Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

3rd PARTY CD WILL NOT RE-INSTALL

• Please log in to reply

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
This has to be the oddest problem that I have faced for a while...it defies my logic :)

I have a Broderbund CD ..." Click Art." I must have loaded it 20+ times, over the years ...the latest, only a few months ago...no problem.

Recently, I had to do some disk maintenance which caused the expected loss of a lot of 3rd party software ...no big deal ...I'm used to it, ...have lots of back up disks...and I have never had too much trouble reinstalling things...

All went smoothly, until I came to this particular CD.

1. Checked CD for any discernable anomolies...none
2. Inserted CD
3. computer acknowledged it and began its cycle of happily revving along...
4. the Install popup appeard as usual...
5. hit install...
6. and waited, ...and waited, and waited...

That's as far as it went :help:

6. repeated the process three times...
7. checked the compatibility settings, no problems...
8. tried again
9. same thing

:whistling:

10. checked hardware settings
11. "how to treat any given CD when inserted in drive bay?" ...always told to ignore, and proceed, no action ticked off as to be the default reaction ...never proved to be a problem in the past
12. copied whole CD to its own folder on c:\
13. repeated process
14. did not help, same response
15. double checked CD surface...nothing out of the ordinary
16. will run CD file recovery software as soon as I hear from the "geeks"
17. will attempt whatever suggestions they put forward first though...

:blink:

This should not be happening :woot:

P.S. ...no discernable problems with the computer on any level of functioning...

Any ideas? :woot:

Edited by b1caez01, 06 September 2006 - 11:18 AM.

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hello b1caez01!

I must have loaded it 20+ times, over the years ...the latest, only a few months ago...no problem.

It may be wear and tear of the CD that is preventing you from installing. Let's find out, shall we?

To see if the CD is damaged, Download Nero CD-DVD Speed. After you download it, unzip it to your desktop. No installation is necessary, just double-click on it and it will start. Here's how to use it:

1. Put CD into the drive.

2. At the top, click on Extra > Scan Disk.

3. At the bottom, check the box next to Surface Scan. Click on Start

4. When it is finished, click on Save and save the results to a location you can easily find. Attach those results in a reply to me.

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
The CD is apparently spotless. I did a scan of it and not one sector was damaged...or one byte out of place. I use "Any Reader" from www. anyreader.com

I'll check your suggestion out...it is running now...

O.k., it stopped on an error..."Error! NO ADDITOINAL SENSE INFORMATION (000000)" In the reporting field below, "[17:40:34] Starting Transfer Rate Test"

Now, what...

Ooops...I now see that your message was from this morning, so I shall experiment with the program some more.

Another ooopsie...I did not read your instructions carefully... Will get back to your after I have fully sorted out how to use this critter :whistling:

Edited by b1caez01, 06 September 2006 - 03:52 PM.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
:blink: ok. I await the results from Nero's scan. :whistling:

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
There were errors...it could not read a portion of the disc, although no damage was reported.

I cleaned the lens with a Maxell disk that I have.

I copied all files [it read them all-no reports of corruption] to my hard drive...and attempted to load it from there...nada...now this is the most telling of behaviours...

I tried the disk again in the drive...nada...

I, again, eyeballed the CD with a flashlight, and save for some miniscule scratches, nothing denoted a damaged disk...I've loaded programs from worse disks...

Tried again, nothing...the Install pop up pops up, I hit Install, and it dies, or at least, does not resond, although it makes an attempt...it's as if it just runs out of steam, or it cannot find what it is looking for...

I checked the ini file and tracked down the files it was searching for...they are there, and unharmed...

Danged if I know what the problem is, even when it won't load from the hard drive...

Edited by b1caez01, 06 September 2006 - 05:29 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you click start, run, type msconfig and press enter, click start up, click disable all, click apply and reboot

See if the CD reacts any differently

Click start, run, type msconfig then press enter, put the dot in normal start up, click apply and reboot

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Let's try a more direct approach, find out exactly what files are damaged, if any at all.

Download CD Check

Run it to install it. Once installed, open it. Click on the CD drive with your CD in it. Now, at the top, click on Check

When it is done scanning the CD, click on Save (towards the bottom) and save the report. Please attach that report in your reply to me, so I can determine if the CD is in fact unreadable or if we may be able to work around it.

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
My aplogies to Keith :blink: I scrolled right past his reply.

When I went back and tried it...all worked flawlessly :whistling:

...so what gives?

Which command was the culprit? :help:

Edited by b1caez01, 06 September 2006 - 05:46 PM.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts

Which command was the culprit?

I don't know what command(s) you are talking about, but it looks like the CD just needed a good cleaning. :whistling:

If I were you, I'd make a backup copy of it. (which is perfectly legal since you own the original)

Let us know if you need anything else or have any further questions. :blink:

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
I was referring to the Start up commands that were disabled...the only ones that I can see that are inherent to the system are: MSASCui from Windows Defender, not loaded before...and ctfmon, which is always there...

This gives me a clue...Windows Defender...mmmmm?

P.S. ...does each tick mark in each of the tabs not refer to a boot command?

Edited by b1caez01, 06 September 2006 - 05:56 PM.

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
so in MSCONFIG, MSASCui which belongs to Windows Defender was disabled?

And you enabled it and restarted?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I have Adobe Elements, if I install it soon after installing XP it runs, if I forget and install when everything else is on, it won't install unless I disable all and run it??

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
"Can you click start, run, type msconfig and press enter, click start up, click disable all, click apply and reboot... See if the CD reacts any differently...Click start, run, type msconfig then press enter, put the dot in normal start up, click apply and reboot"

No, I disabled everything as told. Rebooted. A pop up occured as a bit of a warning that the config had changed.

I closed that, and went about loading the program.

I then went back into the msconfig files and reconfiged it to start normally again. But, while there, I checked the startup tab and noted which progs were noted there...and noted same...

I'm getting confused...you're dealing with an oldie but a goodie here...

Edited by b1caez01, 06 September 2006 - 06:09 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
So you have the programme installed and have reset it to normal start up and it runs properly?

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Yes. I just rebooted to make double sure that all was well, as far as the system starting up was concerned. :whistling:

Many grateful thanks.

But, I am still mystified as to which command, operation, of whatever, noted on the msconfig tabs, may have caused the problem. I am obsessive about understanding such things. :blink: