Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account

Submitter

File Information

• Submitted: Jul 12 2009 01:08 PM
  • Last Updated: Sep 21 2011 10:53 PM
  • File Size: 4.03MB
  • Views: 1641255
  • Downloads: 390,331

Download Combofix by sUBs

* * * * * 4 Votes (You voted 5)

Screenshots
Combofix is a malware removal tool created by sUBs.

Need help with Combofix? Free, expert help is available in our malware removal forum.

Ensure you have disabled all anti-virus and anti-malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix. Please, don't run Combofix unless under supervision of someone that knows how to use it.

You only need to deactivate antivirus applications with active protection. CCleaner, Malwarebytes (free version) and HijackThis will not interfere. Here are instructions for temporarily disabling active protection from AVG's site:

To disable the Resident Shield, please:open AVG User Interface
double-click on the Resident Shield
un-tick the option "Resident Shield active"
save the changes
Please do not forget to activate the Resident Shield again once you performed the tasks requiring its deactivation.

To Whoever made Combofix and those who host it for us to grab...

MANY BIG THANKS!

I had the random mystery music playing problem/virus with MSIE popping up with nasty ads and four different programs (two commercial!) couldn't get it fixed. Once ran and completed my computer is much better and seems a tad faster too.

Big thumbs up guys/gals,
Stu :o
Please help. I am running combo fix. Downloaded and renamed Combo-fix, as per instructions. It has been running the scan now for 1 hour and 30 minutes. It is still showing the same screen "scanning for infected files", it says "This typicaly doesn't take more than 10 minutes, However, scan times for badly infected machines may easily double. I have tried everything to get rid of a re-direct search virus/worm. Was hoping this would be the answer. Should it be taking this long? Should I start it over? Help.
Thank you, this cleared out the rootkit Housecall detected but failed to remove!
Salut.
Este f.f. bun.
Ma scapat iar de niste fisiere.
Multumesc celor care au creat acest program.
Sanatate.
Photo
BradSanJose
Oct 02 2010 11:53 AM
I've used ComboFix to successfully remove rootkit/MBR viruses from several computers, including Trojan.GEN which creates the false services.exe and smss.exe in the false /System Volume Information/Microsoft folder.

PROS:

* ComboFix is able to clean an infected system even when Norton fails miserably.

CONS:

* The installation process at one point presented me with an Error window which was untitled and had no text in it -- simply a button. I clicked on it and the process proceeded.
* The progress messages during virus removal initially seem to be frozen. There are long periods during which nothing updates, giving the user the impression that the program has failed. The creators of this program should realize that the frustration level of the user is most likely already very high at the time ComboFix is attempted. They should make an extra effort to present the user with clear and frequently-updated messages, with a delay of no more than 10 seconds between each message.
* In at least one instance, the downloaded ComboFix.exe would not run because the virus blocked it. I had to rename ComboFix to another filename. Why have the creators of ComboFix not taken this into account? All download sites for this program should be adjusted so that the downloaded file is given a random name to avoid this problem.
* For one system on which I ran ComboFix, all user interface messages were presented in Chinese. Why would it default to a language other than English if I did not request that?

Two questions for Symantec Staff in case you are reading:

* Why don't you get your act together and build something like ComboFix into your program instead of selling to the public a defective program like Norton Internet Security 2011? Even when an infected system is booted from your CD, NIS 2011 is still completely ineffective at removal.
* How is it possible that a rootkit/MBR virus can be put in place in the first place on a system that is protected by NIS 2011? How can you call a product "Internet Security" when going to a website and clicking on the wrong buttons will infect a system that is supposedly protected by your product?
Sometimes it is just impossible to download combofix from this site. Is there another mirror?
Currently there are two mirrors. You can always find the latest mirrors by reading the guide.
How awesome tool i like RAW tools they really work BiG thanks for this (i know this tool for 2 years never try to find the author to say thanks) :thumbsup:

Other files you may be interested in ..

• KpRm 2.8

By kernel-panik
    Jun 15 2019 06:40 AM

Random Files

9 user(s) are online (in the past 120 minutes)

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)

As Featured On:

Microsoft Yahoo BBC MSN PC Magazine Washington Post HP