Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Networking Laptop & PC

• Please log in to reply

laurdis

laurdis

• Pip
  • 6 posts
My husband has recently networked our pc's together...we still have a dial-up connection (I know, it's bad) but could anyone tell me if we can be on the net at the same time or not? Please help!

Advertisements

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Well, this is simple.

You can have both computers on the internet at once, but for the both to be on the net you need one computer on connected on dial up, for the other one to access it. If you follow these steps you should find that it will work:

For the PC connected to the internet:

Start > All Programs > Accessories > Communications > Network Setup Wizard...
Press next until you come to a screen reading
Select a Connection Method (Which then lists methods)
Choose the first option: This computer is connected directly to the internet. Other computers on the network connect to the internet through this computer. Follow the wizard, and when you get to the end press "Just finish the wizard".

For the PC NOT YET connected to the internet:

Start > All Programs > Accessories > Communications > Network Setup Wizard...

Follow above up to connection methods, except on this one, choose: This computer connects through a residential gateway or another computer on my network. Finish the wizard as you did above.

YOU >MAY< be prompted to restart, this is normal.

laurdis

laurdis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thank you very much for responding to my issue, I will try this & see if it works. Once again, thank you very much SuperSam...

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
No problem, please tell me the outcome.