Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE/Java/Javascript Problem

• Please log in to reply

Sean McC

Sean McC

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I have a problem with displaying pop-up windows in IE6. For instance; at http://news.bbc.co.uk, I can't access things like this:

Posted Image

I can't get access to the live scores from http://www.eurosport.co.uk either, or any similar pop-ups on websites. IE7 can't access it either. I have enabled scripts in IE but I think the problem is with IE itself.
I need to be sure I have all the Java stuff I need or alternatively I need know how to reinstall IE6 which I know there is no clear cut way to do.
Any help/suggestions would be welcome.

Advertisements

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
hey sean! ok i am a bit confused here.....are you asking how to get it to popup or how to get it to play. if its not poping up that is a popup blocker issue--but if its not playing that is another issue. try also downloading the latest window media player (i think we are up to version 10 now) and see if that helps. i am just a bit unsure.....is your problem they wont popup or they wont play?

thanks

Sean McC

Sean McC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi M.R. The issue is not with any pop-up blockers and WMP is running fine for me.
The BBC link is just an example. What happens is that when I click on something like that it either refuses to appear at all or only appears for a split second before disappearing. Now these work in Mozilla Firefox but I want it to work in IE. Scripts are enabled so I tend to think that the problem is with IE.

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
oh ok....i understand now!! :whistling: alright so lets go throught to normal stuff. please update IE and Windows Media Player, even if you have high versions get the lastes (as the bbc may be running differently) also this is probably not java related. please update and post back with the results.

thanks

Sean McC

Sean McC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Updates, you mean from Microsoft Update right?
I'm using IE7 Beta 2 Preview and the pop-ups still don't appear. I usually use IE6 (with the same issues). Would it be better to uninstall IE completely and then reinstall it?

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
you did have both Service Packs Before installing ie7, correct.....also i realy dont know how to work with ie7 to be honest with you......just out of curisity if you have another browser on your computer could you see fi you can get it to load with that one.....we need to fix IE we cant get around that i just want to isolate the problem....and yes i do mean microsoft updates, have you updated Windows Media Player yet?

Sean McC

Sean McC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Both service packs? Er... Well I have SP2 installed. Yes, the pop-ups work fine in Firefox, but I need them to work in IE. I'm about to update WMP now.

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
okily dokily :whistling:

Sean McC

Sean McC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
WMP 10 is installed. But the pop-ups still don't show :whistling:

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
grrrrr.....do you get any popups, even nonmedia ones?

Advertisements

Sean McC

Sean McC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
The bad kind? Actually no. But I think that's because I'm running on 7, let me roll back to 6 and I'll let you know.

Sean McC

Sean McC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
The regular type ad pop-ups appear for a flash then disappear, however I did get the ad pop-ups that are like regular windows but are resized so they are small.
Now the trouble is, I had tried to uninstall IE6 earlier, now it says I don't have it but I can still use it. And the IE6 set-up file refuses to work because it says I have a newer version :whistling:

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
ok we need to get rid of IE 7 and after that do the below:
Update IE:
Repair Internet Explorer 6

A number of XP users have reported situations with Internet Explorer 6 becoming corrupted and reporting a number of different errors. While there is certainly no guarantee, the two procedures listed below have restored functionality to IE6 for many users experiencing problems.

Note: Both methods listed require that the Microsoft Windows XP CD-ROM be available.

Method 1: Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x Repair for Windows XP

From the Start menu, select Run.
In the Open field, type sfc /scannow (Note: There is a space between sfc and /scannow)
Select the OK button.
Follow the prompts throughout the System File Checker process.
Reboot the computer when System File Checker completes.

Method 2: Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x Repair for Windows XP

From the Start menu, select Search, select All Files and Folders.
Select More Advanced Options and place a checkmark beside Search Hidden Files and Folders option.
Ensure that Search System Folders and Search Subfolders are also checked.
In the All or Part of the File Name box, type ie.inf
In the Look In drop-down menu, select C: or the letter of the hard drive that contains the Windows folder.
Click the Search button.
In the search results pane, find the ie.inf file located in Windows\Inf folder.
Right click the ie.inf file and click Install on the context menu.
Reboot the computer when the file copy process is complete.

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 318378 How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP

Sean McC

Sean McC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I have done both. No luck. Through I got continuous prompts to use an SP2 CD but I don't have one. I installed it from Windows Update.
For the record I have JS2E Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 6. Maybe I'm missing something.

Edit: Strangely enough, the problem seems to have been fixed.
I downloaded Windows Script 5.6 but it didn't help. I put my computer only on stand-by while I went to sleep. When I woke, I decided to try the sites where I couldn't get the Javascript pop-ups. To my amazement, IT WORKED! I rebooted to see if this was for real, it was.
Sadly I'm not sure what the correct way was to help cure this problem but it's a great relief to not have to put up with the problem any more. Thank you.

Edited by Sean McC, 04 April 2006 - 02:32 PM.

PhalanX

PhalanX

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Greetings from Australia...

A few days ago I installed IE7 Beta on my laptop, I obviously wasn't thinking properly at the time (probably fuelled by these 2am+ times I'm going to bed lately :whistling:) and I thought it would install separately to ie 6 but of course it overwrote it and I realised this and immediately uninstalled it, because I need ie 6 for a project I am currently doing...

Then when I restarted internet explorer was completely rooted, it wouldn't work at all, I just kept getting blank screens and an error because it couldn't find ieframe.dll (a ie 7 dll)... After about 3 hours of messing around I eventually got ie 6 to work again... But its a little funny, If I go to tools -> internet options I get the "cannot show this dialogue due to restrictions in effect on this comptuer" which there aren't any... but I dont care about that, the real problem I have is the same one described above, ANY popup window, be it javascript induced, or from msn messenger or even a target="_blank" doesn't load, and occasionally it flashes for a split second then disappears. This is really bad because it is crucial that I have popup windows and ie 6 for the project I am currently working on...

to make it worse I can't afford to reinstall windows because I have software installed on there that I don't have the cds since they were installed while I was on the other side of the country (at the company I work for over there) and I'm not going back over any time soon...

I have tried the sfc /scanow multiple times, as well as the ie.inf thing

I just tried installing windows script 5.6 but it wouldn't install because it "this older version of the browser isn't supported"... I have ie 6.0029

Any suggestions?

Thanks

p.s. sorry if my typing is poor its like 1.30 am and i am dead tired :blink: