Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Recording Streaming Audio thru PC's Soundcard

• Please log in to reply

scottportraits

scottportraits

• PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Nov 19, 2006 8pm Est

Hello Technicians,

I used to be able to record streaming audio through WMPlayer in my old PC (with the SOUNDMAN audio card) and make an instant MP3 file onto Nero WaveEditor Ultra 6. I had it down, man.....and did it all the time. Nero WaveEditor 6 recognized the source card and recorded it as "stereo mix".

I recently moved to a new PC with a Realtek High Definition Audio card and upgraded to Nero Ultra 7. The specs for this audio card are:
Audio Driver Ver. - 5.10.00.5233
DirectX ver. - DirectX 9.0c
Audio Controller - HD Audio
Audio Codec - ALC 861

The old Nero 6 WaveEditor app had "Stereo Mix" as the only input option, and that was the one that worked.

The Audio > Record drop-down on the new Nero 7 WaveEditor has four choices: 1.)CD Player, 2.) Microphone, 3.) Front Mic, and 4.)Line In. I generally have chosen "Line In".

None work. I've been tinkering around with this now for hours and tried config's with WMPlayer11, Nero WaveEditor 7, and the Realtek HD Audio Manager . Nothing seems to work like it used to. I've tried a few apps to record streaming audio, like Audacity, Mp3MyMp3, etc but none of them seem to work...

The Realtek audio output choices are: Wave, SW Synth, Front, CD Volume, Line Volume, and Mic Volume. (I've tried 'em all, but generally test with Line Volume.
The Realtek audio input choices are the same as displayed in Nero WaveEditor 7, and the WMPlayer....they recognize CD Player, Mic, Front Mic, and Line In.

But I can't seem to record streaming audio off the internet, like I did before in the old PC (with the Soundman audio card). So I am beginning to wonder...did the manufacturer or someone disable these PC soundcards to prevent recording streaming audio from live audio broadcasts ???

Did they make it so you just can't do this ?

It used to work and I did it all the time before.......

Did the manufacturers make this audio card so that it can't record live streaming audio ???

This is the Q!

- :whistling: scottportraits :blink:

Advertisements

oldalgore

oldalgore

• Pip
  • 3 posts
ok scottportraits
i have a real goody for you,FIREWALL SETTINGS,alot of the time ,as i have found, it is your firewall settings not allowing you too d/l screaming videos,
also have you updated your audio drivers
sounds like :whistling: youve updated your system?

scottportraits

scottportraits

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
Nov 21 11:30pm est

Well, I have been using Windows XP Firewall, and it allows exceptions for programs and port numbers.....
I added Nero WaveEditor, but my Mozilla Browser and Windows Media Player were already listed as exceptions...are there any other apps that need to be on the list of exceptions ??? Under the Advanced tab there are several services, like FTP server, and e-mail protocols (IMAP, SMTP, POP3) and none are checked on this list.

....is there a good site to find updated audio drivers? Went to Realtek site and am downloading 25MB zip file for audio codec driver....but not sure if it is the right one...
...so I am downloading 3 other drivers that seem to fit the bill and apply to my situation, from various Googled sources....guess I can try 'em all one-by-one.

Just want my sound card to record streaming audio through WMPlayer11, and create the file in Nero WaveEditor.

It used to be soooo easy. Why the hassles now? Is the 'establishment' against us recording streaming audio for copyright reasons???

- scottportraits

Working from 'Device Manager' I find the 'update driver' button usually says the driver you already have is the most recent....