit OSs). It shows the amount removed for each location found (in bytes) and the total removed (in MB). Before running it will stop Explorer and all other running apps. When finished, if a reboot is required the user must reboot to finish clearing any in-use temp files.

TFC only cleans temp folders. TFC will not clean URL history, prefetch, or cookies. Depending on how often someone cleans their temp folders, their system hardware, and how many accounts are present, it can take anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or more. TFC will completely clear all temp files where other temp file cleaners may fail. TFC requires a reboot immediately after running. Be sure to save any unsaved work before running TFC.

Please note TFC is not suitable for use on Windows 8.1 or 10

Donation Information:
TFC is 100% free. However, it is the result of significant investments of time and effort by OldTimer. If you find his tools helpful, and would like to support his efforts, please consider a donation. Since you can't buy him a cup of coffee, simply click the Paypal button below:

Posted Image

When I downloaded this file, and hit run, it would not run. It gave a message, "windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." That is strange, because I am in administrator when I did this. I have had this program before, and it worked perfectly. Since then I reformatted, and was going to redownload the program.
This is a great little tool, i have run it twice now 2 weeks apart each time running Ccleaner beforehand.
The first time it picked up another 27mb & today an extra 32mb that Ccleaner didn't pick up.

I disabled my resident protection before hand and right clicked on TFC selecting "Run as Admin." and had no problems.

I did find that it reset my Folder/View options back to the default settings each time which is not a problem i just thought i would mention it in case you were unaware.

Thanks again, Matai :o
Hello,

I have a problem, I ran this aftersaving it on my desktop and when the computer rebooted and came back up, all documents and files on my desktop are gone (including the wallpaper). Also I do not have anything in 'My documnets' anymore....both desktop and my documents are like they were when i bought the laptop....clean!!!

Please help me get my stuff back....Thanks
Photo
Antonio Afonso
Jun 30 2010 11:14 AM
Is it windows 2003 compatible?

This is a great little tool, i have run it twice now 2 weeks apart each time running Ccleaner beforehand.
The first time it picked up another 27mb & today an extra 32mb that Ccleaner didn't pick up.

I disabled my resident protection before hand and right clicked on TFC selecting "Run as Admin." and had no problems.

I did find that it reset my Folder/View options back to the default settings each time which is not a problem i just thought i would mention it in case you were unaware.

Thanks again, Matai :o

By default CCleaner only clean files older than 24 hours. This may be the reason for finding more temp files after using it. If you wish to clean all the temp files using CCleaner, go to Advance and uncheck the second line, "Only delete file in Windows Temp folder older than 24 hours."

Hello,

I have a problem, I ran this aftersaving it on my desktop and when the computer rebooted and came back up, all documents and files on my desktop are gone (including the wallpaper). Also I do not have anything in 'My documnets' anymore....both desktop and my documents are like they were when i bought the laptop....clean!!!

Please help me get my stuff back....Thanks

It is unfortunate the Administrators have decided not to respond to some questions.

Try Restoring back to a date or time before you cleaned your temp files and see if that helps. If you do not know how to restore, Google "Restore System in XP" (or whatever OS you are using, live Vista).
For some reason I keep getting the following error when attempting to run TFC. "TFC.exe not a Win32 application" I've downloaded it 3 times and keep getting the same error.
From what I've read, this might not the best app to use (at the beginning of the list) in preparing for a malware/spyware removal adventure. Any suggestions (excl CCleaner) regarding 'worthy' alternatives?

By default CCleaner only clean files older than 24 hours. This may be the reason for finding more temp files after using it. If you wish to clean all the temp files using CCleaner, go to Advance and uncheck the second line, "Only delete file in Windows Temp folder older than 24 hours."

Often, there is no way to completely clear temp files without rebooting. This is why TFC forces a reboot, and why it removes more than CC.

For some reason I keep getting the following error when attempting to run TFC. "TFC.exe not a Win32 application" I've downloaded it 3 times and keep getting the same error.

This is not a support topic. Most likely malware is interfering, possibly preventing any .exe file from running. You should start a new topic in our malware removal forum.

Other files you may be interested in ..

Random Files

18 user(s) are online (in the past 120 minutes)

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1), Facebook (6)

As Featured On:

Microsoft Yahoo BBC MSN PC Magazine Washington Post HP