Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

3 versions of windows xp on my computer

• Please log in to reply

lacers5

lacers5

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hi!
I am having big problems with my pc. my boyfriend installed a windows xp pro onto my computer which already had xp home on it, without realizing he needed to activate it. i now have 2 versions of home and one version of pro on my pc, and none of them will run, i keep receiving a system shutdown notice by NT AUTHORITY SYSTEM. i really don't want to lose all of the data on my computer- and i don't have a clue as to what i should do!
(I have my original disks for xp home and the passwords)...if that helps at all.
Can anyone help me??!!

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi lacers5...

Hmmm...this sounds like a tricky one.... :tazz: Have you tried booting into Safe Mode to see if the original OS will boot up? If you can't boot into Safe Mode by tapping the F8 key during boot, See if you can run this REPAIR to your installation of XP. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can. Note: This option is not always available on OEM Recovery Cd's

Once this repair has completed, you will have to download all Windows Updates again.

If the repair works and you are then able to boot into the XP Home...we'll remove the XP Pro.

wannabe1

lacers5

lacers5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
ok...thanks! but if i do this will all of my files etc. be lost?

lacers5

lacers5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
oops....stupid question that you already answered!! sorry! ._.
anyway...i got windows to start up now...but how do i get rid of the extra window xp's that i have installed on here? and how do i know which ones to get rid of??
THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH!!
:tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
They should be. The repair will leave them intact...and you should be able to access any files created and saved using XP Home. If you have created and saved important files in the XP Pro installation...we'll see if we can recover them, but I don't know how successful we'll be.

The main thing at the moment is to get a viable operating system.

wannabe1

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Here's where the fun begins! :tazz:

Open "My Computer" and double click on the C: drive. How many windows folders do you see?

lacers5

lacers5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
only one..and a winnt

lacers5

lacers5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
by the way...i am using another computer for this, and spy falcon is also on my computer with 3 versions of windows.... :tazz:
the only way i can tell there are 2 other versions of windows is that on startup, my pc asks which one i want to use
(if any of this is any help.)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Is your XP installation an upgade from Win2000?

Open Control Panel and double click on "System". Under the "Advanced" tab, in the "Startup and Recovery" section, click on the "Settings" button. Click on the "Edit" button in the next window. A notepad document will open. Copy and Paste that information here for me.

lacers5

lacers5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /noexecute=optin

I am also having to do this on a seperate computer...the one i am having problems with will not display this website.......so i am sorry if it takes a few minutes! :tazz:

Advertisements

lacers5

lacers5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
i am sorry to add more...this guy really screwed my s@#^ up...but with the version of home xp that is running now, some of my files are already missing. is there any way i can retrieve them? :/

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Were these files created in the XP Pro? If so, we'll give that a shot in a little bit...

In the notepad document you have open, select and delete the two lines of text I have in red below. Click on "File" on the toolbar and select "Save". Reboot and it should boot directly to the XP Home installation.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /noexecute=optin

lacers5

lacers5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
no, they were actually created a long time ago...the version i am working off of now is a new installation (and so is the xp pro)...after he installed the pro he thought it was a good idea to install my home addition again. so the one i am working off of now does not have my old files (pictures, docs, etc.)
so....should i delete the 1st and the 3rd line off of the notepad? what do you think?

lacers5

lacers5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
....plus... the version i am working off of now has the whole spy falcon and spy sherrif on it. booooooo!!!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
We'll let the Malware Folks help you with the malware infection.... :tazz:

I think your two XP Home installations ended up in the same folder, but XP Pro installed to the WINNT folder.

For the moment, just delete the last line, and save it as suggested.

If you don't have any files saved in the XP Pro installation, open "My Computer" and double click on the C: drive, right click on WINNT, and choose delete. Accept the change.

Now reboot and when prompted for the installation to boot to, note which one you choose...the first on the list, or the second. Let me know which it is. (The option for XP Pro should no longer be in the list... :) )