Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Linux wont install!

• Please log in to reply

theBoar

theBoar

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hello,
I recently downloaded Deamlinux 2.0 XGL from the Dreamlinux website. I burnt the ISO and booted from the disc when my computer restarted. At this point the software loaded and tried to run, then I started received a whole bunch of error messages and I was unable to continue (A lot of the messages had to do with not being able to find certain files). A friend of my gave me a couple of linux iso's to try out as well, but i had the same problem with those disc, the software would load and i would be given error messages and i could not continue. I dont think the problem is with the software itself, i think its my computer. What could the problem be? Is it perhaps my AntiVirus program (Bitdefender)? Should I uninstall it before continuing?
:whistling:

Advertisements

Listerofsmeg

Listerofsmeg

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
hi,

Some times ISO files get go funny when downloading. Also the program you are burning with may be your prob!

theBoar

theBoar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
What do you recommend then. Should I try downloading Dreamlinux again? This doesn't explain why I'm having the same problems with the discs that my friend gave me.

Listerofsmeg

Listerofsmeg

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
well, your hard disk may need to be reformatted in NTST (whatever)

One or two luinx dis. only use NTST (Whatever)

theBoar

theBoar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
I'm affraid i'm not sure what u meant by your last reply. My hard disk is in NTSC (is that what u mean by NTST).

theBoar

theBoar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
I still havn't figured out the problem guys. I've tried redownloading Dreamlinux and burning the iso, but when i boot the disc I receive a bunch of errors, mostly files that could not be found. I would list those file but there are so many. What should i do?

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Try using the CD that you made on another machine to see if the CD is ok, or if there is a problem with it. There is also often a checksum option to confirm that the CD is correct, but I have seen that pass, but still have a problem with the CD.

The filesystem on Windoze is NTFS, fyi.

HandiComp

HandiComp

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
It sounds like you are sticking the Cd in the drive of a booted windows machine. This is not cool. The first thing to do is set your Boot Order to hit the CD before the HDD. Then, with the CD in place, reboot the system. If the CD doesn't boot, you might want to use a live CD version just to make sure your system will run it. Then insert the installation CD, reboot, and go to work.

If you have never used Linux before, I suggest going with one of the more popular 'distros' first. SUSE Enterprise Desktop 10.1 had a rather rocky start on a couple of items but is now Gold so try that one out. Fedora Core 5 is another good choice. Debian is good from the viewpoint of the install will run from the internet after installing the first CD.

You could easily setup a dual boot environment if you had to, but it isn't easy to understand. Go forward slowly, take your time, answer all questions asked, and it should go easily.