Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE won't open links in new window

• Please log in to reply

ladymuck

ladymuck

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi all,

VERY frustrating problem.

My laptop is three months old (Gateway laptop with Windows XP, 2.19GHz, 448MB RAM) and has worked fine up until now (as you'd hope!)

A couple of days ago I logged on to find that IE was no longer opening links in a new window. Many sites, eg Gmail (which I use), automatically open hyperlinks in a new window - at least, they did until IE decided to sabotage it. When I click the link, or right-click and select 'open in new window', the page freezes for a minute or so, before giving up. The page doesn't crash, but the link doesn't open.

So instead I'm having to Ctrl+C any URLs, open a new window, paste the URL into the address box... very frustrating. I do all my research online and habitually have lots of windows open at once, so this is really slowing me down.

Worse, when a link has been set by its sitebuilder to open in a new window but no URL is given, I simply can't use the link. :tazz:

I've cleared temp files, cleared cookies, cleared the recycle bin, restarted countless times, uninstalled all toolbars, disabled the pop-up blocker, run a virus check, and defragged the computer.

Nothing worked.

Do I need to uninstall IE or is there anything else I can do?

All help much appreciated!

Advertisements

Lightninghawk

Lightninghawk

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
It does sound like you have a Malware Problem. Do you have any type of Anit-Spyware software? If you do then I would advise you to run it (preferably in safe mode "to do this press F8 at boot-up:)

After you run Anti-spyware software. Reboot your computer and try to open your links then. If they still will not work please reply back to this and we will move your topic to the Malware forum where we have experts to help you with removing the malware.

If you do not have any anti-spyware software here are some of the best programs and there links. These programs are free. J

HiJackThis (HJT) = Download Link
Spybot -Search & Destroy = Download Link
Ad-aware SE = Download Link

Trojan and Virus Remover:
AVG = Download Link

These are a few of the programs available. If you run these and your Internet Explorer is still not working correctly I will have admin move this to the Malware Removal forum. So they can better help you.

The Lightninghawk

ladymuck

ladymuck

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thank you for such a quick reply, Lightninghawk. I will download and run Spybot, and let you know how it goes.

zywex

zywex

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
It could indeed be that such; but out of curiousity did you check out your browser settings yet? My parents had a very simular issue and all it turned out to be was Service Pack 2 being annoying.

You might try clicking on whatever link your clicking on to open in a new window while holding down the Ctrl button. I would still go with the anti-spyware approach though anyways to; if nothing else it'll help in the long run :tazz:

bfbruce

bfbruce

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello,

I was doing a search and found this page. I am having the exact same problem on my XP system.

I downloaded SpyBot and removed the spyware and/or adware.
I downloaded the AVG free version. Nothing was found.

Previously, I went to the microsoft site and reinstalled IE. That didn't work.

I was hoping that somebody might know the fix to this if I included my HiJackThis log file. Here it is. I thank you for taking the time to look at this.

Cheers,
Bruce

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 12:18:47 PM, on 4/13/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXPPS.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Softwin\BitDefender Communicator\xcommsvr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Softwin\BitDefender Scan Server\bdss.exe
C:\Program Files\Softwin\BitDefender Professional Edition\vsserv.exe
C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe
C:\Program Files\Digital Media Reader\shwiconem.exe
C:\Program Files\Softwin\BitDefender Professional Edition\bdmcon.exe
C:\Program Files\Softwin\BitDefender Professional Edition\bdnagent.exe
C:\Program Files\Softwin\BitDefender Professional Edition\bdswitch.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyexpr.exe
C:\Program Files\BigFix\BigFix.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\Netscape\Netscape\Netscp.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Directory 1 for HijackThis.zip\HijackThis.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Free\avgcc.exe
C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Free\avgemc.exe
C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Free\avgwb.dat

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = www.google.com
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://forum.bettorsforum.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = www.google.com
N3 - Netscape 7: user_pref("browser.startup.homepage", "http://home.netscape.../7_2/home.html"); (C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\4oi6j8ms.slt\prefs.js)
N3 - Netscape 7: user_pref("browser.search.defaultengine", "engine://C%3A%5CProgram%20Files%5CNetscape%5CNetscape%5Csearchplugins%5CSBWeb_01.src"); (C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\4oi6j8ms.slt\prefs.js)
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {1C044AAD-7955-4cbd-8175-501A165C4E5D} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\req.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RemoteControl] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunKistEM] C:\Program Files\Digital Media Reader\shwiconem.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BDMCon] C:\Program Files\Softwin\BitDefender Professional Edition\\bdmcon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BDNewsAgent] C:\Program Files\Softwin\BitDefender Professional Edition\\bdnagent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BDSwitchAgent] C:\Program Files\Softwin\BitDefender Professional Edition\bdswitch.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_EMC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MoneyAgent] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyexpr.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgw.exe /RUNONCE
O4 - Global Startup: BigFix.lnk = C:\Program Files\BigFix\BigFix.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &AOL Toolbar search - res://C:\Program Files\AOL Toolbar\toolbar.dll/SEARCH.HTML
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2\bin\npjpi142.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2\bin\npjpi142.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: PartyPoker.com - {B7FE5D70-9AA2-40F1-9C6B-12A255F085E1} - C:\Program Files\PartyPoker\PartyPoker.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: PartyPoker.com - {B7FE5D70-9AA2-40F1-9C6B-12A255F085E1} - C:\Program Files\PartyPoker\PartyPoker.exe
O9 - Extra button: Related - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Shdocvw.dll
O16 - DPF: {B38870E4-7ECB-40DA-8C6A-595F0A5519FF} (MsnMessengerSetupDownloadControl Class) - http://messenger.msn...pDownloader.cab
O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igfxsrvc.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: req - C:\WINDOWS\System32\req.dll
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: BitDefender Scan Server (bdss) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Softwin\BitDefender Scan Server\bdss.exe
O23 - Service: LexBce Server (LexBceS) - Lexmark International, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
O23 - Service: Intel NCS NetService (NetSvc) - Intel® Corporation - c:\Program Files\Intel\NCS\Sync\NetSvc.exe
O23 - Service: BitDefender Virus Shield (VSSERV) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Softwin\BitDefender Professional Edition\vsserv.exe
O23 - Service: BitDefender Communicator (XCOMM) - Softwin - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Softwin\BitDefender Communicator\xcommsvr.exe

zywex

zywex

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
if you have service pack 2 on your computer; the issue with the pop-up blocker and whatever internet explorer tweak that microsoft plugs in woud still be present. i had tried that on my parents machine to when i eventually realized the easy fix.

bfbruce

bfbruce

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Under Help - About it says I have IE 6.0 with SP1.

I also looked at the options and unchecked Reuse window under Browsing and that did not help. I'm baffled.

Lightninghawk

Lightninghawk

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
BFBruce. You need to atleast download to SP2. Go to microsofts homepage and do windows updates. You'll be alot more secure online with SP2 (service pack 2).

zywex. Please give instructions to how you disabled this feature. I would like to know.

Aslo Ladymuck & bfbruce. If this works for you please let me know.

Lightninghawk

Lightninghawk

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
BFBruce you do have spyware on your computer. Please post your HJT log in Malware Removal. Thank you

bfbruce

bfbruce

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Sorry for the delayed reply. I decided to watch a movie to take a break from the problem for a while and re-attack it.

I have the problem resolved. This is how I fixed it with info from another site. Hopefully, this can help some others!

Download pocket killbox from http://www.thespykil...les/killbox.exe & put it on the desktop where you can find it easily

Run killbox and paste The FIRST ONE of these lines into the box, select delete on reboot then press the red X button,say yes to the prompt but NO to reboot now

continue to paste the lines in turn and follow the above procedure every time, If it says file is missing, or if it says unable to delete then make a note of the file name and let us know when you reply

C:\WINDOWS\system32\req.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\req.exe
C:\WINDOWS\oqtpvlx.exe
C:\Program Files\ISTsvc\istsvc.exe

Then on killbox top bar press tools and then empty temp files and follow those prompts and say yes to everything

then reboot

when it reboots

Run hijackthis, put a tick in the box beside these entries listed below and ONLY these entries, double check to make sure, then make sure all browser & email windows are closed and press fix checked

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {1C044AAD-7955-4cbd-8175-501A165C4E5D} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\req.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: req - C:\WINDOWS\system32\req.dll

Advertisements

iborjo

iborjo

• Pip
  • 1 posts
bfbruce

THANK YOU!!! ;)
I have worked on this problem for 2 days and stumbled on your fix as a last resort before reformatting my hard drive!

I can now open the javascript links - although they take almost a full minute to open (any ideas on fixing that?)

But at least I can now access my on-line banking and pay my bills before my lights and water are shut off!!!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!! :tazz:

Edited by iborjo, 14 April 2005 - 12:41 AM.

ladymuck

ladymuck

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
:tazz:

Lightninghawk, bfbruce, thank you for your advice... but nothing has changed.

I ran Spybot, and it found nothing.

I downloaded and ran Pocket Killbox, pasted in the relevant files, followed your instructions, rebooted.

Then I downloaded and ran Hijackthis, ticked the right boxes, clicked press fix.

Restarted again.

Made no difference. I still can't open links.

All my XP stuff is up to date - downloaded SP updates this morning just to be sure.

I've now spent a couple of days tearing my hair out about this, and I'm supposed to be on deadline I'm freelance, so this is chewing up all my time, and it's really getting me down. I only bought this laptop at Christmas. What the [bleep] is going on?

Yours in frustration....

Edited by ladymuck, 14 April 2005 - 05:47 AM.

zywex

zywex

• PipPip
  • 49 posts

BFBruce. You need to atleast download to SP2. Go to microsofts homepage and do windows updates. You'll be alot more secure online with SP2 (service pack 2).

zywex. Please give instructions to how you disabled this feature. I would like to know.

Aslo  Ladymuck & bfbruce. If this works for you please let me know.

View Post

all we had to do was hold down Ctrl when hitting the link, like you would normally do to bring up the target in a new window. SP2 had somehow disabled the right click/ open in new window feature

ladymuck

ladymuck

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

all we had to do was hold down Ctrl when hitting the link, like you would normally do to bring up the target in a new window. SP2 had somehow disabled the right click/ open in new window feature

View Post

Tried that, but no joy. Also disabled the pop-up blocker.

I think I shall have to use a hammer instead!

Lightninghawk

Lightninghawk

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
NO NO NO! no hammers! computers have feelings too lol. don't kill it. I'm at school right now but i'll get a break in a few. I think I found something to help.