Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD drive problem

• Please log in to reply

dllp117

dllp117

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
I recently upgraded my computers case, cpu, and motherboard, and today i finished putting it all togather. only one problem. when i start up my computer, an error message will appear reading
Primary Master Drive <SATA device not found>
Secondary Master Driive <SATA device not found>
when i enter system setup, the computer recognizes the cd drive (primary slave) and the hardrive (secondary master) but not my dvd drive (primary master) of course, i would love any help/pointers/tips on how i may be able to fix this problem, as i am not able to use my new computer. thanks in advance for any help!

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts

I recently upgraded my computers case, cpu, and motherboard, and today i finished putting it all togather. only one problem. when i start up my computer, an error message will appear reading
Primary Master Drive <SATA device not found>
Secondary Master Driive <SATA device not found>
when i enter system setup, the computer recognizes the cd drive (primary slave) and the hardrive (secondary master) but not my dvd drive (primary master) of course, i would love any help/pointers/tips on how i may be able to fix this problem, as i am not able to use my new computer. thanks in advance for any help!

DVD drive cannot be primary master. That should be your system boot drive (hard disk). Are you sure you connected all the drives up properly?

RegorTheGreat

RegorTheGreat

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
check the bios for the SATA/IDE configuration. You may want to disable SATA controller if you have no SATA devices. Make sure the jumpers are set correctly for master and slave on each controller.

dllp117

dllp117

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
i'll try to disable the SATA controller... when I tried switching up the way I had my drives plugged into the IDE slots, my computer finally recognized all my drives (hard, cd/rw, and dvd drives) but then it would show up with another message, this time from windows (my os is xp) and it asked me to choose to start windows in Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, Last Known Configuration That Worked, or to start Windows Normally. i have expirienced this message before on my old computer, i'd always select start windows normally. however, when I select any of the options, the screen goes dark, then the monitor shuts down. then it turns back on a few seconds later, and repeats the whole process. i do not know why it is doind this...it might be because i'm using my old hard drive, which has windows xp on it, but thats just a guess... thanks again for all the help. hopefully i can get it running correctly.

RegorTheGreat

RegorTheGreat

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
You are probably getting that screen asking about safe mode, last good know config, etc. because you started to load windows, or the computer, and restarted or turned off without a successful load of windows. It shows that because it thinks theres a boot problem and is giving you more options for troubleshooting purposes. If you purposely turned off the computer or restarted before letting it get completely into windows, just choose to boot normally and you should be fine.

dllp117

dllp117

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
i've tried that and all the other options, and like i said in my last post, the screen would go black, then turn off for a few seconds, then it would turn back on and do everything over again. i'm thinking of taking it to my neighborhood computer repairshop, but i would rather fix it myself, since it seems expensive to pay for something that can probably be fixed by rearranging the driver cords or changing the bios.