Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to restart Help and Support Service on XP

• Please log in to reply

Leopard-Lady

Leopard-Lady

• Pip
  • 4 posts
All software on my computer now displays this error when I click on help:
"Cannot open the file: mk@MSITStore:C:\Program Files\program-name\help.chm"

screenshot:
Posted Image

In the Services list the Help and Support is set to automatic but is "stopped". When I try to start it I get the following error:
"Could not start the Help and Support Service on Local Computer. Error 126: The specified module could not be found"

I have re-registered the help center with windows (@run: helpctr -regserver) and this does not repair it.

I have applied several registry patches to restore Help and Support Service, and Help and Support Service Keys... to no avail. :)

I am not sure how this service was "stopped"... whether it was by, inadvertantly, manually stopping it or if a registry cleaning software (Registry Mechanic) disabled it. :tazz:

I am open to all suggestions. Please feel free to use finger puppets to explain the repair of this to my simple mind (lol). :)

Thank you,
LL

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace the system files, you need the XP CD.

Windows File Protection will show an on screen blue progress bar which will simply disappear when the scan is complete, reboot when it does

System File Checker gives an administrator the ability to scan all protected files to verify their versions. If System File Checker discovers that a protected file has been overwritten, it retrieves the correct version of the file from the cache folder %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

System File Checker also checks and repopulates the cache folder. You must be logged on as an administrator or as a member of the Administrators group to run System File Checker.

The System File Check is only concerned with replacing missing or corrupt system files, and does not affect installed software or data

Leopard-Lady

Leopard-Lady

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi Keith,
Thank you for your reply.

I followed the initial step that you indicated and did not see a progress bar, but instead a message flashed in a fraction of a second on the screen and disappeared. I tried a few times and got same thing.

Then I ran this from the "cmd" prompt so that I could read what the error is. Here is the error:

Windows File Protection could not initiate a scan of protected system files.
The specific error code is 0x000006ba [The RPC server is unavailable].

I checked in the Services control panel and the RPC server is set to automatic and is started.

What should I do now please?

Thank you for your assistance,
LL

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Testing

Leopard-Lady

Leopard-Lady

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
:tazz: waiting while you're "testing" ... lol

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This is what they say for 2000 and as it is NT based, it should apply to XP as far as this goes

http://support.micro...kb/296241/en-us

I managed to get the certificate by clicking file to get add / remove snap in, ran through the rest and the site won't let me add it in to the post :tazz:

If you have another PC with XP on you should be able to follw that to get the certificate

Leopard-Lady

Leopard-Lady

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi Keith,
I'm sorry for the slow response on this, I don't seem to have much "free time" lately to tackle this issue... so it's a hit and miss and I go at it when I can.

I went through the steps you last posted to obtain the certificates. I was able to add the certificate via the Add/Remove Snap-in option with no problem (actually one of the easiest things I've ever done along those lines - lol - wish everything else went that easy :blink: )

Anyway when I try to reinstate the Help Center by the sfc /scannow process I am still getting the same error as above:
Windows File Protection could not initiate a scan of protected system files.
The specific error code is 0x000006ba [The RPC server is unavailable].

The system has been rebooted several times since the reinstallation of the certificates and still this same error... grrrrr... I have also went through all of the services to make sure that all services related to the RPC server are enabled and started.

The computer is in a room on the second floor... I'm about ready to throw it out the window on to the concrete slab below :whistling:

I am thankful for your patience and replies Keith... any more ideas on this dilema please?

Thank you,
LL

Edited by Leopard-Lady, 26 March 2006 - 05:28 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Has the computer name stayed the same since installation

This problem occurs because of a mismatch in the computer name and the name that the RPC service expects. This mismatch may occur if the computer name is changed by using one of the following methods: • The Microsoft System Preparation (Sysprep) tool was used to create the Windows XP image that you used to start the computer.
• You change the computer name during the Windows XP Out of Box Experience.
• One or more of the following conditions are true:• You disconnect the network cable during the Windows XP Out of Box Experience.
• You do not restart the computer after the Windows XP Out of Box Experience has completed.
• You open Disk Management.

WORKAROUND
To work around this problem, restart the computer at least one time after the Windows XP Out of Box Experience has completed, and before you open Disk Management.

josephbrown012

josephbrown012

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Thanks for this post, i will try that.