Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

my "alt ctrl delete" thing is MESSED UP, and PAINT disappear

• Please log in to reply

Shimmer

Shimmer

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Paint all the sudden disappeared one day out of my computer and its nowhere to be found. I dont know where to download microsoft paint back again...and its very important for posting screenshots quickly..

also...my "alt ctrl delete" function is messed up.. it use to have a bunch of functions on top, but now the whole top disappeared and even when i restart my computer its the same!

here is a screenshot!

http://smg.photobuck...urrent=help.jpg

what can i do? please help me!

Advertisements

rmco2003

rmco2003

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
To get your options back on the task manager just double click on the thick grey border outside the box that lists the processes, I'm not sure about the paint thing though.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace the system files, you need the XP CD.

Windows File Protection will show an on screen blue progress bar which will simply disappear when the scan is complete, reboot when it does

System File Checker gives an administrator the ability to scan all protected files to verify their versions. If System File Checker discovers that a protected file has been overwritten, it retrieves the correct version of the file from the cache folder %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

System File Checker also checks and repopulates the cache folder. You must be logged on as an administrator or as a member of the Administrators group to run System File Checker.

The System File Check is only concerned with replacing missing or corrupt system files, and does not affect installed software or data

If you do not have an XP CD then you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

Have a look at Paint.Net from my signature as an alternative to mspaint

You need .net framework 1.1 up to version 2.5 and .net framework 2.0 for version 2.6

Screenshot Captor from my signature has good options for posting screenshots

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Do you have a custom XP theme, that is not official? Sometimes that causes it, though I don't know a fix.

Shimmer

Shimmer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
i lost my xp cd, what can i do?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you do not have an XP CD then you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD