Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No hibernation/stand by option

• Please log in to reply

Icculus

Icculus

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
I have a Toshiba Satelite M55-S325 and recently got it serviced.

The problems with my laptop before were very extreme and required more than one motherboard replacement and like 3 or 4 memory replacements, and since I got it back from all this stuff, this problem has occurred.

My computer used to go into a sleep mode upon closing the book, however now it simply turns off the monitor. There is no hibernate option on my "shut down" menu, and the stand by tab is not able to be clicked. On power options, there is only the turn off monitor and turn off hard discs options, and on my services.msc, there is no hibernate. Device manager has two '!' icons under "video controller" and "video controller VGA compatable." Lastly, on Advanced for Power Options, two pull-downs exist, one "when I close the lid of my computer..." which has only the option "Do Nothing" and the other, "When I press the power button on my computer..." "Do Nothing, Ask Me, and Turn Off" all exist.

I currently am reinstalling my video card drivers from the toshiba website because of what I said above, and will edit this post if that solves the problem to say just that. Also, I spoke with the fools at the toshiba support hotline (I am sorry if anyone on this website works there) and they of course told me "reformat." Thanks for the advice Toshiba.

Any ideas of what I can do? Can I download the hibernate component from M$?

EDIT:

This seems to have worked... I downloaded the video drivers and although there is no hibernate option, Stand By is Click-able.

Edited by Icculus, 08 May 2007 - 10:13 PM.

Advertisements

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
Hi Icculus. Here a place you can check, click start, control panel,
add or remove programs, then on left side click on add/remove windows components
I'm not sure if what your looking for is in there? but check it out.

Dwight

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
If hibernate has been enabled, then you should be able to access it by holding down the shift button before clicking on standby and it should change to hibernate.

To enable hibernation, right click on desktop > select "properties" > select "screen saver" tab > left click "power" > select "hibernate" tab > tick "enable hibernation" box.

Icculus

Icculus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Hi Icculus. Here a place you can check, click start, control panel,
add or remove programs, then on left side click on add/remove windows components
I'm not sure if what your looking for is in there? but check it out.

Dwight

It wasn't there

If hibernate has been enabled, then you should be able to access it by holding down the shift button before clicking on standby and it should change to hibernate.

To enable hibernation, right click on desktop > select "properties" > select "screen saver" tab > left click "power" > select "hibernate" tab > tick "enable hibernation" box.

Thanks, Ill try that in a little bit