Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reformatting Help

• Please log in to reply

scottie201

scottie201

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok heres the problem.
I have been trying to reformat my computer and and it never seems to work.
i get to the start up screen and boot from cd and it loads all the companents and what not, and then i click continue. After that it says it cannot continue because it does not detect a drive and make sure that it is plugged in properly. Well it is plugged in and i still have the problem.

if anybody has any suggestions on how i can fix this problem that would be great.

Edited by scottie201, 11 March 2006 - 01:56 PM.

Advertisements

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
is it a newer computer with SATA HD? If so you will need driver for your HD load first. the option to load this driver come after you hit F6, the machine will ask for it before it even load all other components drivers.
If it is older machine with standard ATA then you will need to check all the jumpers setting and conectors, You said you checked but there may be some bent pins or pushed in pins. And one thing you can try at the same time is manually have the mother board to detect for new drive and this could be related to you bios battery is dead causing every thing to reset in your bios, check the batterry too.

Edited by mcpscomp, 11 March 2006 - 06:38 PM.

silencer.dot

silencer.dot

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
sorry i didnt read the rules please delete this post.

Edited by silencer.dot, 11 March 2006 - 07:50 PM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Heres a article on installing on a sata drive.

http://xphelpandsupp...ows_xp_on_a.htm

SRX660

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
so it is SATA.??????

scottie201

scottie201

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
is there a way of finding out wheather or not it is SATA or not?

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
To HD you will need two set of wires. One for data and one for power. The power set only have four wires with normally white plug. the differrence is the data cable. If the data cable flat and look almost same as the cable from CD drive then it is ATA. SATA is smaller and look totally difference to the CD cable. alot of system come last year with SATA especially higher end system. Or put it this way, take the cable from CD drive and try to plug it in your HD( do not force it in ). If it NOT fit ( the plug is not the same) than it is SATA.

scottie201

scottie201

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok thanks a lot ill go check it out.