Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Process SYSTEM Brings CPU Usage to 100%, Making Machine Unusably Slugg

• Please log in to reply

Burnt Norton

Burnt Norton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Sorry for the delay. I saved the Filemon run, but, I guess because of things we've been disabling, I can't get the internet, the CD-ROM drive, or the memory stick to work on the box. I'm going to enable some stuff and send it over.

In the process of enabling, I see that a file called ctfmon at HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run has a check mark beside it in Startup. As it was when I had that EZ file, the "Load Startup Items" has a gray check next to it while in Selective Startup mode.

Advertisements

Burnt Norton

Burnt Norton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Here it is!

Attached Files

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
do you have this in your processes MSMPEng.exe just asking

Burnt Norton

Burnt Norton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
No MSMPEng.exe in process.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Ahh, nothing catches my eye.

Getting close to our last resort. Do you have an XP CD, incase we get there?

Go back into msconfig and select normal startup that way all your programs are back, and all your equipment will be working again.

Now do a Windows Update. Restart after updating. After completely updating, if you still have the issue, try this: Use Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, and remove KB35732. You may have to check the Show Updates box at the top of Add/Remove Programs.

Let me know how it goes.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 04 September 2006 - 03:22 PM.

Burnt Norton

Burnt Norton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
I'm the guy with the Compaq XP Pro laptop disk. I lost my Dell XP Pro disk. We discovered that the drivers etc. seem to all be on another compaq disk and that the other Compaq disk is apparently all XP Pro.

I'll remove the KB program when I get home tonight. Thanks!

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
Select Start-->Control Panel-->system-->advanced-->performance-->settings-->performance options advanced-->virtual memory-->change
-->select no paging file and reboot.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
look in your task manger and see how much cpu usage SVCHOST.EXE

c:\windows\system32\SVCHOST.EXE is a VERY important file required for the proper operation of your Windows. Some of the links already pasted will give you details on why it is so critical. Now if you have a file with the same name 'SVCHOST.EXE' in a DIFFERENT FOLDER, any other folder apart from system32, THEN and ONLY THEN could it be a cause for concern. So just run a file search on the file on all drives including all system and hidden folders, and if you find any instances of this file in any folder other than windows\system32, then delete it immidiately.

have computerwiz look this over...................heres the link

http://www.anti-spy....vchost.exe.html

theres always a possibilty that a viris maybe over looked

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts

Select Start-->Control Panel-->system-->advanced-->performance-->settings-->performance options advanced-->virtual memory-->change
-->select no paging file and reboot.

I doubt it's a page file issue, but it can't hurt to try.

And as for the SVCHOST.EXE thing, is seriously doubt it is that.

Let us know what the situation is after removing that update, and trying rushin1nd's suggestion.

Burnt Norton

Burnt Norton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
My windows update was current, but I rebooted anyway. KB35732 is not on the list when the add/remove list is populated, though I have many KB files.

I did the Select Start-->Control Panel-->system-->advanced-->performance-->settings-->performance options advanced-->virtual memory-->change
-->select no paging file and reboot, and no change.

SVCHOST.EXE is taking up no CPU usage. SYSTEM continues to take up almost 100%.

I have the following files and folders with SVCHOST.EXE in it:

C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$\svchost
C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\SVCHOST.EXE-3530F672.pf
C:\WINDOWS\sstem32\SVCHOST
C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\1386

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
The last thing we can do...before you HAVE to call Dell and order a Dell XP Pro restore CD, is this:

Go into Add/Remove programs. Remove all your updates...one by one. Reboot when they are all removed.

Let's see what happens. If no joy...call Dell and order a replacement CD. If they are like HP, they should offer one for about $20.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
can you try a couple of things before you reformatt

1--disable this or delete this spoolsv.exe

go to your control panel and look for printers particualy microsoft document image writer if its there delete it or check it maybe you have some documents in queque but it should just be disable or deleted...who knows maybe it trying to connect after all there are other users on your computer.....if you have other printer hooked up or installed disable that one to just for the same reason ..............

botton line what im trying to say is its possible your spools are running and its causing your high cpu usage

disabling them or deleting them its not gonna hurt to check

2--im not much of a google search bar fan so uninstall it from your computer ...you may not have a updated version..but i hear and know it causes problems .......

3--i dont know if anyone has ever mentioned this but out of all your programs you have ..do you need them all you should delete the ones you dont need keep the ones you use ---minus google tool bar...guess what im getting at is maybe you got too much of everything on your computer varieties of protection programs and office programs ... all in all could be creating conflict with your computer at some point creating the high cpu usage... well thats all i have to say i wish you luck

Edited by rushin1nd, 05 September 2006 - 10:37 PM.

Burnt Norton

Burnt Norton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
When I go to delete the updates, it says that deleting them is likely to make most of my programs run wrong.

What if I just ordered the Dell restore CD for XP Pro? Is there a way to use that CD so it wouldn't erase the programs I have on the hard drive? It takes forever to load the software, and one program I paid for and downloaded is out of business with no available software.

Thanks!

Meanwhile, I'll try rushin1nd's suggestions. (I got rid of google desktop a while ago in this process...)

Burnt Norton

Burnt Norton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
I called Dell but they won't send me a replacement CD because it was a gift from a friend who was given it by the corporation he worked for after they replaced their computers. I have all of the Windows lincensing info for it, but they can't match the sereal number with anyone. (I told them that he might have gotten it from work.)

Do you think I can use the Compaq XP Pro CD? It seems to have just Windows on it; the drivers etc. are on a separate disk.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
have you checked microsoft image printer

see if anything is in queque or if spools are running