Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account

Submitter

File Information

• Submitted: May 28 2009 11:25 AM
  • Last Updated: Jul 12 2017 02:00 AM
  • File Size: 438KB
  • Views: 2612716
  • Downloads: 1,302,364

Download TFC - Temp File Cleaner by OldTimer

* * * * - 11 Votes
oldtimer

Screenshots

TFC (Temp File Cleaner) will clear out all temp folders for all user accounts (temp, IE temp, java, FF, Opera, Chrome, Safari), including Administrator, All Users, LocalService, NetworkService, and any other accounts in the user folder. It also cleans out the %systemroot%\temp folder and checks for .tmp files in the %systemdrive% root folder, %systemroot%, and the system32 folder (both 32bit and 64bit on 64bit OSs). It shows the amount removed for each location found (in bytes) and the total removed (in MB). Before running it will stop Explorer and all other running apps. When finished, if a reboot is required the user must reboot to finish clearing any in-use temp files.

TFC only cleans temp folders. TFC will not clean URL history, prefetch, or cookies. Depending on how often someone cleans their temp folders, their system hardware, and how many accounts are present, it can take anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or more. TFC will completely clear all temp files where other temp file cleaners may fail. TFC requires a reboot immediately after running. Be sure to save any unsaved work before running TFC.

Please note TFC is not suitable for use on Windows 8.1 or 10

Donation Information:
TFC is 100% free. However, it is the result of significant investments of time and effort by OldTimer. If you find his tools helpful, and would like to support his efforts, please consider a donation. Since you can't buy him a cup of coffee, simply click the Paypal button below:

Posted Image

I'm searching the forums, and still haven't found any explanations as to why TFC would cause the PC to freeze during the reboot. I'm having to do a hard restart every time I use TFC now. What's the deal?

Been having the same problem....was able to use it after hard reset before all processes were loaded, but not anymore....no clue why...will try to shut down most processes and see if that works...but it's a pain...need to figure out why this happens
I tried TFC, but I found something annoying:
Here, it is the problem

After Cleaning with TFC and Rebooting my PC,
the Extensions for Known File Types (e.g. .txt, .doc etc.) are not visible!

It is like going to the Windows Explorer Menu: Tools >Folder Options>View
and checking the checkbox 'Hide extensions for know file types'
I made a Screen-Shot:
Posted Image

Still one of the better Temp File cleaners around - But -
Has any item ever been added so that a Log File, or at least a View of removed files can be seen, if there is a search done on a Windows7 SP1 computer ?
This would be good just to check if an important item was removed by accident, then you would know where to look .
I ran the Temp File Cleaner on my roommates laptop, running Windows XP, and it forced a reboot. It freed up about 3777MB. When the computer went to restart itself, it blue screened. I had to run a System Restore in order for the OS to come back up. Is this a unique situation, or did I do something wrong?
It would be helpful if you add the version number to the file name so we can better know if we hae the latest version.

Thanks.
I've always liked this software. When I used XP, I had no problems what so ever. However, now That I have tried it with Windows 7, I've had a few problems. The first time I tried to use it, right after it had cleared the User Folder, (before Public) 7 encountered a critical error and had to shut down.

After my machine re-booted, I checked around, and there seemed to be nothing wrong, so I decided to try and use it again, to see if it was a one time error. This time the program worked just fine. But, it said that W7 had to reboot (I expected this), but it hung at the "shutting down" screen for 40 minutes, before I gave up up and reset my machine.

I again checked everything and so far I have not found any errors, so far.

I would think this is not normal, so, is TFC compatible with Windows 7. Or is this just a bug?
WOW! TFC just deleted 103GB on my 223GB SSD. I've tried to remove or delete any unnecessary files on the drive, and had almost given up. I've even used the disk clean up function in windows, but it only found about 4 GB. I just hope everything works now :-). Thanks, so far.
Photo
TheRisingTied
Mar 04 2013 12:11 PM
First of all I would like to say that this is an excellent program and has helped so much in cleaning viruses from our computers, but I was wondering is there a way to script the TFC executable to run in a group policy to clear out all of the temp files on log on or log off / shutdown of a computer?
Photo
not_so_oldtimer
Dec 03 2013 03:53 PM
Hello, Long time user and huge fan of this program... I've noticed a persistent change for a while (few months at least) and I just wanted to see if it should be alarming... When I run TFC, the desktop no longer disappears, and TFC never prompts for a reboot, instead, the TFC window shows as not responding for maybe 10 seconds, then the clean finishes, and where it would normally always prompt to reboot, it just automatically opens the default explorer window... (libraries)
Nothing seems to make it "go back" to how it used to function, including uninstalling and reinstalling TFC, to a recovery partition windows reload, even a full disc wipe and .iso downloaded-from-microsoft clean windows install...
Should I be alarmed?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks either way!
ri
I've been a big fan of TFC for several years now. I use it exclusively on many customer cleanups and rarely have a problem. Every so often though it will not complete successfully and I'll find myself rebooting the pc to find that hidden files are still visible. I do understand how to resolve this problem, but was wondering why it happens every so often?

Also - I've never run this on any Windows Server O/S - do you recommend?

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you.

Other files you may be interested in ..

Random Files

23 user(s) are online (in the past 120 minutes)

0 members, 22 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)

As Featured On:

Microsoft Yahoo BBC MSN PC Magazine Washington Post HP