Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer shuts down when in standby

• Please log in to reply

diggeryo

diggeryo

• PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
First, I'd like to state that I'm not sure if this is a hardware or a software problem.

My system specs: I have an AMD Athlon XP 3000 2.1GHz 512K 400MHz, 1 Gig of RAM, and 3 Hard Drives installed (an 80 Gig SATA that is my main, a 160 Gig, and a third Hard Drive that I don't know the specs on--the only reason I have it in there is because, long story short, Windows doesn't have certain problems when I have three Hard Drives installed instead of two--but that's not the issue here).

I am running Windows XP Professional with SP2 and every latest update installed.

Now my issue: For the past couple of years, whenever I go to bed, I would put my computer in Standby mode. When I woke up, all I would have to do is hit the enter key on my keyboard, and within 5 seconds or so, my desktop would appear.

Beginning two days ago, whenever I hit the enter key to turn it back on from Standyby mode, the fan spins and the power comes on for less than a second, then everything shuts down. Hitting the power button on the front of my computer does not turn it on. The only way to get the computer running again (and this is the weird part) is if I perform the following two steps: I have to unplug the power cord from the back of the computer, plug it back in, then turn the power switch in the back of the computer off and on (the switch that has a line on one end and circle on the other). Once I do that, if I hit the power button on the front of my computer, it boots up as normal.

I haven't installed any new programs or made any hardware changes lately. The only change I made recently was I changed a setting under BIOS that controlled how my fans work, because my system was getting a little too hot. My fans now come on more frequently, and my system doesn't get so hot anymore. But I don't see what that has to do with Standby mode.

Any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated...

thanks,
mike.

**UPDATE**

I just put my computer in Standby, waiting 10 seconds or so, and hit the enter key to start back up, and it came up without a problem.

So it seems this problem isn't happening every time I put the computer in Standby--perhaps only when the computer has been in Standby for a longer period of time, like overnight??

thanks,
mike.

***ANOTHER UPDATE***

Over this past weekend, after my computer was in Standby overnight, the problem didn't happen when I would attempt to start back up...it work as it should. Then the last two morning, the problem happened again. This doesn't seem to follow any rhyme or reason, so I don't know what could be causing it.

**UPDATE**

Standby doesn't seem to be the issue. Now the problem is happening whenever the computer is completely powered down and I turn it back on. I have to go through the same steps I described in the above post to get it to work, sometimes 2 or 3 times.

And when it does start to power on, I now get in message:

"Overclocking or Memory Initial failed! Please re-configure your system.
Press F1 to run Setup
Press F2 to load default values and continue"

If I press F1 to go into setup and then save it without making any changes, it will boot up normally.

After realizing this wasn't Standby problem, I thought this might be some sort of hardware issue (power supply, battery, etc.). But the more I think about it, the more I'm thinking it has to be some sort of setting or something in BIOS.--because, as of yet, my computer hasn't just shut off when I was in Windows. The problem only occurs upon powering up. Once it's already powered up, it seems fine (so far).

Please help!! This problem is driving me crazy.

thanks,
mike.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
if you are running the CPU at the stock speed (ie not overclocked) I would be inclined to suspect either the PSU or one of the RAM modules.