Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue Screen of Death(BSOD) problem

• Please log in to reply

hammy503

hammy503

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Ok 1st of all i am sorry that i can't post what i recieved on the BSOD error. So this is my story. I had my computer on, and i went to sleep, i woke up and looked at my monitor that i had a BSOD error. As i was about to write down the problem, the computer restarted itself. So from there on i didn't know what to do. My problem was that When i restarted my computer again, it said "Please select a proper boot device and press any key to get into windows" I kept restarting nothing worked. So i booted windows with SAFEMODE, and restarted once again to get into bios and Changed my 1ST boot device to CDROM. The problem is now that my computer has gotten extremely slow as if some programs take forever to load. And the main thing is that my computer takes about 5minutes to boot. The Windows screen that has the Windows Logo just stays there for about 7 minutes and takes forever to boot. Then when i get into my computer, my programs, my games, and everything else loads slow. Another thing is that I try to watch video files, they skip every second, and the audio keeps playing, it doesn't fast forward it just glitches/skips. Also my mouse ---> if i try to move it around, it glitches and freezes for a split second on my desktop or if i am browsing net that happens. If i completely shake the mouse constantly or move it on my screen it just skips. I don't understand what the problem is...i wish i had time to jot down the problem the BSOD gave me, but if u can please please please help me that would be great.

3 problems i am getting.

Booting takes forever.
Video Files are constantly skipping.
Also mouse is glitched and skips too.

Advertisements

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
Right click My Computer then select Properties. Under the Hardware tab click the Device Manager button. See if there are any warning signs and list them if there is. This could be graphics or memory related.

hammy503

hammy503

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
i see the Yellow Warnings now. They are on "Other Devices" One is on ... Raid Controller and other is on Unknown device. I double click raid controller and it says "The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28) To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver. And when i click on Unknown device it says the same thing. I tried to update Drivers, it doesn't let me. It says "Cannot install this hardware"

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
Is your computer custom built or an OEM such as a Dell, HP/Compaq or etc.? If OEM what brand and model? If custom built list the hardware.

It may help to download and install Everest. With it opened click on the + next to Computer at the left then click on Summary. Right click anywhere in the right window and click Copy All. Paste that into your next reply.

hammy503

hammy503

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Its a Custom built. Specs:

Windows XP Pro

Motherboard Asus K8v MX series 754 socket

Dual Memory Ports = 1gig and 512mb so 1.5gb of RAM

AMD Athlon 64 processor 3400+ 2.2ghz

250 GB hard-drive

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
SATA or PATA hard drive?

hammy503

hammy503

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
SATA hard drive

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
The RAID driver issue is for your SATA drive. You need to install the SATA/RAID drivers for your setup. I would also check the SATA cable. Some are cheaply built and don't plug in firmly.

hammy503

hammy503

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
where can i download that from? Can you link me?

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
Drivers for your motherboard would be on the motherboard CD that came with it or from the manufacturers site (ASUS support site sucks).

Here's what I found for your motherboard.

K8V-MX User's Manual for English Edition (E2335)
http://dlsvr01.asus....35_K8V-MX_h.pdf

VIA RAID Driver V2.0.950.430 for Windows 98SE/Me/NT/2000/XP/2003 including 64-bit Windows.
http://dlsvr01.asus....K8V-MX/RAID.zip

VIA 4-in-1 Driver V1.00 for Windows 98SE/Me/2000/NT/XP/2003 (Chipset drivers)
http://dlsvr01.asus....K8V-MX/4in1.zip

K8V-MX VGA Driver V4.14.10.0057 for Windows 2000/XP (Onboard video)
http://dlsvr01.asus....8V-MX/2K_XP.zip

K8V-MX LAN Driver V3.9 for Windows 98SE/Me/2000/XP (Onboard Ethernet)
http://dlsvr01.asus..../K8V-MX/LAN.zip

SoundMax Audio Driver V5.12.01.5150 for Windows 98SE/Me/2000/XP/2003
http://dlsvr01.asus....AX512015150.zip

hammy503

hammy503

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
How do i install them?

hammy503

hammy503

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Ok i didn't know how to install the drivers from the links, so i just installed them from my original BIOS cd. Now i don't see those Yellow warning signs on anything. I checked that the SCI/RAID drivers are installed. But the problem still exists. My computer boots very slow, still choppy video files, and cpu usage is very high.

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
Open the Task Manager and see what is using the CPU the most.

hammy503

hammy503

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
well World of Warcraft the game i am trying to play. But there are other games that work fine and i don't have 100 percent cpu usage.